Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the last week or so I'd just felt out of sorts, headaches, that kind of thing.

Until it became apparently it was ONE particular tooth, that got more and
more painful until it was like a tornado siren going off.

Finally visit the dentist this morning, turns out I had an abcessed tooth (badly)
and they needed to do a root canal.

Now I feel like the side of my head caved in.

Did I miss anything? I'm on antibiotics and pain meds for a while.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Yeowch. I've done that. There is no worse pain than dental pain, IMO.

I figure pain meds can only make the lounge more entertaining. Now, go type us some drug-induced ramblings.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Hope they gave you percocet. Second best would be vicodin. Take as directed, after eating a piece of bread to keep you from puking, then wash it down with a glass of fine Merlot or Pinot. You'll be in happy land wondering why you don't do this more often.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Just the thought of a root canal makes me want to vomit. Maybe this week I'll get all my teeth pulled and replaced with dentures.

·
half-fast
7,386 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Just the thought of a root canal makes me want to vomit. Maybe this week I'll get all my teeth pulled and replaced with dentures.
Nope, I've had teeth pulled, and it was no fun. You don't want to do that.

ASB, you'll feel better later. Get the crowns they tell you to - they aren't just trying to generate more fees. I learned this the hard way.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
DrRoebuck said:

Good Lord, they aren't bad at all. I've had three. The last one I had I was out of the chair and went straight back to work.

Root canals don't hurt, they just take longer. All you have to do is lay there and say ahh.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
perc and beer - the perfect prescription when i had my wisdom teeth pulled.
hang in there, it'll all be over soon...

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ack. No percocet - they gave me vicodin but I'm one of the rare people that vicodin doesn't
do ANYTHING for me, it just makes me stay awake longer.

In fact, advil works BETTER.

So, they did a root canal BUT....they didn't have enough time to finish up and
the rest of it will (hopefully) be done today.

This means I've been waking up due to pain about every two hours for the last
four days. Can't sleep for crap.

I wonder if Lance's collarbone pain is worse?

So here I am at 4:30 in the morning typing away, wheeee. Not.

Feels like the side of my head caved in - the nerve is supposed to be dead
but the infection is still raging so I'm kind of in a "forced awakeness mode".

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
Ack.

This means I've been waking up due to pain about every two hours for the last
four days. Can't sleep for crap.

So here I am at 4:30 in the morning typing away, wheeee. Not.

Feels like the side of my head caved in - the nerve is supposed to be dead
but the infection is still raging so I'm kind of in a "forced awakeness mode".
DAMMNM.... in pain for four days after the procedure?? Mine have always been more like what OEH experienced -- out the door with a numb face, but feeling fine.

Hope you get some relief soon

·
Registered
272 Posts
dental nightmare

Last summer I was happily munching on something while watching the TdF when all of a sudden CRACK. I had bitten down on a small pebble or something. Intense pain ensued immediately.

I go to the dentist two days later and he announced that I need a crown on my lower jaw. Fine, no problem. I get the crown prep done and am waiting for the permanent crown to be made. Intense pain in my temple continues. Luckily the dentist gave me a scrip for oxycodone. Half a tab 2x daily kept the pain from being unbearable so I could still work.

Time comes for crown placement and I tell the dentist the pain is still intense. He says, get a root canal. Fine, I get a root canal and then crown is placed. Pain is still intense so I go back to my dentist. He is puzzled so sends me to my primary doc who scheduled me for an MRI to make sure something else isn't going on. All is good with the MRI. Go back to dentist who determines that I need a crown on the tooth directly above the one that just had the crown.

2nd Crown prep done, still intense pain in the temple. Go back to dentist who says, get another root canal. Get another root canal and then final crown placement. Finally, pain starts to diminish. After 8 weeks I finally stopped taking the oxycodone. I lost the majority of the sumer. The oxycodone completely sapped me of all energy and desire to ride

Note: when they say take oxycodone with food, they mean it. Otherwise you have to stop on the way to work and start puking on the side of the road. That sucks.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
That whole scenario sounds hideous!

Alienspore if they started you on antibiotics for the abscess you should start to feel a lot better after about 24-36 hours of taking the antibiotic.

Doing the root canal should've drained the infection thereby relivieng pressure and pain.
I'm a little surprised you're still in so much pain.

Get better and for heaven's sake if the pain or swelling is getting worse not better, get seen asap.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I spent several hours in a dentists chair this morning and will be GOING BACK
this afternoon.

In brief, as suspected, I'm a genetic freak of sorts and the tooth in question has more
roots than normal people and the nerve was still very much alive and going "hi, I'm a
nerve and quite alive and this kind of pain? I could do this all day right? wot?"

They went in this morning after more novocaine and let it drain a lot longer and
then irrigated all of the roots to the tooth repeatedly.

But, for now they have allowed the tooth to drain (yeah, it's OPEN TO THE
WORLD BABY!)

Since I can't go back there until this afternoon I went home and took a nap.

First solid sleep I've had since the middle of last week. Thank God.

We'll see what happens when the painkillers wear off now, heh.

More later, this saga is quite interestingly strange.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Noooo. By "ba-da bum" I meant "quippy."

Your vino and tightie whities will be back in action soon. :D

Btw, tomorrow is supposed to be the big day, isn't it? That is if Slaggy received the memo.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts