Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Man, this sucks...

I have to agree with Bianchigirl. You have to have your head in the sand to believe this is the only dope doctor out there.

Could be a very thin start list by the start of the prologue.

·
Master of flip comments
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David Millar

cthomas said:
I have to agree with Bianchigirl. You have to have your head in the sand to believe this is the only dope doctor out there.

Could be a very thin start list by the start of the prologue.
I never really thought that much of David Millar, he was talked up a lot by Phil and Paul but never *really* hit the big time until he doped. However, I love his comments as posted on cyclingnews.com (stolen from them):

In the midst of all the doping scandals going on in the Tour, there is a certain irony about the return of David Millar to racing. After police searched his home in 2004, Millar admitted to using EPO to win the 2003 world time trial championships (among other races), and received a two year suspension that has just run its course. Millar said that he is now ready to race without doping, and called the events in Spain "fantastic news".

"Cycling is the most beautiful sport in the world," said the Brit on Thursday. "I had to watch the 2005 Tour de France on TV, and I felt excited, just like a child. I realised I was very lucky that my first race back would be the Tour. I needed to believe in myself and work hard. Fortunately, many people trusted me: the British team, Mauro Gianetti, Matxin and the Saunier Duval-Prodir team, and, of course, my family. It´s like a new beginning; everything is new to me.

"I want to prove that it is definitely possible to win without doping," Millar told Sportwereld.be. "I don't want any more ambiguity. "I am now one hundred percent clean. In the years left in my career, I will have to convince the fans, my colleagues, and the journalists that I am now an honest rider. I hope that my story is a positive message for this sport. I f**ked up: I lied, I did wrong, I cheated, and I have to live with that now. I hope that the new generation of riders can gain the respect of the public. It's already proven by the scandals in Spain that the sport doesn't deserve that respect yet. Cycling will also need years to build up its credibility again."

"It's going in the right direction, I really mean that. What happened in Spain in the last weeks is fantastic news. Through those sort of anti-doping actions, the organised doping networks will be slowly dismantled. The belief that you can't win without doping, must stop. It's up to the current riders to convince the younger generations."

·
Master of flip comments
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ultimobici said:
TDF Prologue in 2000? Didn't admit to dope then did he?
no, probably not. I think he started doping until later. You may take exception to my wording, but I always thought his success was overshadowed by the amount of hype generated by Phil and Paul. I also recall his tantrum at the Vuelta where he DQ'd himself by taking off his race number just before the finish line of a particularly nasty stage. However, if what he is saying is now is true then I support him fully.

I've always felt that doping was forgivable if the guys just come out and admit it and reform. I don't like the guys that swear up and down that they are clean in face of mounting proof (Hamilton - who was my hero when he won that stage with a broken collarbone).

These guys are great athletes, but they're screwing each other (and themselves) over by doping.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,288 Posts
Shocking, but not a surprise.

Riders have usually been able to keep one step ahead of the tests, with the occasional positive. The Spanish investigation blows the whole situation wide open, exposing that the majority is likely doping.

This also makes Armstrong's stance of innocence less believable. Remember, he was beating Basso and Ullrich by huge margins during several stages the last few years, and they were (most likely) doping! How could a clean Armstrong beat dopers... yep, you guessed it.

It appears that the only ones not doping are names we have never heard of.

·
Registered
28 Posts
All of 'em

I think they all dope. I used to want to think that it was only a few, but I've come to the realization that no one can reach that level without doping. If all the peleton is doped then how can a clean, new pro rider ever expect to get a contract much less win races. I think that in the recent past it has been almost a pre requiset to being a pro.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
I agree with B girl

these ain't the only Docs,but these have to be the dumbest clients.
yeah I'm gonna pick a guy with 50 other clients in the peloton who also happens to be a gynecologist so that if we do get caught we'll have no plausible alternative explanation.
If you ever go to a jail, you'll find the crooks who get caught are the dumb/lazy ones.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Maybe I'm a naive goober, but I still hold out a belief that it's possible LA was clean. I recognize these 50+ riders now outed never tested positive, but how many times were they tested relative to LA. It's been said and I think it's true he was tested more than anybody else. In any event he's retired. Go Floyd!

·
Master of flip comments
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Goob!

96gators said:
Maybe I'm a naive goober, but I still hold out a belief that it's possible LA was clean. I recognize these 50+ riders now outed never tested positive, but how many times were they tested relative to LA. It's been said and I think it's true he was tested more than anybody else. In any event he's retired. Go Floyd!
How're things down at the fillin' station?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
atpjunkie said:
these ain't the only Docs,but these have to be the dumbest clients.
yeah I'm gonna pick a guy with 50 other clients in the peloton who also happens to be a gynecologist so that if we do get caught we'll have no plausible alternative explanation.
If you ever go to a jail, you'll find the crooks who get caught are the dumb/lazy ones.
Of course this is plausible that there are other doctors otherwise Belgians, Dutch, and French don't dope. But this does make you think why the hell would Jan and Ivan use a guy so far from their base? Perhaps he's got the best rep and stuff. I wonder who Eddy used?

·
Registered
36 Posts
96gators said:
The whole point is that testing doesn't catch people unless they're careless or stupid. Hamilton and Perez, it seems, were accidentally given someone else's blood or their own was contaminated. Heras-- that microdose of EPO just needed to be a little more micro. Note that the dossier showed Hamilton doing EPO, HGH, and more-- all of which he never tested positive for. And remember as well that the vaunted Museeuw never tested positive either. Not testing positive is completely meaningless, which is why the only actual cleaning of the sport in recent years has come through good old fashioned police work and luck (1998, Landuyt, Millar, the current spanish situation, etc.).

If you want to believe LA is clean, then good on ya. BUT, figure out something besides the testing line straight out of LA's PR machine to base your convictions on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
teamcinzano said:
The whole point is that testing doesn't catch people unless they're careless or stupid. Hamilton and Perez, it seems, were accidentally given someone else's blood or their own was contaminated. Heras-- that microdose of EPO just needed to be a little more micro. Note that the dossier showed Hamilton doing EPO, HGH, and more-- all of which he never tested positive for. And remember as well that the vaunted Museeuw never tested positive either. Not testing positive is completely meaningless, which is why the only actual cleaning of the sport in recent years has come through good old fashioned police work and luck (1998, Landuyt, Millar, the current spanish situation, etc.).

If you want to believe LA is clean, then good on ya. BUT, figure out something besides the testing line straight out of LA's PR machine to base your convictions on.
Fair enough. But it's gotta be a two way street IMO. I believe LA has been subjected to more good old fashioned police work trying to pin the dopay on him and to date nothing has stuck. That doesn't prove anything positive nor negative. But I tend to come down on the innocent until proven guilty side and so I'll believe him until proven guilty. In addition to the "testing line" he's been pretty adamant about never having taken anything as well. The more comes out about Lance the more it seems that he probably wouldn't make the best of buddies but to me that doesn't mean he deserves to be convicted without proof. So I guess if you want to believe he's a doper than good on ya too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.