Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts
Kind of insane that they sell the Venge Pro frame for $3100 and are now selling the fully built bike with Ui2 for $4500.

Wonder if I could get that built up in with the white frame instead of black...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I finally broke down and bought my wife and I road bikes. I am so happy after researching bikes for 8 months through out last fall and winter. I must say actually trying all the bikes really helped. Once I got on the Specialized Roubiax I knew that was for me. Long story short what did I purchase.

Mens : ROUBAIX SL4 EXPERT COMPACT (Black and Red)
Womans :RUBY ELITE APEX COMPACT (White and Teal)

Getting our fitting next weekend so I will let you know all how it goes. I cannot thank the forums enough for all the help over the winter in choosing a bike. The sale was pretty good as well. Saving 900 or 1,000 is always nice.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
looking at the roubiax low end starter bike but its sora. don't know much about it.
The new Sora uses the same shifting method as Tiagra and up (inner/ outer levers).

IMO it's much improved over the previous version, but not up to the level of refinement of the new 10 speed Tiagra, which (IMO) is on a par with my 5600 105.

Still, for a recreational rider, the Sora equipped Roubaix will suite your needs and gets you a very nice (upgradeable) frameset.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Dang, I'd love to get an SL4... but I'd have to get rid of 1-2 other road bikes first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi RRRoubaix

I will let you know how the bike rides and take a picture of both the bikes for you when I get them later this week. I believe getting fitted this weekend coming up. So excited. Bikes did cost a bit of money but in the end all worth it. I know eventually I will have to get new rims etc but I want to ride it for awhile with what it comes with so I will enjoy the better ones later one.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Still, for a recreational rider, the Sora equipped Roubaix will suite your needs and gets you a very nice (upgradeable) frameset.
I test rode a new Roubaix with the latest Sora and I would recommend getting the next level up. Functionally Sora does work like the more expensive Shimano groups but it feels pretty sloppy IMO. I don't think you'll regret getting the Tiagra/105 mix Roubaix but I can't say the same thing about Sora.

BTW, did anyone else notice the disc brake Roubaix's are now on the Specialized site?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Took advantage of this sale over the weekend.
Ordered a Charcoal/Blue SL4 Roubaix Expert that should arrive later this week.

I was set to walk out of the shop with a leftover SL3, but this sale brought the price of the SL4 down to within a couple hundred bucks of the SL3, couldn't pass that up.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I test rode a new Roubaix with the latest Sora and I would recommend getting the next level up. Functionally Sora does work like the more expensive Shimano groups but it feels pretty sloppy IMO. I don't think you'll regret getting the Tiagra/105 mix Roubaix but I can't say the same thing about Sora.
There's no question (and I essentially stated the same) that Tiagra and above shifters trump Sora in refinement.

My point was that for someone looking in the $1500 price range and wanting to enter into the CF arena, IMO Sora shifters will suite a recreational riders needs - as did the previous (thumb tab) version.

It's all about compromises. Someone with a similar budget placing a priority on the drivetrain would likely opt for a Tiagra equipped Secteur Elite over a Roubaix.

·
Registered
964 Posts
It's all about compromises. Someone with a similar budget placing a priority on the drivetrain would likely opt for a Tiagra equipped Secteur Elite over a Roubaix.
To be honest I'd rather ride the Secteur in that case. Also, you're almost always better off spending the money up front on a new bike rather than buying a lower group with the intention of upgrading it in the future. Another option is to wait until fourth quarter and keep an eye for Roubaix's on close out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What perfect timing! I just did some research and reading about the Trek Domane 5.2/5.9, Cannondale Synapse 3 Hi Mod and Specialized Roubaix Expert SL4. Narrowed it down to these. Then had a chance to test ride a Roubaix Expert SL4 with Di2 and with mechanical Ultegra.

....the smoothness of the Di2 was undeniable and with the $1000 off discount? The bike felt great. Smooth, fast, stiff but supple, and looks amazing too! (I'm a little vain) So, ...I Pulled the trigger today! A Roubaix Expert SL4 in my size is arriving in a couple days! I can't believe the sale timing. The Discount helped me justify opting for Di2!!

PS: I really do have to change my Forum name. Haven't been on here in a long time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats... I bought same bike just mechanical and it is coming in this week. The more I think about it I should have bought DI2 oh well I had to by the wife a bike as well. I agree with you how smooth the bike rides. It really was amazing. Only bike I did not try was the Trek how was that? I used to have a Lemond and loved it back in the 90's.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Congrats... I bought same bike just mechanical and it is coming in this week. The more I think about it I should have bought DI2 oh well I had to by the wife a bike as well. I agree with you how smooth the bike rides. It really was amazing. Only bike I did not try was the Trek how was that? I used to have a Lemond and loved it back in the 90's.
I actually never rode the Trek. I had planned to, but the Roubaix Expert SL4 felt sooo good. There was nothing I disliked. In fact, I loved pretty much everything about the bike except wishing it had better, lighter wheels. But I can add those later. The Di2 was just sooo sweet. With the Specialized Sales pricing for the next two weeks, I figured there was no way Trek would come close to $4100 for the Domane 5.9 which is their Di2 bike. ...and the Specialized felt great, looks great (The Expert SL4 Di2 is my favorite color scheme)

The rest is history. I feel GREAT about it! I could have been thrilled with the Mechanical Roubaix Expert SL4, but that Di2 ...its just soooo sweet! I knew if I didn't get it, I'd be asking myself should I have tried harder to justify the extra cost of the Di2.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Man maybe I should tell them I want the DI2. I agree about the wheels only thing I will upgrade probably next year. Darn why did my wife need a baller bike too lol.. I have tried DI2 before it was great. I got the red and black color what color did you get?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Man maybe I should tell them I want the DI2. I agree about the wheels only thing I will upgrade probably next year. Darn why did my wife need a baller bike too lol.. I have tried DI2 before it was great. I got the red and black color what color did you get?
With the sale, $1000 off is almost unprecedented. I had to stretch a little, but after riding Di2, then Mechanical, the choice was clear if dollars were not a factor. So I stretched. Riders with Di2 seem to LOVE it. I also got the Red and Black! (The Expert Sl4 Di2 is a glossy black/red accent that I like better than any other color scheme's. Another bonus that pushed me over the edge. Everything about the Roubaix Expert SL4 Di2 bike is awesome. Just upgrade wheels later.

Maybe the cassette to Ultegra? Would I even notice? The chain and cassette on the Expert are both Tiagra. Seriously? How much coast does that really save? Why not go full Ultegra?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh ya I see what you mean about the cassette and chain. I am not sure how much but I am not sure I would even notice the difference could upgrade later. The Di2 is sweet though mmm darn it all I wish I bought it. Oh well I guess in say 5 years I could by my second bike and get whatever is out then hahah... Either way I think I got a great first bike well technically this is my 2nd bike. First bike was a Lemond Zurich 98..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Oh ya I see what you mean about the cassette and chain. I am not sure how much but I am not sure I would even notice the difference could upgrade later. The Di2 is sweet though mmm darn it all I wish I bought it. Oh well I guess in say 5 years I could by my second bike and get whatever is out then hahah... Either way I think I got a great first bike well technically this is my 2nd bike. First bike was a Lemond Zurich 98..
Sweet 2nd bike indeed! You can feel solid about your decision. You got a GREAT bike. I'm sure I would be just as excited if I had ordered the Expert SL4 with Mechanical. ...and hey ...we have the fastest color scheme! So, how cool is that?

as for the Tiagra chain and cassette, I'm sure I will never notice either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ya the color scheme is awesome. Funny you should mention that. I actually said that to the guy. I was like I want my bike to look good to me so I want to ride it more. I looked at the black and blue and almost got that but the red and black was my first choice. I needed a 52 and the owner said I got the last one right now in the country. Who knows if that is true or not but I have bought more stuff from him in the past so no need for him to say that really to try and sell me. There is one better one I liked but I think it was limited edition. It was black like ours but with red letters. That was pretty nice looking too.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.