Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody.
Firstly, I am a complete newbie to the world of cyclocross. I an a mountain biker, and I would like to give cx racing a whirl, and also it would be nice to have something a little bit more effecient tham my mountain bike for commuting. Two questions: (1) Are there cx specific rims and/or wheelsets, or are road wheels strong enough for the job? and, (2) If I wanted disc brakes, are there disc-specific rims that should be used?

Thanks,
David

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Any sturdy road wheelset will work fine. I'm a fan of simple -- 32-hole DA hubs with Open Pro rims laced x3 with 14/15 spokes. They are relatively light, sturdy, and serviceable. If you are going disc, then I suggest the same configuration but use XTR (or XT) hubs instead. You will have to make sure that the frame's rear spacing is 135 if you want to use standard mountain hubs though. There are 130 spaced disc wheels out there but I don't know what they are off the top of my head.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am pretty sure disc brakes are illegal...

At least for UCI races. I am not sure about local stuff but that is something that has crossed my mind recently. I'd love to run disc brakes. That said, there is a road disc set out there but I can't recall who makes it (SRAM???).

Also, to the new guy: try Velocity Aeroheads laced to whatever hubs you need. Preferably simple and reliable, like Ultegra or 105s

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
UCI 'cross equipment rules

CAT4ever said:
At least for UCI races. I am not sure about local stuff but that is something that has crossed my mind recently.
The UCI puts tighter restrictions on 'cross equipment than the USCF and the other US racing organizations. However, these tighter restrictions only apply to races which are UCI sanctioned. If the race is USCF, OBRA, BRAC, etc., then you can use just about anything. A lot of people do 'cross races on mountain bikes.

For UCI races:

- No disc brakes
- No flat bars
- No tires wider than 35mm

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sweet!

I'm puttin' discs on my next cross bike!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts