Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to ride a road bike quite a bit but gave it up about ten years ago. Got the itch and picked up a new-to-me Salsa Campeon. Going to take a while to get the legs built up again. Old age has taken her toll. Really looking forward to enjoying many miles though. I actually have a buddy who's going to ride with me some this time. That's something I never did before due to work schedules, speed, distance, etc.
Anyway, It's good to be back.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle tire

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Nice bike! Welcome back to the world of road riding - and to the forum. :)

To enhance your riding enjoyment, you may want to consider a bike fit. A standard fitting should do you fine.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
almost bought that back in the day. went for the steel la raza instead. last night, crusing around on it, i wondered what salsas road line looked like, now that they have gone to mostly gravel bikes.

nothing, really. so i will hang on to my salsa roadie, and i suggest you hang on to that scandium dreambike of yours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the nice comments regarding my new bike. I was torn between the Salsa and a Giant TCR. The fact that the Salsa had a full Dura Ace groupset (minus the wheelset) was the tipping factor.

Although I am excited about returning to riding, this cycling thing can get expensive rather quickly when one is starting from scratch.
When I rode before, I had several nice jerseys and shorts including a couple of US Postal jerseys. I also had a nice pair of Nike Poggio carbon shoes but everything went in a yard sale after I sold my bike.

So I've had to re-invest and it adds up. In addition to the bike:
Brooks Cambium C17 saddle
Salsa quick-release seat clamp.
Shimano Ultegra 12/27 cassette to replace the 11/23
Shimano Ultegra chain
Easton 80mm stem
Easton EC70 SL round handlebar to replace the aero, flat-top
Look Keo Max pedals
Garmin Edge 25 with cadence and speed sensors
Bell Volt helmet
Sidi Genius fit carbon Mega Shoes
Two steel water bottle cages w/bottles
Pearl Izumi Bib shorts/jersey/gloves
Red handlebar tape
Small, under-saddle case for ID, tube, money, phone, energy bar and CO2.
And, a complete tune-up at the bike shop. Should get it back today or tomorrow.

The only piece of equipment I still had from before was my Ultraflate pro CO2 kit.

So...barring any health issues, I will be hitting the road this weekend to a rude-awakening I'm sure; The fact that I am out of shape will smack me right in the face. If I can get a nice 10-20 mile ride completed, it will be a good start to my comeback.

·
Registered
396 Posts
So...barring any health issues, I will be hitting the road this weekend to a rude-awakening I'm sure; The fact that I am out of shape will smack me right in the face. If I can get a nice 10-20 mile ride completed, it will be a good start to my comeback.
Welcome back. We all gotta [re]start somewhere. Just take it easy and you'll get back into it. 3 years ago, I rode from my house to a park that is 3 miles away. I was huffing and puffing and a hot mess. Now I'm a hot mess after 50 miles :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got back from a ride and I see now that getting back into (riding) shape is going to be work. The worst part was the soreness in my neck from holding my head up the entire ride. I know it will get easier but I'm also going to try and ride some old country roads so I can drop my head/line of sight at various times during the next ride.
I envy those group riders that only have to focus on the wheel in front of them.
All in all though, it felt good to be back in the saddle.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Appreciate the nice comments regarding my new bike. I was torn between the Salsa and a Giant TCR. The fact that the Salsa had a full Dura Ace groupset (minus the wheelset) was the tipping factor.

Although I am excited about returning to riding, this cycling thing can get expensive rather quickly when one is starting from scratch.
When I rode before, I had several nice jerseys and shorts including a couple of US Postal jerseys. I also had a nice pair of Nike Poggio carbon shoes but everything went in a yard sale after I sold my bike.

So I've had to re-invest and it adds up. In addition to the bike:
Brooks Cambium C17 saddle
Salsa quick-release seat clamp.
Shimano Ultegra 12/27 cassette to replace the 11/23
Shimano Ultegra chain
Easton 80mm stem
Easton EC70 SL round handlebar to replace the aero, flat-top
Look Keo Max pedals
Garmin Edge 25 with cadence and speed sensors
Bell Volt helmet
Sidi Genius fit carbon Mega Shoes
Two steel water bottle cages w/bottles
Pearl Izumi Bib shorts/jersey/gloves
Red handlebar tape
Small, under-saddle case for ID, tube, money, phone, energy bar and CO2.
And, a complete tune-up at the bike shop. Should get it back today or tomorrow.

The only piece of equipment I still had from before was my Ultraflate pro CO2 kit.

Welcome back! Nice bike! And yep, a healthy cocaine addiction is cheaper, and you spend a lot less time alone, with all the new fake friends. Haha.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Just got back from a ride and I see now that getting back into (riding) shape is going to be work. The worst part was the soreness in my neck from holding my head up the entire ride. I know it will get easier but I'm also going to try and ride some old country roads so I can drop my head/line of sight at various times during the next ride.
I envy those group riders that only have to focus on the wheel in front of them.
All in all though, it felt good to be back in the saddle.
After reading about your soreness, I scanned through the thread and didn't see any mention of bike fit.

With acclimation (to road riding) comes some discomfort, but if you haven't yet gotten a fitting, I strongly suggest it. Nice bikes/ components/ accessories are all 'nice to have' but won't mean much if you aren't comfortable riding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got back from a ride and I see now that getting back into (riding) shape is going to be work.........All in all though, it felt good to be back in the saddle.
LOL, if I'd done a introductory 1st post it would have read exactly as yours. It's been 10 weeks ago today that I took my newly purchased ride out and that was for about 4 miles. Every ride has been a bit farther and a bit easier so I'm sure it will come back to you. I now do a quick 12 or 13 miles after work just for a quick work out and am hitting the mid 20's on the weekend. Congrats, good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took an extended break from riding as well and couldn't believe how out shape my legs had gotten. You'll quickly get them back in a few weeks. I also feel your pain about the equipment, etc. I had tons of jerseys and pants and could never find them. My wife was none too pleased seeing the bank account riddled with bike shop transactions.

Stick with it this time. No more excuses for me. Like the bike as well!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.