Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rebuilt my front wheel, using DT Revolution Spokes and aluminum nipples (brand unknown, but I assume DT as well), and encountered a problem with spoke/nipple threading.

On 4 of the 24 spokes, the aluminum nipples would not thread onto the spoke. On the other 20 there was absolutely no problem w/ threading. Out of curiousity, I tried threading a brass nipple onto these 4 particular spokes, and there was no problem.

I was about to assume that the aluminum nipples that were at fault, but lastly I took a new Wheelsmith AE15 spoke (from the original build) and tried threading the remaining alu nipples onto it. They all threaded on perfectly. Which lends me to believe that the problem lies in the threading of those 4 particular DT spokes.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The AE15 is a 1.8mm end, while the Revs are 2.0mm... so assuming that all your nipples are for 2.0mm, then the AE15 will thread on but be a bit loose. Or maybe you got a few 1.8mm nipples in the batch. Did you try threading these on the Revs from the opposite direction?

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
I'm still learning about wheelbuilding, as you can see. And yeah, I tried threading them from the opposite end. They wouldn't go.
I'm sure that all of the nipples were the same size. The mechanic at my LBS gave me a bag of 50 when I bought the spokes.
:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts