Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm looking to make the switch from mountain bike to a road bike. I will
be riding my bike 14 miles a day 5 days a week all on city streets. There are a few hills in the trip but nothing to daunting.
I have been to half a dozen bike shops down here in SD some more helpful than others. But I'm left trying to decide between the Specialized secteur sport and secteur compact? Is the rear wheel fork w/ "zertz" and the upgraded shifters worth the $200+ in price?
OR should I veer away from specialized and go Giants direction with the Defy?
I would really appreciate any advice on those 3 or maybe one I'm missing? Thank you for your time!

PS this is my dads account and he is probably going to lose it when e finds out I made him sound like such a novice. But I do genuinely need the advice!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I think you'd be very satisfied with the Giant Defy Series, personally. The Giant Defy Advanced won the Cycling Plus road bicycle of the year award for a reason: www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/bike-of-the-year-2013-giant-defy-advanced-2-36592/ Carbon fiber frame and fork w/105 Gruppo
The Giant Defy 2 has also won an award. I test rode the Giant Defy 2 just this past March and it felt like some kinda magic carpet rolling high upon the hills of Oakland, on Skyline Boulevard. The Giant Defy 2 also won the road bicycle of the year award (2013), as Editor's Choice from Cycling magazine. Aluminum frame/CF fork/Tiagra Gruppo

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
As far as the drivetrain goes, for what you're going to do, 2300 is fine. One extra cog in the cassette isn't going to be a big deal, because with both an 8 speed 12-28, and a 9 speed 11-30, you're going to have gaps between cogs. Unless you're going to be bombing downhills at 35+, you probably won't ever use your 11t cog on the Sora cassette. I put a lot of miles on a bike with 2300 derailleurs and 8 speed Microshift shifters. The frame failed well before the shifters. Brand-wise, they're both good companies with reputations for good warranty service. Any differences in an entry-level alloy frame aren't going to be apparent to you. Concentrate more on dealing with a good shop that can do a good job on the fit. That's many times more important than upgraded seat stays that won't make any difference that you'll be able to notice. :wink:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Steps:

1) Define your budget
2) Visit local shops, take bikes for test rides
3) make sure the bikes you are testing fit you
4) pick the bike which gives you the biggest grin
5) Ride. Lots. Wear out bike.
6) Repeat.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Steps:

1) Define your budget
2) Visit local shops, take bikes for test rides
3) make sure the bikes you are testing fit you
4) pick the bike which gives you the biggest grin
5) Ride. Lots. Wear out bike.
6) Repeat.
Yep, it is that simple.

And as a new rider only buy from a LBS that will fit you to that bike. Fitting is really important; more important than which model bike you buy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.