Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Seat's not level
19,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Human G-Nome said:
This looks just like the guy who washed out in front of me on the last lap on Sunday. Soooo frustrating to be the guy behind that guy that can't corner.
If you were sitting third, then it probably was you. The two going down were leading at the time.

There are quite a few more pictures taken in the following seconds. This just happened to be the most.... interesting.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Chain said:
If you were sitting third, then it probably was you. The two going down were leading at the time.

There are quite a few more pictures taken in the following seconds. This just happened to be the most.... interesting.
that's a cool race...I've taken my kids there a few times.

·
Registered
896 Posts
that picture makes my hips and hands hurt alot. I've been in a couple of crashes just like that and I know the feeling. no broken bones, numb skin, then blood, then pain, then 2 weeks of dealing with road rash and excruciating showers. nice pic.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Travis said:
my question too??? Maybe the 2nd guy stood up and that changed his line but he is way offline for a 90 degree corner, 3rd guy is marginal
Looks like guy #2 is already sliding and his front wheel has washed out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Another question.

In wet conditions, would the best way to take this corner be to exaggeratedly lean your body as much as possible into the corner and keep the bike as vertical as possible? Seems from the other pics that most people are doing this to a slight extent.

·
Seat's not level
19,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bauerb said:
maybe I am missing something but why would 3 lone leaders take such an inside line as to hit the inner-most paint strip?
There are a bunch of riders right behind rider #3. If I have time tonight I will post the uncropped pic.

The race started with dry roads and then a slight sprinkle started. I commented to my wife that there would be a wreck in the next four laps. Lap #2 after I said that and this happened. The corner itself was dry because a huge tree sits above the corner. It took a few laps for the riders wheels to carry enough water to the stripe to make it slick, or there wasn't enough dry pavement between the rain and the corner to dry out the tires.

The first riders rear wheel slid out. The second rider reacted, but was also on the paint, but whatever he did launched his bike off the ground.

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Travis said:
my question too??? Maybe the 2nd guy stood up and that changed his line but he is way offline for a 90 degree corner, 3rd guy is marginal
This is a 170 degree turn with off and on drizzle all day and freshly painted white road strips. I know rider #2, a very strong and experienced crit racer (former california cat 1/2 racer in this competitive 35+ colorado masters race). You should have seen the numerous cat 4 turn washouts in the rain on this course with 2 170 degree turns.

H

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
hogut said:
This is a 170 degree turn with off and on drizzle all day and freshly painted white road strips. I know rider #2, a very strong and experienced crit racer (former california cat 1/2 racer in this competitive 35+ colorado masters race). You should have seen the numerous cat 4 turn washouts in the rain on this course with 2 170 degree turns.

H
yup...it's always a pretty technical course.

·
Seat's not level
19,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hogut said:

H
Here is the course map. The corner in the shot is the one in the lower right hand corner.

Hogut - how did your friend fare. We saw him in a sling after the medics got done with him. Broken?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.