Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Do you think we need paper newspapers?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the death of papers in Denver, Seattle, and elsewhere, I wanted to know if anybody else is concerned about this. For me, having a "real" newspaper to look at in the AM over coffee is way more valuable than looking at news online- I can scan the whole paper quickly, figure out what I want to read, and most importantly, find those important stories that get buried by having them hidden away as two 'graphs on page 19.

I admit that having worked for the AP in my last life may have something to do with how I feel, but think that we're likely to end up with a less-informed population as a whole if this continues.

Your thoughts?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
first

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
i get all the important knews from the lounge.

//not to "PO" this but if a company cant survive on it's own it should go out of business in a capitalist market.
///obamination

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
saf-t said:
With the death of papers in Denver, Seattle, and elsewhere, I wanted to know if anybody else is concerned about this. For me, having a "real" newspaper to look at in the AM over coffee is way more valuable than looking at news online- I can scan the whole paper quickly, figure out what I want to read, and most importantly, find those important stories that get buried by having them hidden away as two 'graphs on page 19.

I admit that having worked for the AP in my last life may have something to do with how I feel, but think that we're likely to end up with a less-informed population as a whole if this continues.

Your thoughts?
I enjoy reading a real newspaper and just signed up for "auto pay" even so I don't have to keep writing checks for my subscription. If I had to cut back though I could cancel it and just read online. I'd miss it though. Really there isn't much "news" in it anymore. Mostly AP feeds with a couple local stories.

//I took a 2 years of Journalism out of high school. I used to love that show Lou Grant.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
I love having the paper to read with breakfast in the morning. I think that the Denver Post is stronger now, than a month ago, but overall they are about 50% of what they were a couple years ago. I think Denver and Colorado will suffer, short term with the loss of the Rocky, but something else, more viable will step in to fill the void.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
We get the Albuquerque Journal daily and the NY Times on Saturday and Sunday. I skim the Journal every day while eating breakfast, my wife reads it cover to cover. Well, except for the sports section.

I grew up reading the paper, in fact in elementary school just about every grade had an assignment that involved clipping an aticle and reporting on it to the class. I still remember my 5th grade choice - the discovery of arsenic in Napolean's hair that raised questions about his cause of death. Reading the paper was an expectation in my house and it played well with my nascent, pathological love of useless facts and information.

So I'm hooked and I think they are an enjoyable part of life. For me, there is something nicely different about hanging out on a cold Sunday afternoon working my way through the Times versus reading it on line. But I admit to doing the latter, the NY Times is my start-up site and I do get most of my daily news from there.

They're passing, and I think it's a loss.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
terry b said:
We get the Albuquerque Journal daily and the NY Times on Saturday and Sunday.

I grew up reading the paper, in fact in elementary school just about every grade had an assignment that involved clipping an aticle and reporting on it to the class. I still remember my 5th grade choice - the discovery of arsenic in Napolean's hair that raised questions about his cause of death.

So I'm hooked and I think they are an enjoyable part of life. For me, there is something nicely different about hanging out on a cold Sunday afternoon working my way through the Times versus reading it on line. But I admit to doing the latter, the NY Times is my start-up site and I do get most of my daily news from there.

They're passing, and I think it's a loss.
Not just newspapers though--how many people under 20 read actual books for pleasure anymore?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Not just newspapers though--how many people under 20 read actual books for pleasure anymore?
While I was writing that, I was thinking about my kids. They both read, but not nearly as much as the example that was set for them. And I doubt either looks at the newspaper. My younger one likes the New Yorker though, so I think there is some hope for her.

That grade school assignment I mentioned did a lot to foster my interest. I'm pretty sure neither of mine ever had to do one.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Not many, if my kids' friends are a representative sample :( (Thankfully, my kids do read- we've done a lot of modeling for them in this area :D )

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
NPR was talking about the (was it Seattle? too early I guess) paper this morning. Their point was that the online only version will be different - AP stuff, lifestyle from magazines, etc. Most of the local articles that really talk about what a place really feels like will disappear in favor of that and local headlines. NPR's point was that paper vs. online is only part of the story.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
You forgot to mention wrapping fish and lining bird cages......

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
There is very little news anymore. Even reading the local papers, it's more propoganda than news.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I was a newspaper reading junkie. But, now I get most of my news online. When I was in college, I would go to the newspaper section in the library and read four or five newspapers per day. For most of my life, at least two newspapers were delivered daily to my house and the Wall Street Journal always has been delivered to the office. About two years ago, I cancelled our home subscription to our local daily, the Baltimore Sun. The paper had become nothing more than reprints from the New York Times news service and pretty poor local stories. When it came to important Maryland-based news, the Washington Post and even the New York Times often had better coverage. The only thing that I was reading regularly was the obituary coverage, which is easily accessible online. Last month, I cancelled our home subscription to the New York Times. The paper increasingly was being delivered late and I was reading it online. So, I decided to stop paying $55 per month for news I already had read. I miss the paper when I am having breakfast, but I read the NYT online and don't feel any less informed. We still get the Wall Street Journal at the office and I read it when I am sitting on the john. But, were the firm to cancel the subscription, I probably would not pay for it out of my own pocket.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
MarkS said:
......We still get the Wall Street Journal at the office and I read it when I am sitting on the john. But, were the firm to cancel the subscription, I probably would not pay for it out of my own pocket.
Dude?!?

Aren't you one of the owners of said "Firm"???

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
How many of you now boot up the computer and read it while having breakfast?

Do you forsee a day when you and your spouse are sitting at the breakfast table, each reading your laptop instead of the paper?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Chain said:
How many of you now boot up the computer and read it while having breakfast?

Do you forsee a day when you and your spouse are sitting at the breakfast table, each reading your laptop instead of the paper?
I picture it more like Minority Report where you see a hologram of the newspaper and can flip through it virtually.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts