Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved these a couple of days ago from Ligero Wheelworks in Chattanooga, Tn, AKA Bikemesenger. My new wheels are Alex 3.1 Crostini rims laced two across with Black Sapim Cxray spokes, 24 front and 28 rear to Tune 70 and 180 hubs. Why does tune make such a pretty cassette freehub that will be hidden by the cassette? That red is hot. I originally wanted a 24 rear but Troy called me and didn't think it was wise and felt uncomfortable building a 24 rear with such a light rim. If we went with my original build it would have been about, four spokes and nipples, 20 grams less. I can respect Troy advise since he was very concerned about reliability and making the lightest wheel he could. . I opted for the Crostsini 3.1 even though the overall wheelset weight is close, these have a 370 gram rims verses the 400 gram rims of the RD400's, I would rather have less rotataing weight at the rim since weight has more of an effect on the wheel when it is farther from the hub. I also could have save a few grams if I would have had the front laced radial verses the 2 across that I chose for the lacing but every wheel I have is radial on the front and I just wanted something different. They look very sweet and pictures could never do them justice compared to seeing them with your own eyes and feeling the balance of the wheels. The final build weight was 1279 grams with the stickers intack. Pealing those twelve vinyl stickers will drop it down to about 1265 easy but I do like the graphics so they stay for now. Very unusual for a sticker pealer.

Here's the ride report:

First I shoed then with Vittoria Diamante Pro light tires and Maxxis flylight tubes and rime strips and a Cycle-Dynamics 12-23 Campy style cassette. They spin forever. Tire mounting on the Crostini's was pretty easy by hand. No sore thumbs this morning but just enough difficulty that I'm sure the tires are on very secure and I could almost bet the tires won't roll off. Overall I'm very pleased with them so far and they did come in under my Rolf Prima Elan Aeros that wieghed 1308 grams on the same scale. Weightwise they are great for fair weather training wheels.

So I started out to only take a short first ride and wound up turning into a much longer ride than anticipated. Are they stiff? Very and they felt great cornering hard! Do the accelerate quickly, another big YES. Not only are those Tune hubs pretty to look at the ride so damn nice too! The braking is much better than my Rolf Prima Elan Aero's. There is not the brake pulsing that the Rolf's have although you do hear a bit of a thunk on the front rim since they are pinned and not welded. Where I live is pretty flat but the couple of little hills I did encounter had me going up a gear or two lower than I usually ride on them. Maybe it was just one of those days but I really think it was the wheels. They do freewheel pretty loud but pedaling fixes that. I was very happy to get them but now that I have ridden them I'm plenty satisified with them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Gorgeous wheels Juan, a very nice addition to your stable.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
I just recieved these a couple of days ago from Ligero Wheelworks in Chattanooga, Tn, AKA Bikemesenger. My new wheels are Alex 3.1 Crostini rims laced two across with Black Sapim Cxray spokes, 24 front and 28 rear to Tune 70 and 180 hubs. Why does tune make such a pretty cassette freehub that will be hidden by the cassette? That red is hot. I originally wanted a 24 rear but Troy called me and didn't think it was wise and felt uncomfortable building a 24 rear with such a light rim. If we went with my original build it would have been about, four spokes and nipples, 20 grams less. I can respect Troy advise since he was very concerned about reliability and making the lightest wheel he could. . I opted for the Crostsini 3.1 even though the overall wheelset weight is close, these have a 370 gram rims verses the 400 gram rims of the RD400's, I would rather have less rotataing weight at the rim since weight has more of an effect on the wheel when it is farther from the hub. I also could have save a few grams if I would have had the front laced radial verses the 2 across that I chose for the lacing but every wheel I have is radial on the front and I just wanted something different. They look very sweet and pictures could never do them justice compared to seeing them with your own eyes and feeling the balance of the wheels. The final build weight was 1279 grams with the stickers intack. Pealing those twelve vinyl stickers will drop it down to about 1265 easy but I do like the graphics so they stay for now. Very unusual for a sticker pealer.

Here's the ride report:

First I shoed then with Vittoria Diamante Pro light tires and Maxxis flylight tubes and rime strips and a Cycle-Dynamics 12-23 Campy style cassette. They spin forever. Tire mounting on the Crostini's was pretty easy by hand. No sore thumbs this morning but just enough difficulty that I'm sure the tires are on very secure and I could almost bet the tires won't roll off. Overall I'm very pleased with them so far and they did come in under my Rolf Prima Elan Aeros that wieghed 1308 grams on the same scale. Weightwise they are great for fair weather training wheels.

So I started out to only take a short first ride and wound up turning into a much longer ride than anticipated. Are they stiff? Very and they felt great cornering hard! Do the accelerate quickly, another big YES. Not only are those Tune hubs pretty to look at the ride so damn nice too! The braking is much better than my Rolf Prima Elan Aero's. There is not the brake pulsing that the Rolf's have although you do hear a bit of a thunk on the front rim since they are pinned and not welded. Where I live is pretty flat but the couple of little hills I did encounter had me going up a gear or two lower than I usually ride on them. Maybe it was just one of those days but I really think it was the wheels. They do freewheel pretty loud but pedaling fixes that. I was very happy to get them but now that I have ridden them I'm plenty satisified with them.
Nice wheels, of course.

I gotta say, though, that all your nice bike kit...and you've got a lot of it....clashes badly with the H-D motorpickle. You need to upgrade the motorpickle to a brand that goes nicely with you bike stuff.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Juanmoretime said:

Here's the ride report:

Juanmoretime,

Very nice looking set of wheels! Good research & build.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alienator said:
Nice wheels, of course.

I gotta say, though, that all your nice bike kit...and you've got a lot of it....clashes badly with the H-D motorpickle. You need to upgrade the motorpickle to a brand that goes nicely with you bike stuff.:rolleyes:
The Harley does compliment the bikes. An old design, like the double triangle frame, while taking avantage of modern materials and technology. Lycra and leather, both have their place!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
The Harley does compliment the bikes. An old design, like the double triangle frame, while taking avantage of modern materials and technology. Lycra and leather, both have their place!

I'll give you cash if you spend a day riding your Harley 'round town, whilst wearing lycra bike shorts....and they have to be visible to everyone on the road. Heh.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and the review. I look forward to receiving my wheels from Troy by the end of this week or the first part of next week. I went with the White Industry H1 hubs instead of the Tune. Mine should weigh around 1390 grams. Is this the first set you have had build by Ligero Wheelworks?

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kevinmcdade said:
Thanks for the pictures and the review. I look forward to receiving my wheels from Troy by the end of this week or the first part of next week. I went with the White Industry H1 hubs instead of the Tune. Mine should weigh around 1390 grams. Is this the first set you have had build by Ligero Wheelworks?
Yes it is although I can say it won't be the last.

After riding them again a few times after posting the review they keep getting better. I can't even look at my Rolf's right now.

Please post pictures and a ride report after you receive them.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alienator said:
I'll give you cash if you spend a day riding your Harley 'round town, whilst wearing lycra bike shorts....and they have to be visible to everyone on the road. Heh.
How about a "marblebag" from back in my triathlon days. Maybe something in a tropical print?

·
Registered
146 Posts
kevinmcdade said:
Those are the hubs Troy is using to build a set for me with the Sapim CX-Ray and the Crosstini 3.1/3.2 rims. It has been a long wait for the hubs and the trip to the anodizer, but I am sure they will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Juan,
Thanks for getting me in touch with Ligero. My wheels are waiting for a R3.1 28h for the rear before he can build them up around Tune hubs. Just a few more weeks of waiting. :) Can't wait to try them up Hayter's Gap:D

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bikeuphill9 said:
Juan,
Thanks for getting me in touch with Ligero. My wheels are waiting for a R3.1 28h for the rear before he can build them up around Tune hubs. Just a few more weeks of waiting. :) Can't wait to try them up Hayter's Gap:D
The wait (weight) will be worth it!

·
Registered
120 Posts
My new set from Troy came in yesterday (R400 rim, CX-rays, anodized White Ind. hubs) and they look great! Wish I could say the same about the weather - maybe I can try them out tomorrow.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Hey Alien....

alienator said:
Nice wheels, of course.

Isn't Liegro building a pair for you? where are they? You Know us Moots owners are an impatient bunch- where's the pics.
Juan,
those are beaut, sick I say. I'd like to have a pair for meself. Does he make cross wheels too? I've got me paws on the last "stumptown" cross frame in my size and have a new project...:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think Alien and my hubs both got stuck on the slow boat.

From my (frequent - sorry Troy) conversations w/Troy it sounds like first White Ind gave him the runaround followed by the anodizers... I'm eagerly awaiting a set of White Ind./Sapim CX/Alex R400's which are due midweek next week.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Isn't Liegro building a pair for you? where are they? You Know us Moots owners are an impatient bunch- where's the pics.
Juan,
those are beaut, sick I say. I'd like to have a pair for meself. Does he make cross wheels too? I've got me paws on the last "stumptown" cross frame in my size and have a new project...:D
I'm just waitin' for the wheels to be done. Mine will take a hair longer 'cuz he has to send the hubs out to be anodized black. They're gonna be black in honor of the verification that Hawking radiation was a real phenomena (You know, where in a black hole a virtual pair of particles is created inside the event horizon. One of the pair crosses the event horizon, becoming real and leaving the black hole, while the other, still virtual, falls toward the singularity, thus maintaining conservation of energy.....).:cool:

Ligero will build whatever you want. Wheel buildin' is wheel buildin'............

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Srexy said:
I think Alien and my hubs both got stuck on the slow boat.

From my (frequent - sorry Troy) conversations w/Troy it sounds like first White Ind gave him the runaround followed by the anodizers... I'm eagerly awaiting a set of White Ind./Sapim CX/Alex R400's which are due midweek next week.
I wouldn't know....Troy doesn't call or send me flowers anymore. I think he was using me for my money.:rolleyes: See what happens when you pour your heart out to someone? They just run a belt sander w/ 50 grit sandpaper all over your heart, rub habanero sauce into your wounds, and break the heels off your best Nine West pumps. I'll never again be able to listen to what was our song.....

"Goodbye to you, my trusted friend.
We've known each other since we're nine or ten.
Together we climbed hills or trees.
Learned of love and ABC's,
skinned our hearts and skinned our knees.

Goodbye my friend, it's hard to die,
when all the birds are singing in the sky,
Now that the spring is in the air.
Pretty girls are everywhere.
When you see them I'll be there.

We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.
But the hills that we climbed
were just seasons out of time.

Goodbye, Papa, please pray for me,
I was the black sheep of the family.
You tried to teach me right from wrong.
Too much wine and too much song,
wonder how I get along.

Goodbye, Papa, it's hard to die
when all the birds are singing in the sky,
Little children everywhere.
When you see them I'll be there.

But the wine and the song,
like the seasons, all have gone.

Goodbye, Michelle, my little one.
You gave me love and helped me find the sun.
And every time that I was down
you would always come around
and get my feet back on the ground.

Goodbye, Michelle, it's hard to die
when all the bird are singing in the sky,
With the flowers ev'rywhere.
I whish that we could both be there.

But the stars we could reach
were just starfishs on the beach."

·
Registered
838 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Juan,
I have some deep section magnesium rims that I use when someone wants lgiht cyclocross wheels. The rims are 29mm tall and weigh 400 grams each but they are only available in 28 and 32h, which is perfect for cross.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Ligero said:
I have some deep section magnesium rims that I use when someone wants lgiht cyclocross wheels. The rims are 29mm tall and weigh 400 grams each but they are only available in 28 and 32h, which is perfect for cross.
Clincher or tubbie?

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
trip221 said:
My new set from Troy came in yesterday (R400 rim, CX-rays, anodized White Ind. hubs) and they look great! Wish I could say the same about the weather - maybe I can try them out tomorrow.
Come on now lets have some pictures. Actual weight?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts