Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in part to the helpful information on these forums, I am now the proud owner of my first road bike -- the Specialized Sirrus, which fit my needs (~20 mile rides, working up to 100K for next summer) and my budget. It still has the manufacturer's pedals: platforms with the plastic toe clip/strap system. Maybe someday I'll be ready for clipless but I figured I shouldn't do that first thing.

Thus my LBS sold me a pair of Pearl Izumi Quest II MTB shoes that have recessed cleats for clipless pedals, if I end up getting them. The shoes were 50% off and fit nicely, but I just tried to ride, and damned if I could NOT wedge these shoes into the toe clips. I think it's because the treads are so big. I was desperate to ride, so just flipped the pedals over and pedaled on them upside down, which I don't know if you're even supposed to do with toe clip pedals. Anyway, it didn't work well. The only non-treaded portion of the shoe is behind the ball of the foot, so that's where the platform pedal fit -- and so I slipped off a lot. When I got home I took the shoe off and tried to fit it in the toe clip with my hands and it still didn't want to go, so I'm pretty sure I wasn't just putting my foot in wrong (right?).

Am I correct in thinking that any shoe with a noticeable tread will make toe clips difficult? Any suggestions for a better shoe that will work with a toe clip or platform AND allow me to graduate to clipless someday if I become confident enough to do that? (I'm a lady, by the way, if that makes a difference with shoes.)

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Congrats on the new bike... nice choice!! :thumbsup:

Considering your gender, I'm a little surprised that you didn't end up with a Vita, but not all women require WSD geo.

Regarding the shoe/ pedal situation, get ready for a barrage of posts telling you you're 1/2 way to getting clipless pedals, so just go for them and you'll resolve the toe clip issue. They may have a point. :) But as a FYI, the clips come in sizes, so ask your LBS to swap yours for a larger size.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
You're 1/2 way to getting clipless pedals, so just go for them and you'll resolve the toe clip issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tommy Walker said:
You're 1/2 way to getting clipless pedals, so just go for them and you'll resolve the toe clip issue.
Hahaha... I saw that coming. But this is great to know, I didn't realize the clips came in different sizes. I'm going to go back to the shop today and ask about that. Maybe spend the fall riding in the clips (seriously, I've only ever ridden platforms before so even that's a change) and then in the spring, when I'm a bit more confident, try for clipless.

As for the Vita, yeah, of course the LBS suggested I take it for a spin. For whatever reason it just didn't feel as good as the Sirrus. My geometry or the bike's, dunno.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
chatfield5 said:
Hahaha... I saw that coming. But this is great to know, I didn't realize the clips came in different sizes. I'm going to go back to the shop today and ask about that. Maybe spend the fall riding in the clips (seriously, I've only ever ridden platforms before so even that's a change) and then in the spring, when I'm a bit more confident, try for clipless.

As for the Vita, yeah, of course the LBS suggested I take it for a spin. For whatever reason it just didn't feel as good as the Sirrus. My geometry or the bike's, dunno.
I think building some saddle time to become accustomed to the bike before going clipless is a fine plan. Many here (me included) see some value in going clipless, but there's no harm in riding with your current setup.

RE: the Vita, it was more an observation. I'm sure between your LBS and your test rides you ended up with the right bike/ geo for you. I personally don't like the WSD designation, because it's basically designed for riders proportioned long leg/ short torso, and that can apply to either gender.

EDIT: An example of toe clip sizing:
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Product_10053_10052_175264_-1___

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Shame on the LBS for selling you those shoes if they knew you planned on not getting new pedals any time soon. When I was younger, I rode with toe clips for thousands of miles, and I was very happy. Granted, I didn't know there was better out there either. Ride your bike for a while with regular shoes, and if you really want to get better, then get new pedals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts