Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. First time poster here, though I've read this forum many times. I've read how some folks have purchased the Felt or Specialized 24" wheeled bike for kids. The advice was great and I got my son a Specialized Allez Junior. At this point he is starting to bang his knees on the handlebars and is definitely ready for something bigger. He is 4'9" and seems to be ready for another growth spurt.

Local bikes shops have limited inventory of things that might fit him. The Specialized Ruby series has a 48 cm that he can just stand over now (with very little room to spare). I imagine the Dolce series has the same sizing. Has anyone had any similar experience with moving their son up from the kids size to their first adult sized road bike?

What would be a good next bike? What bike company has a good selection of 46 -48 cm bikes? What about the Giant XS frame? ANY thoughts, input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
CR

·
Registered
464 Posts
I wouldn't put my son on a true road bike due to the riding position; he needs to keep a better eye out for cars and dogs. I don't want to see him go down hard on chip seal either. For now, the Trek FX bikes fit his needs best.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I bought a Trek KDR1000 (24" kid's road bike) about 3 years ago. My oldest always felt too twitchy and unstable on it, and preferred his mountain bike. By the time he was willing to adjust, he had outgrown it.

His younger brother (by 18m) was a little nervous at first--but more determined to get the hang of it. We took him on the bike trails and other places where we didn't have any major concerns about cars or pets. It didn't take him long before he was riding without problems--and fast. He doesn't have any problems averaging in the high-teens on our rides. The bike should fit him another year, and I'm really glad we have it. His younger sister is eyeing... and can't wait for him to outgrow it and her to grow into it. It's been a great investment.

I'd definitely be looking at some smaller frames--although you're probably going to be looking at mostly women's models. Felt makes a nice small frame with 650c wheels. The Giant has lower standover than the Specialized. You might even be able to pick up a closeout on a Lemond. Fuji bikes go as small at 42cm.

Road bikes unacceptable for kids? Geez... before mountain bikes caught on, that was pretty much the only choice outside of BMX. I actually crashed a LOT more on BMX than road bikes... and my kids are DEFINITELY more dangerous with their mountain bikes, trying to get every bit out of their suspension.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for response

I agree that the road bikes are fine. My 9 yr old is doing great on the small road bike now.
I didn't even think of Fuji. There is a LBS that sells them, so that might work well for me. Thanks.
And what about thecomment about a LeMond closeout? I heard they split from Trek but are they going out of business?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Trek makes a 45cm frame in some models! The Trek KDR is a 38cm if I remember right. Pretty sure the 45cm has 700c wheels too! But, at 4'9" the kid may be ready for a 47cm or even a 50cm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have my 11 year old on a felt fw40, which is a womans version full size bike with 27" tires.

Im not sure of the geometry but I was told by several different bike shops and on the net that the womans versions fit their bodies better and to be honest it fits him great. Hes almost 5' now and is on the 47".

http://www.feltracing.com/08/product.asp?catid=1508&pid=8698

Thats my two cents.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The "women's" geometry is a shorter top tube version. I find the 56cm Trek Women's frame to fit me very well. Since I don't like the color options, I don't go for it. The handling character may be a little different aswell.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The nice thing about the FW40 is it doesn't look like a women's bike. Don't get me wrong--if it is for a woman, the Felt FW15 is a REAL stunner. Felt makes a smaller womens frame (43cm) with 650c wheels, if standover height is an issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah its my sons bike, he loves it. It does say in a few places under the clear coat that its womans model but he doesnt care at all. hes happy as a clam on it. I think it was a great bike for a 11 year old. I looked around quite a bit and for his level or riding and skills this was a great bike for the price.

MarvinK said:
The nice thing about the FW40 is it doesn't look like a women's bike. Don't get me wrong--if it is for a woman, the Felt FW15 is a REAL stunner. Felt makes a smaller womens frame (43cm) with 650c wheels, if standover height is an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice

I did end up getting a Felt Z90 with 47 cm frame and 650mm wheels. The 650 wheels are a nice small step up in sixe for him. The frames for anything with 700 wheels were just too long across the top tube - he was reaching too much.

It is nice to find a sight where you can get some solid advice like this. Thanks to everyone who responded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.