Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I just spent the last three weeks in Xenia Ohio and wanted to go on record in recommending anyone in the area there who rides to visit K and G Cycling. Theses guys in Xenia were to nicest and most accomendating shop I have ever used. I usually use Burlington MA Cycle Loft and Belmont Wheelworks.
Anyway, they were awesome. Set me up with a great rental, new stem, pump, fit me and gave great information and cycling friendship.
Thanks to Doug, LJ, Carl, Alan, Mike and the rest for making my work trip so much fun.
Oh yeah, and thanks to Maggie, their golden retriever mascot.

Best, Rocco From Boston.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
We're all nice here in Ohio.:D
Yep, as someone from NE ohio, Ohio is GREAT, but don't let teh J's read this....:eek:

·
Lexicon Devil
964 Posts
Most people in Ohio are nice, except for those dudes in the minivan who thought that I had some sort of Oedipal complex.

Those kinda people aren't nice at all, but they're a minority here in the Buckeye State.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Yeah, people in Ohio are nice, just like people in every other state are nice. Ohio, itself, is a bleak, living hell, though. 30+ years there was more than enough for me. Xenia is, well, different. I were a skydiving instructor there for some time.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm from the Appelachian region of Ohio,,, (Along the WVA border) and I must say the folk 'round thease parts is right freindly ya-all... Yi jist hold out yer hand, an' they's comes right up to ya, and gives a li'll sniff... And if'n you's frendly 'nuff back, they'll call Unkle Daddy over, an' he'll ley ya-all git a nip off'n his jug 'o shine!

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
alienator said:
Yeah, people in Ohio are nice, just like people in every other state are nice. Ohio, itself, is a bleak, living hell, though. 30+ years there was more than enough for me. Xenia is, well, different. I were a skydiving instructor there for some time.
There are some nice folks here in Ohio, but there are plenty of jackasses, too (I'm 1of them :D). I'm currently in my 26th year of living in Ohio, and I second the notion that it is a bleak, living hell. Xenia is a fine town though with paved MUTs galore. Compared to many other MUTs, Xenia's are much longer than many trail users (walkers, joggers, rec. riders) wish to travel, so you can cruise along for many miles without dealing with much congestion.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,622 Posts
We passed through Xenia Ohio on our way back to Indiana from North Carolina.

I was surprised to see that it was the biking capital of the Midwest (which was painted on the water tower near the highway).

·
Fahrrad fahren
234 Posts
Xenia

covrc said:
Hey All,

I just spent the last three weeks in Xenia Ohio and wanted to go on record in recommending anyone in the area there who rides to visit K and G Cycling. Theses guys in Xenia were to nicest and most accomendating shop I have ever used. I usually use Burlington MA Cycle Loft and Belmont Wheelworks.
Anyway, they were awesome. Set me up with a great rental, new stem, pump, fit me and gave great information and cycling friendship.
Thanks to Doug, LJ, Carl, Alan, Mike and the rest for making my work trip so much fun.
Oh yeah, and thanks to Maggie, their golden retriever mascot.

Best, Rocco From Boston.
Lots of folks opine that Ohio is a great place to be from.......

I don't think it is the bleak hell that some find it to be, but I don't live there, just visit a lot. I'm sure there are parts of the state which match that description. Xenia and Greene county are great.

A few reasons:
The Miami Trail, of course; Clifton Mill (Clifton), working mill and great resturant (try the sausage and gravy biscuits); Youngs Jersey Dairy (Yellow Springs), Ice Cream, Resturant, Ice Cream, Gift shop, Ice Cream, Miniture Golf, Ice Cream, Petting Zoo, and Ice Cream.
Wright-Patterson AFB (Fairborn) Museum; John Bryant State Park; Caesar Creek Recreation Area; Glen Helen Enviromental Center; Canoe rentals or tubing on the Little Miami; miles and miles of low volume country roads; 5 Covered Bridges in just Greene County, James Galloway Cabin and Xenia Historical Society; Stations on the underground Railway; the National Afro-American Museum; Indian mounds; Outlet and mall shopping nearby; seasonal attractions like the Greene County Fair and a rennaisance festival; and I'm sure more which doesn't come to mind.

In my case it has the added attraction of being my parents' hometown :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Hjalti,

Thanks for the positive follow-up. I apprecite you focusing on the positive. It was a very nice area, Greene County. Not sure why others would have to add sarcastic or bitter comments to an otherwise friendly thank you post. I guess I just don't like it and ask that they not post here on my thread if that is where they want to go.

Bill Evan's offers some pretty good food for cheap money. And Yellow Springs is a lot of fun. Ran into Dave Chappelle at The Winds Cafe.

Best, Rocco From Boston

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
covrc said:
Hey Hjalti,

Thanks for the positive follow-up. I apprecite you focusing on the positive. It was a very nice area, Greene County. Not sure why others would have to add sarcastic or bitter comments to an otherwise friendly thank you post. I guess I just don't like it and ask that they not post here on my thread if that is where they want to go.

Bill Evan's offers some pretty good food for cheap money. And Yellow Springs is a lot of fun. Ran into Dave Chappelle at The Winds Cafe.

Best, Rocco From Boston
Well, you made a public post, so you don't own it any more. I'd suggest getting a diary if you'd like to be able to make comments and keep a strict reign on responses to your comments.

I don't think anyone was terribly bitter or sarcastic. Apparently a few of us have lived there, and your post inspired some reflection and comments. Maybe you should grow up abit. Not a single person cast an evil eye on the people in your comments.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Checking in from Central Ohio. We are "good people" here. I ride a lot in Franklin, Licking, Knox, Perry counties, and I must say that they are great places to ride (well, maybe not Franklin so much...too many cars).

Except for my time in the army and 6 months when I was living in Florida, i'm a life long Ohioan.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,768 Posts
covrc said:
Not sure why others would have to add sarcastic or bitter comments to an otherwise friendly thank you post. I guess I just don't like it and ask that they not post here on my thread if that is where they want to go.
What? I didn't see a single sarcastic or bitter response. And, like Alienator said, this is a public forum where anyone can post whatever they want, up to a certain extent. Sorry, but that's how it goes. Ignore what you don't like.

Xenia sounds nice, but the rest of the state is another story.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I've lived in Ohio since 1956. It has its good & bad points like every place else. Is it the ideal place to live? Is anyplace the ideal place to live? Central & N. Central Ohio are particularly nice. Amish country. Actually, Ohio has the largest Amish population of any state, (yes, that includes Pa.). Great roads, Challenging climbs. Southeastern Ohio is also beautiful. It's very hilly, & also has great roads. We also have a Great Lake to furnish with water & recreation, Cedar Point, the worlds most kick-a$$ amusement park, Island get-aways. I could go on & on. I'll be retiring soon, & I'm not sure if I'll relocate or not. Kinda thinking about Virginia, New York, (I'm a native New Yorker), Kentucky. I've got time to decide.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
covrc said:
Hey Hjalti,

Thanks for the positive follow-up. I apprecite you focusing on the positive. It was a very nice area, Greene County...
Greene County is a very nice area. It's a great place to ride. Most rural areas of Ohio are nice. However, the urban areas (like where I live) are a whole new ballgame. People aren't so nice around here.

covrc said:
... Not sure why others would have to add sarcastic or bitter comments to an otherwise friendly thank you post. I guess I just don't like it and ask that they not post here on my thread if that is where they want to go...
Maybe we add our "sarcastic or bitter comments" because we've spent more than 3 weeks in Ohio and have a much better perspective on how things really are in this state. I'm sorry that you think I'm a prick for not sharing your same opinion of Ohio after living here for 25 years.

covrc said:
...Bill Evan's offers some pretty good food for cheap money...
This is just a minor detail, but I believe you're thinking of Bob Evans. It's a chain with decent food at a reasonable price. Their sausage gravy is excellent.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Run1stBike2nd said:
Greene County is a very nice area. It's a great place to ride. Most rural areas of Ohio are nice. However, the urban areas (like where I live) are a whole new ballgame. People aren't so nice around here.
Ohio does have interesting terrain over which to ride, but I think it has some issues:

1. I don't think the state, as a whole, is as bike aware as other places, but the same can be said for other states as well. I've definitely had far fewer incidents w/ car drivers in Tucson/Arizona and Colorado than I did in Ohio.

2. Summer riding in Ohio, when the humidity is up and the temp is up to, sucks. I think it's much worse than the desert heat in Tucson.

3. Ohio smog sucks. It seemed as if when summer came, the blue skies were replaced w/ gray skies.

4. Ohio's state govt has been running a secret program underwhich they grow potholes at a prodigious rate. It's a very successful program.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
alienator said:
Ohio does have interesting terrain over which to ride, but I think it has some issues:

1. I don't think the state, as a whole, is as bike aware as other places, but the same can be said for other states as well. I've definitely had far fewer incidents w/ car drivers in Tucson/Arizona and Colorado than I did in Ohio.

2. Summer riding in Ohio, when the humidity is up and the temp is up to, sucks. I think it's much worse than the desert heat in Tucson.

3. Ohio smog sucks. It seemed as if when summer came, the blue skies were replaced w/ gray skies.

4. Ohio's state govt has been running a secret program underwhich they grow potholes at a prodigious rate. It's a very successful program.
I wouldn't disagree with any of this, especially #'s 1 & 2.

·
Lexicon Devil
964 Posts
I live in the veritable anus of Ohio - in the west side of Cincinnati. Things here are so bad that my team goes across the river to Kentucky in order to get quality riding in. Not to say that the riding and people in Cincinnati sucks, but here in Hamilton County, it ain't that great.

But the riding elsewhere in the state is pretty damn good. Especially in Washington Co., near Marietta.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Doctor Who said:
I live in the veritable anus of Ohio - in the west side of Cincinnati. Things here are so bad that my team goes across the river to Kentucky in order to get quality riding in. Not to say that the riding and people in Cincinnati sucks, but here in Hamilton County, it ain't that great.

But the riding elsewhere in the state is pretty damn good. Especially in Washington Co., near Marietta.
Good God! You're a westsider! Can't say it's much better for me on the eastside (Mt. Lookout) but I have to say cycling in Indian Hill is great as long as the President is not in town!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Southeast Ohio has the best terrain to ride if you like hills (notice I didn't say mountains). Especially since I can turn left out of my driveway and instantly be on an all day ride. Great scenery as well, as long as you can deal with the occasional red-neck blowing by you on the road.
If only I didn't have to drive forever to get to a bill-paying job.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.