Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...sorry that was a bit misleading but i wanted your attention...did it work?

I have a Saris Bones rack....I am heading out to visit my daughter in a week or so for a long weekend and want to take my Langster. Is using a rear rack going to trash my gas mileage?

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am taking it but I will pull the wheels and stuff it in the trunk if I am going to lose 5 mpg over 1200 miles.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Bikes are made from tubing, and tubes are aerodynamic.
Besides, I'll bet your suitcase will weigh more than the bike!
To say there will be no difence would be inacurate, but, I'm betting the MPG drop would be .00-somthing.......

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Ooh! I have actual recent data. Went out to visit my daughter at college in Minnesota in June. Brought her bike on a bones rack on the way out, came back with the rack folded up in the car on the way back. This was on a small wagon (Ford Focus). Tracked mileage for every tank. 1300 miles out, with the rack and bike. 2000 miles on the way back (more scenic route).

Adjusting for varying speeds, the rack and bike cost me little or nothing in mileage. MIGHT have made for 30 vs 31 mpg, at most.

Have fun.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JCavilia said:
Ooh! I have actual recent data. Went out to visit my daughter at college in Minnesota in June. Brought her bike on a bones rack on the way out, came back with the rack folded up in the car on the way back. This was on a small wagon (Ford Focus). Tracked mileage for every tank. 1300 miles out, with the rack and bike. 2000 miles on the way back (more scenic route).

Adjusting for varying speeds, the rack and bike cost me little or nothing in mileage. MIGHT have made for 30 vs 31 mpg, at most.

Have fun.
Thanks, and that is the answer I was looking for

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.