Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come on guys!

Nothing on this yet? Everybody sleeping or just sore from pounding on that dead horse?

Anyway the Shark rode a brilliant race, impressive performance and great drama, no doubt the guy is a great cyclist.

But...

Watching him attack and drop the field on the toughest stages at altitude was one thing but the video of Vino watching the scene unfold was awesome! Like the diabolical mad scientist watching his monster destroy everything in sight. No need to drug test, just get an FBI profiler to watch the suspects LOL!

Wonder what his numbers were on those rides, watts/kilo, any guesses?

Probably just diet and exercise, nothing to see here you wacko conspiracy guys.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
It was eyebrow raising to see his sudden improvement in form in the last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
I thought it was suspicious too.

Now he's saying that he had stomach issues the day before the uphill time trial and that might have weakened him.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a fan and spectator I enjoy watching the Shark attack and his phenomenal descending skills. He could have some good and bad days and I suppose it is possible his training and nutrition just happen to peak at the right time in this Giro.

It is suspicious when you have Vino on the team and the infamous sticky bottle. Any Race'r who actually holds on to the car to rocket uphill during a race would certainly not object to taking PED's.

I have to admit it makes for great drama, to see how much these guys can get away with. I think they are pretty smart and the doping has become so sophisticated it's hard for me to believe anyone is riding totally full natty. I have some friends who think cycling has changed and most of the field is clean, I think most are better at timing the doping and their performance so it looks better. Maybe just coincidence but this Giro played out like that. Still an amazing performance by the Shark and the GC on a brutal course.

Also have to admit Vino looks pretty good - he would make a great villain in a spy movie.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
FTR Nibali and Vino are not buddies. Not at all.
Nibali's climbing speed in the two last mountain stages were not super human. He was up against a chest infected young Chaves and a freshy crashed Kruijswijk.

Not much to speculate on. This is not 1999 speeds.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Without times of other pros from 1999 that's speculation.

FWIW, Chris Froome's record on the Col de la Madone is much faster than Lance Armstrong's.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Good lord. Why did I even enter here?

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
FTR Nibali and Vino are not buddies. Not at all.
Nibali's climbing speed in the two last mountain stages were not super human. He was up against a chest infected young Chaves and a freshy crashed Kruijswijk.

agreed.. I think I saw somewhere someone figured it was mid 5 w/kg... not the super hard 6+ that a certain sky GC rider does often.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
The weird new skeleton with T-Rex arms look of the major tour winners is certainly a fairly new thing, dating back to maybe Pantani? Explaining the fast times by lower watts/kg is kind of misleading IMHO, it seems to me that this is all a subterfuge to win while still staying under an arbitrary power/weight value...

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Without times of other pros from 1999 that's speculation.

FWIW, Chris Froome's record on the Col de la Madone is much faster than Lance Armstrong's.
So Froome won the giro? :confused:

You are saying because A (Froome) beat B (Armstrong) and C (Nibali) just won D (the Giro) over E (Chaves) and F (Stephen K) therefore C > B. There's absolutely no connection between any of this.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I can personally vouch for the contents of Nibs' feed bag on Col d'Agnel seeing as how my buddy and I helped the soigneur pack each bag personally. I'm surprised the guy put up with out insisting (booze kicks HARD at altitude) that we surprise Fulsang with a can of Heineken.
Recreation Winter Outdoor recreation Jacket Adventure

two observations having posted up on top:

1. so much pain on the riders' faces that you just don't get to see on TV. disoriented faces, shell shocked confused looks, snot hanging out of both nostrils... pain and misery all around.
2. these guys were booking it up the last switchback....they just FLEW by.... and this is after climbing for 2K+ meters.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I can personally vouch for the contents of Nibs' feed bag on Col d'Agnel seeing as how my buddy and I helped the soigneur pack each bag personally. I'm surprised the guy put up with out insisting (booze kicks HARD at altitude) that we surprise Fulsang with a can of Heineken.
View attachment 314413

two observations having posted up on top:

1. so much pain on the riders' faces that you just don't get to see on TV. disoriented faces, shell shocked confused looks, snot hanging out of both nostrils... pain and misery all around.
2. these guys were booking it up the last switchback....they just FLEW by.... and this is after climbing for 2K+ meters.
giving a dane Heineken? you had an insult for his mother as well? :)

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
ha! very true. was better than the italian swill though

Glove Baseball glove Baseball equipment Zipper Outdoor shoe

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
It was his magic acupuncturist! I guess the no-needle policy really doesn't mean all needles... Perhaps a good way to mask other needle marks as well??
I don't know if Nibali is clean or not, but Astana's history and the people associated with the team (Vino) certainly doesn't help his credibility.

·
Registered
666 Posts
In some sense it doesn't really matter if he was doping this time. It's extremely unlikely he hasn't been a doper in the past. And more to the point, the way he cheated with that car ride, this guy's performances should all have asterisks because he's the kind that is probably always cheating somehow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts