Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. At one point I was an avid mountain biker, but my young kids and general laziness have taken me away from it, and now I'm older and in the worst shape of my life. I'm looking into an entry level road bike to hopefully re-invigorate my interest in biking, and I've found the following:

http://appleton.craigslist.org/bik/1767479736.html

The details I know thus far are those listed, though I have a request in for more information (model, frame material, componentry). It seems a bit steep to me, but he is firm on price, so I'm thinking that perhaps this is a higher end Nishiki (or he's just particularly stubborn or attached to it).

I'm looking through quite a few other bikes as well, but I found this one intriguing. Thought I'd ask for some expert opinions before moving forward. Once I get more info, I'll update my post. Thanks!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also found a Manta at a local thrift store for $25, though I think that the frame was a bit big for me. Not sure if this is in any way worth having...I could tell it was a decent bike, so it was hard to leave it there. :idea:

· Registered
507 Posts
Nishiki was a solid brand from the 80's, with Ultegra-level Suntour components Tange2 butted tubes, Araya 32 spoke aluminum rims. I rode the International model for many miles. I recall it had a longish top tube, not super-stiff. If its in good shape $150 is very fair.

· Registered
877 Posts
I routinely rode my Nishiki Royal 15 on 100 mile rides back in the 1980's, and loved it it to death. Career moves and a divorce made me forget it for a while, but I left it in a relatives shed and recovered it a few weeks ago.

I can't speak for the bike on craigslist, but I love my Nishiki and will be restoring it over the next year to its original condition as much as possible. When that's done, my carbon framed Ultegra bike might be gathering a bit more dust as riding the Nishiki is pure pleasure even if it is a few pounds heavier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.