Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have a steel frame bianchi formula two frame, and im trying to replace and upgrade a few parts. Im not sure what sizes fit on this older frame, but heres whats in question:

1. stem - im measuring roughly 23.3mm diameter on the current stem- this doesnt seem like any of the standard sizes, what gives?

2. bottom bracket and crankset - will newer components, like shimano BB and crankset fit?

3. seatpost - i measured 27.2mm diameter, this seems perfect, just thought id list 1 out of 3 which seems to be a sensible measurement!

Are these specifications online anywhere for my bike?

Thanks!

-Anish

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
27.2 seatpost is a steel frame standard. Should be very easy to find.

bb & crank shouldn't be an issue. Make sure you get a bb with Italian threads. Pretty much any road crank will work.

Stem. Not sure exactly what you mean. Is it a quill stem? If you're changing to an ahead-set type, you'll need a fork with a 1" steerer. Same for the stem. Or...are you talking about what size handlebars the stem will accomodate?

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, its a quill stem...Ahead set stem is like newer bikes? I didnt realize I could change to this, whats required to do so? My question was the diameter of the stem, as I found stems with different sizes and I assumed these meant different diameters.

With bottom bracket and crank, can I use octilink? Will this work with my frame? What considerations are there to make sure its compatible with the frame? Just italian threads? Also, how do I figure out what size bottom bracket to get?

Thanks for your help.

-Anish

Mr. Versatile said:
27.2 seatpost is a steel frame standard. Should be very easy to find.

bb & crank shouldn't be an issue. Make sure you get a bb with Italian threads. Pretty much any road crank will work.

Stem. Not sure exactly what you mean. Is it a quill stem? If you're changing to an ahead-set type, you'll need a fork with a 1" steerer. Same for the stem. Or...are you talking about what size handlebars the stem will accomodate?

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I'm not a Shimano guy, so I don't know much about Octalink. I can't see a reason why it couldn't be fitted to your frame, though.

Sure, you can change to an ahead set type of stem, but you'll also have to get a new fork. I did this swap with my early 90's steel DeRosa last winter. I got an all carbon fiber fork with a non-threaded steerer tube. Naturally, I changed the stem, and also had to change the headset. You'll need to know your frame size, what size steerer tube, (there are only 2...1" & 1 1/4"). If you're not mechanically adept, I'd suggest letting your LBS do this for you.

You didn't say how old your Bianci is, but BB sizes are pretty standard. If you have a triple, you'll need a longer crank axle.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
You have options

First the stem. Quill type stems are slowly beginning to get harder to find, especially if you want a longer size extension like 12 or longer. That being said, you could get a 1" Cinelli quill adapter and use a modern type stem, no need for a new fork or headset. Now if you wanted to use a quill stem you will need to start hunting, if it does not matter to you, adapter is the cheapest route $20+ buying a stem to fit.

BB and crank. May not need a BB either, if it is serviceable. Have it cleaned and regreased and it probably will be good to go. Most likely it is a square taper interface with the crank arms. Sugino makes really nice square taper cranks, do a google search. I see a guy on ebay, Ben's bikes, has them (touring crank for example) $79 or so. Harris Cyclery also has Sugino.

Seat post, already covered by other poster.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
BTW, I just noticed my typo on stem/steerer size. Should have been 1" and 1 1/8. Sorry 'bout that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.