Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So riding road has lost some of its appeal for me in the last few years. I hardly ride my 2 road bikes anymore. I am thinking about unloading one or both of them for a Niner RLT9. I live in Colorado and have an unlimited number of dirt farm roads and mountain roads to ride. I just can't decide if a cross bike is a better option. I feel like the geometry of the RLT is the better option but the price for what your getting is a bit high. I know Niner is a smaller builder and doesn't do the volume that say Cannonade does. But 2k for an aluminum bike with disc brakes seems a bit expensive. I am also looking at the Ridley Xtrail I can get carbon with 105 for about the same price. I just don't have any local dealers for either so I can't test ride them.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Salsa's new'ish Warbird is pretty close to the top of my "N+1" list right now.

Now sure how it fits in with your wants, but I rode the carbon version at an LBS and it was fantastic.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/warbird

My only gripe is that the carbon version only comes with Rival 22. I'd much prefer Ultegra/Ui2 options.

Not sure if they are available as a frameset only or not.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Salsa's new'ish Warbird is pretty close to the top of my "N+1" list right now.

Now sure how it fits in with your wants, but I rode the carbon version at an LBS and it was fantastic.

WARBIRD CARBON RIVAL 22 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

My only gripe is that the carbon version only comes with Rival 22. I'd much prefer Ultegra/Ui2 options.

Not sure if they are available as a frameset only or not.
I looked at the salsa but the carbon is is out of my price range and doesn't have mounts for fenders when its wet out.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I found a nice deal on a 2015 new rlt , just not sure i would use it much since I have my road bike and 29er.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I just don't have any local dealers for either so I can't test ride them.
Just a word of advice, don't get anything you can't test ride even if it has the best reviews online. You never know if a bike is right for you before you ride it. I would suggest finding the closest dealer and making the trip there.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have been eyeing the X-Trail since it was announced. Performance carries them, so you can try out the size. Also, competitive cyclist has the 105 alloy for under $1300 right now. Looks like a great do-it-all bike with more road-ish geo and clearance for 38s. Ridley sizing seems to run big from what I have read though, so it may be a good idea to try before you buy.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Jamis Renegade is at the top of my list for "off road" road bikes. I'm currently on a Willard 2 I'm ready for something lighter and less rigid.

If you going to go for a Dirt road bike get something with some tire clearance, CX bikes can be stingy on tire clearance and the handling a little quick for bombing down dirt roads

1 - 8 of 8 Posts