Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I suffer any ill effects if I use a Nitto Technomic fairly low in the steer tube so that it's not sky high? I don't know if older forks use double butted steer tubes or not so I wasn't sure if this was a good idea...

· Registered
5,844 Posts
Just make sure you get the right model of the Nitto stem with the shorter steerer. I have a Nitto with the long steerer and I have to push it all the way down in the head tube of my bike to where it almost hits the lower part of the headset. My frame is a size 57, so it's not a case of the frame being too small. Fortunately, I ride with my handlebars relatively high (even with saddle height) because I couldn't lower them anymore with this stem.

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'll keep looking, thanks, I keep finding the Technomic for cheap. The frame this is going on is a 57 with an 18cm head tube so it's still a longer steer tube but I want to run the bars fairly low. Is there a modern equivalent to the Nitto Pearl?

· Registered
31 Posts
The Nitto Technomic Deluxe is 35mm shorter in height than the Technomic and has a much better finish. I think it’s usually no more than $10, or less, more than the higher regular Technomic. The Pearl is the same size as the older Dura-Ace and Ultegra stems and has even less height than the Deluxe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.