Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone read out of the Speedplay handbook...

BRIN said:
GREENVILLE, S.C. (BRAIN) — Michelin North America's bicycle tire division has started enforcing a new "Unilateral Minimum Advertised Price" (UMAP) policy that includes the prohibition of third party sales of its products. The policy covers its two exclusive distributors in North America, Quality Bicycle Products in the U.S. and Lambert in Canada.
The policy, which began on May 1, 2016, prohibits retailers from using online third party market places, such as eBay or Amazon, for the display, promotion, sale, or fulfillment of any Michelin bicycle product.

Retailers also are forbidden from advertising Michelin bike products below MAP. Michelin said it has begun closely monitoring and enforcing this policy.

Michelin updates MAP policy in North America, bans third-party online sales | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Read about the subject here. Note that in the UK and Europe, this is considered illegal. Ironic, no?

in relation to competition, Article 101 and Article 102 of the Treaty on Functioning of the EU (TFEU) are paramount over all member states' national laws relating to competition. The ECJ and the Commission have both held that Resale Price Maintenance is generally prohibited. UK law must apply this interpretation when dealing with inter member-state agreements between undertakings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resale_price_maintenance

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
This deals with authorized dealers that by from the official distributors. Many sellers on eBay buy "retail" from Europe and resell in North America.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Their car tires are simply the best, the road cycling tires? Crap at best. I'm staying on Vittoria Corsa Gs. Better than crappy Michelin cycling tires.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
The only reason I tried a Michelin tire (Pro 4 Endurance) was because it was cheap. I wasn't impressed with the puncture protection, and now with this price fixing I have another reason to not use their tires again.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Why does it matter when you can buy them for half the price from the UK with free or very low shipping (Ribble). Walking into a LBS and paying $60 for a tire is just plain dumb.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I've never tried them, certainly won't now.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
They're protecting their dealers and business in North America. It's smart, not dumb, the same as most of the best, most successful brands do (can't buy Specialized, Trek, Cannondale 3rd party).

Next step will be taking away access by the discount houses in the EU.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts