Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, could i get advice on wheels please?
i currently have dt swiss rr1.1 single eyelet, 32 spoke, 3x, straight guage dt spokes laced to record hubs. i once had a set of wheels that felt too spongy, flexy etc. hence the opposite with these straight guage spokes. these are very responsive which is what i wanted, but they are a little harsh even with 100 psi in the tyres. now however i want a change.

would a box section rim ride nicer than my dt's with the same type of spoke?
if not could double butted spokes make much of a difference over straight guage spokes?

i way 73kg and ride for fitness, 250km is a good week for me. i want responsive wheels with a nicer ride than what i have so if anyone could help me out with ideas i would be grateful.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
tidi said:
hi, could i get advice on wheels please?
i currently have dt swiss rr1.1 single eyelet, 32 spoke, 3x, straight guage dt spokes laced to record hubs. i once had a set of wheels that felt too spongy, flexy etc. hence the opposite with these straight guage spokes. these are very responsive which is what i wanted, but they are a little harsh even with 100 psi in the tyres. now however i want a change.

would a box section rim ride nicer than my dt's with the same type of spoke?
if not could double butted spokes make much of a difference over straight guage spokes?

i way 73kg and ride for fitness, 250km is a good week for me. i want responsive wheels with a nicer ride than what i have so if anyone could help me out with ideas i would be grateful.
Less air pressure (and larger tire if necessary???) will do far more than any rim change. - TF

·
A wheelist
11,689 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Less air pressure (and larger tire if necessary???) will do far more than any rim change. - TF
You took the words outta my mouth. I'm loving the 32mm Challenge Grifo Dry cyclocross tires on the road at 50psi (on my CX bike). I don't notice any speed loss (my computer shows about 1mph less average speed than my road bike with 23's = woopty doo) but the ride quality is incredible. Even 25mm tires at 90psi in place of 23's @100 is a big improvement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.