Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put a few years use on my current bike and I'm considering my next build. It's going to be a bit of a budget, as I don't spend endlessly on my cycling stuff.

I see I can get Campy Record 11sp mechanical for under $1400, and a good set of wheels for $1500. Would I be a dope for putting this on a Wilier Izoard XP frame worth under $900?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
yes you would but not for using a cheap frame. You would be a dope for considering $2900 for wheels and a group set to be anything even remotely resembling 'budget'.

And not that I know but I suspect your current bike is just fine with "a few years on" it. You're doing the exact opposite of what you say you want to do it appears.

By all means get what you want and spend what you want. But be honest with yourself about the whole 'budget' and not spending endlessly thing.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Rather than spend 4-5000 every few years for a new bike, I buy the next generation of components over the space of a year or two, transfer them to a new frame, build up a set of wheels and start over again with the next generation of components after 4- 5 years. I avoid the big purchase at once and have the steady income of shiny parts so something is always new. Its much easier to budget $100-200/month. Need a new crank, save 2-3 months and buy. Catch sales at the big mail order places for consumables and get jerseys/ cold weather gear for gifts. Cycling on a budget.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes you would but not for using a cheap frame. You would be a dope for considering $2900 for wheels and a group set to be anything even remotely resembling 'budget'.

And not that I know but I suspect your current bike is just fine with "a few years on" it. You're doing the exact opposite of what you say you want to do it appears.

By all means get what you want and spend what you want. But be honest with yourself about the whole 'budget' and not spending endlessly thing.
Clearly you are upset by my "bit of a budget" phrase. I'd be wasting my time justifying myself to you, since your response seems to lean more on assumptions than reading comprehension, but I'll add some notes in case anyone else happens to be reading.

I'm building a second bike. My current bike is mechanically excellent and good for several more years at least. It goes out in the weather and dirty roads, so the 2nd bike can be a bit nicer and less practical. The groupset and wheels I mentioned already represent a performance upgrade (and slightly less practical choice). Otherwise I'd just have two of the "same" bike.

However I'm faced with a decision for the frame - for what I'm searching for, I have two options:
- a closeout frame for several hundred that matches my current frame almost exactly. This allows money for the nifty $1500 wheels.
- a new frame for $3k that's a model or two above that, but at this price point, I'd need to cut down the wheel and component options.

So it's nicer components and cheaper frame, or nicer frame and cheaper components. Since all I see for sale is the second one, I'm leaning toward the first one.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
#1 aspect of doing things on a budget is to learn to do everything yourself, including wheel builds. So a "good set of wheels" can be done for $3-400, not the $1500 to which you refer. Plus you will have more satisfaction from a job well done as well as saving the $$$.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Sounds like you are bored. Unless the current solution isn't delivering for you in some way you're just spending money. Also its highly likely that in the not so distant future you might again to take all those new components and put them on a new frame, that is assuming Campy, Shimano or SRAM doesn't again come out with some update you think you need. A good bike is not obsolete after a few short years. Why not spend the money and take your bike cycling to Mallorca, Girona, The Dolomotes or the French Alps instead?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
If you like the bike, go for it. I replaced everything on a 15 year old Litespeed I owned because I liked the bike. Frame was worth maybe $1000 on ebay.

Frankly, I think Record is a waste of money, Chorus is the exact same thing less a few carbon and titanium bits for $500 less. You can get a nice set of custom wheels for $800-$900.

·
Registered
960 Posts
The additional information changes quite a bit from your original post. Assumptions are made when all relevant information is not provided.

Personally I prefer putting more money into the frame and using less expensive components when a budget comes into play. A frame makes more of a difference than the difference in performance between chorus and record

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
#1 aspect of doing things on a budget is to learn to do everything yourself, including wheel builds. So a "good set of wheels" can be done for $3-400, not the $1500 to which you refer. Plus you will have more satisfaction from a job well done as well as saving the $$$.
Could not agree more. Though my definition of "good" is closer to $500, it's still a long way from a $1500 wheel set that really brings nothing to the party except bling.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,151 Posts
I'm all for it:

Pictured is a $90 frame (Nashbar aluminum touring frame, circa 2009) with a $900 groupset (2009-10 Shimano 105).

·
Cooper1960
526 Posts
Why do you care what others think? It's your bike and your money to spend, make your own choice. And so what in a few years you think you should have made another choice, that's how life works sometimes.

Don't paralyze yourself with analytical indecision.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Do what you want and don't pay attention to what others think. My road bike is a 16 year old Serotta Legend TI... I've been through 3 or 4 drivetrains over the years. Last time is was switching from Shimano to Sram. Since I'm also getting older and don't climb as well as 30 years ago, I actually have a MTB rear derailleur and a huge cassette back there. Only a few have given me any crap over it, and about half that have changed their tune after riding up in the hills and watching me spin up the steep stuff.

It's your money and your ride. Do what you want. If anyone gives you a hard time about it, just ignore them.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If they're working well, I see little reason to replace components. I'm personally still riding a 10 speed 6600 group I've swapped over three frames. I've replaced the chain and brake pads many times, the cassette a few times and I'm getting close to needing a new big ring. It works great and looks great, I don't see any need to replace it. I could see going for something truly different like ETap but with mechanical groups you're really splitting hairs. Everything's been good for years.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
If they're working well, I see little reason to replace components. I'm personally still riding a 10 speed 6600 group I've swapped over three frames. I've replaced the chain and brake pads many times, the cassette a few times and I'm getting close to needing a new big ring. It works great and looks great, I don't see any need to replace it. I could see going for something truly different like ETap but with mechanical groups you're really splitting hairs. Everything's been good for years.
Only question is how readily available are consumable and repair parts. Which entirely depends on what specific groupset you run from when and how happy you are waiting for EBay shippers.

Nicer thing about the new stuff, all the consumables/parts are Prime usually through quick-shipping online merchants.

·
Bill Dobie
83 Posts
I'd go in the opposite direction. Put more $ into frame, get some good cheap sturdy wheels and finish it off with Shimano 105 components.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Only question is how readily available are consumable and repair parts. Which entirely depends on what specific groupset you run from when and how happy you are waiting for EBay shippers.

Nicer thing about the new stuff, all the consumables/parts are Prime usually through quick-shipping online merchants.
Agreed. However, in my particular case 6600 stuff is still widely available. At some point I'm going to have to go to 11 speed on my road bike and get a new wheelset as well. Grumble.

It's funny, I have 6800 on my gravel bike already but my "main" road bike is still 6600. I really like the 6600 and can't reasonably justify getting rid of it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
A few months ago I borrowed a friend's bike for a 30 mile ride. It's a steel Motobecane cross frame, chrome plated, with full 11-speed 105, and generic cantilever brakes. I think it's stock, except for maybe the saddle. He got it new for $800. It's one of the sweetest all around bikes I've ever ridden. I prefer it to my own Klein Quantum Pro with Ultegra, which weighs 5 LB less. I never felt the extra weight of the 23 LB bike.

These days even the cheap stuff like Sora shifts and brakes really well, better than older Ultegra and Dura Ace. The only advantages to those are less weight, and electric shifting, if you want that. 11 speed 105 is awesome.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts