Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preseason: It's that time of year again, when players are trying to make the team and coaches are figuring out who they will cut. I'm just wondering if being cut is something that newly drafted players have to worry about, or are they assured a place on the team?

Tony Romo just fumbled. I think he's gonna get cut.

Thanks,
Tshirt

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
I would think high draft picks are safe. But some random 6th-rounder ... probably not so much.

On Hard Knocks it seems the guys in trouble are the walk-ons. So who knows ...

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
Technically any player can be cut, even the first round pick. However, that would make the GM look like an idiot and since he would be the one making the cut, the higher rounds are pretty much safe. Later on, it gets more risky. Undrafted players really have to play well to even be considered.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
my brother signed with the Jets in the short draft season (I think it was 93). I think he would have gone maybe 8th round had there bee na second day. But, the team signed too many safeties and cut the last two they signed. He was one. He didn't even get to try out, really.

The point is , too many is too many. They have to pare down. What matters is your performance in the time you are allotted to perform. If you're a long shot, you might not have much time, if any.

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andy69,

Bummer, sorry that you're brother's experience didn't turn out like he wanted.

Thanks every one for the replies.

·
Registered
467 Posts
^This. See Russell, JaMarcus.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
Also, higher-round picks get signing bonuses (guaranteed money), so there's more of an incentive for the team to find a productive place for those players.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts