Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Just an ordinary Joe!
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Was the Force Powerglide crankset a 1 for 1 swap with the Apex crankset that came stock? I've been thinking about swapping mine out.
Yes it was. The only thing you have to do is not use the big wide spacer that is on the Apex setup. Other than that it is a perfect matchup.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My Orca is a BB30 from the factory.
Right - I know that the frame is set up for BB30 with a 68 mm machined bearing housing installed to contain a BB30 bottom bracket - but you originally had an Apex crank - which only comes with a threaded GXP bottom bracket. The Orca frame would have some sort of adapter to allow for the GXP set up.

Force is available in GXP and BB30 - so my question is, did you remove the GXP adapter and go with a true BB30 set up (pressed bearings with c-clip) - or did you thread another GXP bottom bracket in to use the Force cranks?

·
Just an ordinary Joe!
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Right - I know that the frame is set up for BB30 with a 68 mm machined bearing housing installed to contain a BB30 bottom bracket - but you originally had an Apex crank - which only comes with a threaded GXP bottom bracket. The Orca frame would have some sort of adapter to allow for the GXP set up.

Force is available in GXP and BB30 - so my question is, did you remove the GXP adapter and go with a true BB30 set up (pressed bearings with c-clip) - or did you thread another GXP bottom bracket in to use the Force cranks?
Nothing threaded. It was a total press fit. The Force I installed was press fit too.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My bad. I had not realized that Apex was ever available in a BB30 configuration. But as i look closer - I do see some on Ebay.

Thanks for setting me straight.

BTW - my Orca B frame should be built up tomorrow. It will be full force - with Red shifters and Praxis Works chain rings. Same color as yours.

The reason I was curious - was the frame that Orbea sent me had a threaded adapter installed in the BB - and I was making the conversion to BB30.

thanks, again.

·
Just an ordinary Joe!
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My bad. I had not realized that Apex was ever available in a BB30 configuration. But as i look closer - I do see some on Ebay.

Thanks for setting me straight.

BTW - my Orca B frame should be built up tomorrow. It will be full force - with Red shifters and Praxis Works chain rings. Same color as yours.

The reason I was curious - was the frame that Orbea sent me had a threaded adapter installed in the BB - and I was making the conversion to BB30.

thanks, again.
No problem. It does get confusing for sure all these different configurations. You can actually take my frame and add the adapter to be threaded to use more than just BB30 systems.

You will have to post pictures when you get that built up!

·
Registered
274 Posts
mtsheron;4743505You will have to post pictures when you get that built up![/QUOTE said:
Hoping to have it tonight. LBS ordered the wrong bearings - or I would already have it.

I will be anxious to see what the new ride ends up weighing. I was quite disappointed that the Orca B frame itself weighs around 300g more than the Onix. You get some of that difference back (about 200g) when you put the fork into the mix (onix has alloy steer tube).

Also - I started a thread about tires on this frame - was hoping that you and the other Bronze owners would chime in.

Thanks.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts