Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Help clarify for new person, I am looking for a 80 mm stem oversize clamp 31.8? and a 17 deg rise (as designated by fit person). I am kind of unable to find the part, does anyone have any thoughts? I went to my LBS and he was like 17 deg to the 90 deg plane? ?

The bike is a r3 cervelo.

How do I interpret the stem degrees sometimes I see stuff in the 70-130 and othertimes I see it as 10-20 degrees.

Thanks for the clarification.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Opus51569 said:
A quick Google search for "bicycle stem 17 degree rise 80mm" found Ritchey, Bontrager and Origin8 all make what you're looking for. Happy Googling :)
I agree that Bonty offers what the OP needs, but (I think) the Ritchey has a 26.0 mm clamp and the Origin 8 doesn't come in the correct length/ angle combo. Or... your Google is smarter than my Google. :eek:

To the OP:
The 70-130mm designation is the generally acceptable stem lengths. You apparently need an 80mm.

The degree designation is the angle of drop or rise. Using 90 degrees (from steerer tube), a 73 degree stem would have a 17 degree rise or drop (roughly parallel with the ground).

To my knowledge Specialized also comes close to what you need. There's a 75 and 90mm 31.8, 17 degree (4 way adjustable) stem, but only available in white at the moment. You could contact customer service for more info.
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=41846&menuItemId=9305&eid=5135

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
whason said:
Price is definitely right for that stem and it is what I'm looking for. Is that company reputable? I've never heard of them. I'm not particular, but I just want somethign that is safe.
I have 2 sets of wheels from that company and they have been great, and I also have a 100mm 17* stem from them too it will be going on my next build. If theirs ever a problem or question with a Neuvation Cycling product you can contact the owner of the company very easily through email, and the time it take the company owner to reply is very fast.

· Registered
9,700 Posts
whason said:
Price is definitely right for that stem and it is what I'm looking for. Is that company reputable? I've never heard of them. I'm not particular, but I just want somethign that is safe.
The company doesn't actually make anything (to the best of my knowledge) but they are reputable as far as selecting stuff to put their name on goes. I wouldn't have any safety concerns. They're generally cheap because they cut out the middle man not because they put their name on garbage. They are lesser known but have a great 'bang for the buck' reputation amoungst those who do know of them.
I say 'them' but it's actually a one man show.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.