Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some tests on a new light on the market, Niterider Solas 150. Including a "moisture" test. Did some comparisons with other standbys; Cygolite Hotshot Micro, Light & Motion VIS 180 Micro, Knog Blinder 4, Blitzu Cyborg 168T, Cygolite Hotshot Pro 80, Blackburn 2'fer, Cygolite Lumina Flare, Cateye Rapid X2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMy1JaTx2T0&index=1&list=UUHyRS8bRu6zPoymgKaIoDLA

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Made it 1/3 the way through. Can I make a recommendation? Swap the (god awful) music for a voiceover explaining what you're doing, which lights you're comparing. Really... Poison? ;-)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Made it 1/3 the way through. Can I make a recommendation? Swap the (god awful) music for a voiceover explaining what you're doing, which lights you're comparing. Really... Poison? ;-)
I didn't watch the video but I did have good luck picking up chics, in HS, in my 79 Trans Am with Poison blaring through my Altec-Lansing speakers and homemade woofer...:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't think a voice over was necessary; everything was pretty obvious(side view, direct from behind, 45 degree angle, etc.). Voiceover would have been more work(editing) for this reviewer who doesn't get compensated in any way; it actually cost me time and money(had to buy more lights for comparo). If you open the video on Youtube; there is a lot more info to see. You can always mute the audio. The song was chosen based on length; just needed any song that was about 6 minutes. :)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
No comment on the music, but I agree fully with the rest. It might have been useful, but it's pretty much incomprehensible. If you're going to go to the trouble of shooting and editing video, uploading it and posting it on a forum, make it work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I posted this review in a few places, this forum is the only one complaining.
Didn't think clicking on the "Show more" button on Youtube's page was so hard. :D

0:14 Left to right: Cygolite Hotshot Micro, Light & Motion VIS 180 Micro, Knog Blinder 4, Blitzu Cyborg 168T, Niterider Solas 150, Cygolite Hotshot Pro 80, Blackburn 2'fer, Cygolite Lumina Flare, Cateye Rapid X2
0:28 Left to right: Cygolite Hotshot Pro 80, Cygolite Lumina Flare, Niterider Solas 150 facing.
0:46 Left to right: Cygolite Hotshot Pro 80, Cygolite Lumina Flare, Niterider Solas 150 side view.
1:02 Left, Knog Blinder 4. Right, Niterider Solas 150
1:16 Top to bottom: Blackburn 2'fer, Niterider Solas 150, Knog Blinder 4, Cateye Rapid X2
1:30 Unboxing
4:43 Top to bottom: Cygolite Lumina Flare, Blackburn 2'fer, Niterider Solas 150, Knog Blinder 4, Cateye Rapid X2
4:57 Left, Cygolite Hotshot Pro 80. Right, Niterider Solas 150
5:11 Top, Niterider Solas 150. Bottom, Blitzu Cyborg 168T. Left, Cygolite Hotshot Micro. Right, Cygolite Hotshot Pro 80
5:18 One hour moisture/run test.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I posted this review in a few places, this forum is the only one complaining.
Didn't think clicking on the "Show more" button on Youtube's page was so hard. :D
I guess this is the PITA forum. My criticism stands. It would be more useful and accessible with voiceover explanations (which would have worked on the embedded video), rather than having to go to the other page read the references and check the times (and nothing in the post mentioned that there was more information there). I also note that you did not include a link to this specific video, but only to your youtube page, requiring additional searching (I think you tried to, but you only pasted in the url and didn't make it a link).

But thanks for making the effort. Really. What were your conclusions about the light? Can you summarize?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I know that you were trying to be creative and artsy but it came out yeeech.
That goes for the music too.
So is it a good or bad light?

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
So is it a good or bad light?
I'm assuming that due mostly to the horrendous choice of music, 90% of those who started watching didn't stay long enough to find out. Seriously, if you WANTED to lose viewers any faster, I think only a Captain Beefheart tune could've managed that!

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I'm assuming that due mostly to the horrendous choice of music, 90% of those who started watching didn't stay long enough to find out. Seriously, if you WANTED to lose viewers any faster, I think only a Captain Beefheart tune could've managed that!
Hatin' on Cap'n?? S'up? Next you'll be hating on Zappa...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
.....But thanks for making the effort. Really. What were your conclusions about the light? Can you summarize?
......So is it a good or bad light?
Bottom line; I like it. I like the mounting strap. Convenient if you have multiple bikes; no need to buy extra mounts to swap. Not sure if this strap would work on seat posts that aren't round. Output is good; so is run time for the rides I have done so far. Haven't tried yet to see how long the battery lasts. Good beam spread from all angles; including directly to the side. Not the lightest; so if you're a weight weenie or thinking of helmet mounting - might not be the best for that. Micro USB port; my preference. This is one thing I didn't like about the Cygolite Hotshot 2W original and Pro 80; mini USB charging port. I'm guessing it will be the same for the Pro 100 and Pro 150. Price is US$50 everywhere; local shop or online. Please consider supporting your local shops.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Bottom line; I like it. I like the mounting strap. Convenient if you have multiple bikes; no need to buy extra mounts to swap. Not sure if this strap would work on seat posts that aren't round. Output is good; so is run time for the rides I have done so far. Haven't tried yet to see how long the battery lasts. Good beam spread from all angles; including directly to the side. Not the lightest; so if you're a weight weenie or thinking of helmet mounting - might not be the best for that. Micro USB port; my preference. This is one thing I didn't like about the Cygolite Hotshot 2W original and Pro 80; mini USB charging port. I'm guessing it will be the same for the Pro 100 and Pro 150. Price is US$50 everywhere; local shop or online. Please consider supporting your local shops.
Thanks. That's helpful. I've got a couple of NiteRider headlights, and I've generally been impressed with their designs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts