Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been thinking about a fixed gear bike and have some questions. 1. Can I use one of my road bikes and just change out the crank and rear cassette. 2. Will the bike freewheel like my road bike. 3. Who makes cranks and rear cassettes, the bike I am thinking of using has ultegra on it. 4. Any help you can give me on a converstion would help, the right awnsers here could help lead me to the fixed side.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
dom3333 said:
I have been thinking about a fixed gear bike and have some questions. 1. Can I use one of my road bikes and just change out the crank and rear cassette. 2. Will the bike freewheel like my road bike. 3. Who makes cranks and rear cassettes, the bike I am thinking of using has ultegra on it. 4. Any help you can give me on a converstion would help, the right awnsers here could help lead me to the fixed side.:rolleyes:

nope, you would need new rear wheel build also. freewheel (Single speed) or Fixed gearing is a personal choice. most rear wheel set up have the option for both ( a fixed cog on side of the hub, a single speed/freewheel gear on the other). simple involves switching the tire around to get different things. dont build it without brakes, please, its just stupid. all sorts of companies make cranks and cassettes depending on what quality you want..White is by far the highest quality...DA is descent.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
dom3333 said:
1. You can use one of your road bikes if it has horizontal dropouts, or if you want to buy a White Brothers ENO elliptical hub, or you can find a magic chainring/cog combo, or you can get a half-link to work.

2. Not only will the bike will not freewheel like your road bike, it will not freewheel like any bike. It will not freewheel at all. That's what makes it fixed. You can't coast. Ever.

3. Sugino makes good quality, moderately priced cranksets for fixed gear bikes. A rear cassette may be a moot point if you build a rear wheel with a track hub that allows for a lockring. BTW, this is highly recommended.

4. The Sheldon Brown website is quite comprehensive. Also check out the Fixed Gear Gallery for photos of fixed bikes (lots of conversions) and helpful articles.
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/

Best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.