Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to Cambridge, MA, and just bought a road bike but have not had much opportunity to ride. It is my first road bike, first time with clipless pedals, and I'm finding it difficult to navigate through Cambridge (mostly due to my own noob-ness :p ).

What I'd like to do on the weekends is to hop in my car and drive my bike out to someplace that is better for riding-- a place with smooth pavement and little traffic where I can just ride and ride. A pretty ride would be a bonus, of course.

Anyone know of some places like this within say an hour or an hour-and-a half drive from Cambridge?

A few hills would be ok but, as I'm still a noob, I'm not looking for any extreme climbs.

· Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Bobby Mac's Ride

Smaxe said:
I recently moved to Cambridge, MA, and just bought a road bike but have not had much opportunity to ride. It is my first road bike, first time with clipless pedals, and I'm finding it difficult to navigate through Cambridge (mostly due to my own noob-ness :p ).

What I'd like to do on the weekends is to hop in my car and drive my bike out to someplace that is better for riding-- a place with smooth pavement and little traffic where I can just ride and ride. A pretty ride would be a bonus, of course.

Anyone know of some places like this within say an hour or an hour-and-a half drive from Cambridge?

A few hills would be ok but, as I'm still a noob, I'm not looking for any extreme climbs.

SMAXE,

First, welcome to the area. You'll be pleased that there are great areas nearby to trot on two wheels.

I would suggest Bobby Mac's ride (Arlington Bicycle Club). It's designed for riders of various skill level and has break-off points at 20 30 and 60 miles. Yes, it's a pretty ride and you don't need to drive that far (or at all).

Drop by Quad Cycles at 1346 Mass. Ave. Arlington, MA. on Saturday and Sunday at 9:30 am to join the group ride.

http://quadcycles.com/events/index.htm

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bobby-Mac-s-Quadcycle-Arlington-Bike-Club-Ride

Ride Safely,

Joe

· Registered
1,931 Posts
Boxford, Boxford, Boxford

If you are going to drive, the Boxford area is terrific. Look up Smolak's Farm in North Andover and plan a trip to stop there for a drink and a muffin, scone or donut. You can do offshoots of a 10 mile loop that begins about a mile from Smolak's. PM me if you are interested.

b21

· Registered
464 Posts
Ck out Charles River Wheelmen (www.CRW.org). Local club, huge membership great rides all over the place. The one out of Newton on Sat. mornings is a good one - attracts a very large number of riders of all abilities. There will be a grp perfectly suited to you.

And New England is an absolutely great place to ride - just wait till fall, incredible!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.