Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use this? I bought the Silca version. Applied 12 drops on a degreased and clean chain every 8th link. Spun the cranks backwards a whole bunch if times. Wiped with a rag. Took a 25 mile ride. Hearing some squeaks. Thought it could have been the derailleur pulleys. Took them out and lubed the top one. The bottom one has a sealed bearing and it seemed fine (spun smooth). Applied 12 more drops in between the others (i.e., now every 4th chain pin). Still squeaking somewhere. Beginning to think I need one drop per link. Sort of defeats the premise of this lube (12-12-12). Anyone else having the same experience?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
How on earth does it work if you don't lube every roller? And don't say 'it'll get where it needs to be'. I've had one person mention it to me. Chain lube is a very simple product, no need to overthink/over engineer/over price it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Uh huh. It magically gets redistributed. 12 whole drops.

Made out of unicorn tears?

from the site:
Basic instructions for use:

1. With your chain in the big ring and the smallest cog apply 8 to 10 drops of NFS at random and run the chain backwards to distribute the lube. A very good method is the 12:12:12 method. follow the instructions for chain position than add 12 random drops, rotate the chain 12 times than wipe it with a clean cotton cloth for 12 seconds.

2. The cogs will do the job of distributing the lube. Once all the lube has been distributed to the chain wipe any excess OFF the cog/chainring AND chain.

3. Done!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A lot of people rave about it, including such notables as Tom Kellogg, Richard Sachs, and Bill Strickland. I bet they didn't put it on a fully degreased chain and were getting benefit from the old lube.

In my opinion, the 12 drops thing is false advertising.

·
Registered
20,767 Posts
1. With your chain in the big ring and the smallest cog apply 8 to 10 drops of NFS at random and run the chain backwards to distribute the lube. A very good method is the 12:12:12 method. follow the instructions for chain position than add 12 random drops, rotate the chain 12 times than wipe it with a clean cotton cloth for 12 seconds.

2. The cogs will do the job of distributing the lube. Once all the lube has been distributed to the chain wipe any excess OFF the cog/chainring AND chain.
That may just be the DUMBEST thing I've ever heard.

Sure, it'll distribute the lube... all over your cogs and the OUTSIDE of your chain. And of course any lube that may miraculously work it's way into the rollers will already be contaminated. Talk about bass ackwards.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Sure, it'll distribute the lube... all over your cogs and the OUTSIDE of your chain. And of course any lube that may miraculously work it's way into the rollers will already be contaminated. Talk about bass ackwards.
Chains have secret passageways, down through which the lube seeps, unseen, to infiltrate all the other pins & bushings; usually on moonless nights. {{{cue eerie music}}}

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't used those hollow chains with internal lubrication passages yet.

Ever since I mounted one of these on my chainstay I've had no need to.
Looks like an industrial version of one of those Rohloff things.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
NFS in heavy use here in Mexico. Two years of experience, using pretty much as directed, lasts a very long time. Lots of salt air, sand, dirt, general abuse. 13 bikes, zero chain issues.

Also NFS being used on any threaded fittings on bikes, ATVs, cars, etc. Dissimilar metal corrosion is prevalent here and has to be addressed before it starts. NFS also works extremely well in this application

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,425 Posts
The one drop every 8th link works well with disc chains.

But only if you are riding with wider tires. :wink5:

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,425 Posts
Chain lube is a very simple product, no need to overthink/over engineer/over price it.

What, CX??? So you're trying to put a whole lucrative industry of boutique chain lubes out of business with a statement like this? Can you imagine how many jobs would be lost if everybody used home brew? :wink5:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im pretty happy with this lube, now that I figured out that that I needed one small drop per link. I ridden a lot of miles already and the chain doesn't squeak and is clean (I occasionally wipe it down with a rag). I think I'll use NFS instead of my previous favorite, Squirt from now on.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This stuff doesn't penetrate worth a damn. Lubed my chain, two drops per link. Still squeaks. Using the Silca version too, which is thinner. I'll leave it set for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I switched from Prolink to NFS about two years ago. It works very well and stays put after a rain, something that Prolink would not do.
Initial application a few drops (don't ask me how many, I don't count them BUT it's not on every link, not even on every other link), spin backwards and the stuff spreads and coats all links. Magic!
Maintenance applications take about 6 drops.

·
Registered
248 Posts
So with this 12-12-12 thing if a "missing link" or "power link" or other connector is between the 12-12 and you pull it the pins are fully lubed after 12 rotations?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,425 Posts
This stuff doesn't penetrate worth a damn. Lubed my chain, two drops per link. Still squeaks. Using the Silca version too, which is thinner. I'll leave it set for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would hit the RD pulleys with lube again. Squeaking usually comes from there, not the chain.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts