Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work across the hall from some state legislators. One of them rode the elevator down with my bike and me tonight. He briefly mentioned an initiative about a credit for employers whose employees commute on a bicycle (I'd like to ask my boss about that just so I could see his expression). I responded that what I really wanted was a three-feet rule. He said it won't happen, because police find it impossible to enforce.

Sigh. I only hope bicycle cameras become more common.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
That's a stupid reason not to have a law. Many laws are nearly impossible to enforce beforehand, but are still useful in a liability situation. Especially now with so many vehicles having dash cams, bikes with cameras, and red light and security cameras, etc... That, along with witness statements can still make a driver liable for an accident if they don't give the required 3 feet.

My state has a 3' law. I don't always get 3', but often I do.

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
Tell him that you won't vote for him until he changes his opinion on the 3' to pass law.

It takes a while but once those have been in place a few years most drivers give you the room.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The advantage of a 3 foot law is NOT enforcement. As the legislator says, its impossible to enforce. The advantage comes from the same place the advantage for most safety laws comes from, which is fear. People are afraid to get tickets, and a lot of people try very hard to follow these laws blindly, even if they don't like them.

Granted many, many people disregard laws all the time from speeding, to DWI to stop signs, to aggressive driving, and whatever.

But just because it is hard to enforce doesn't mean you don't make the law.

Oh, and by the way! It is NOT impossible to enforce, Because what that legislator failed to mention to you, mtrac (something I am quite sure you aleady know!) is that cops don't need to be out there with magic devices measuring passing distances between cars and bicycles so they can ticket the guy who passes you at 2.9887 feet and not 3.0 feet.

The law would allow cops to nail the guys who are buzzing us out there! The very idea that this is actully impossible to enforce is ludicrous, because with this and pretty much EVERY DMV law out there, cops would now be able to get the most flagrant and obvious offenders.

Anyway that's my ranting 2 cents. lol

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
that's cool you're able to take the bike in the elevator with you to your office.

·
Registered
709 Posts
You should've then asked him "Oh... then how do police enforce murder? Isn't that usually enforced after the fact too?"

lol good point.

Another good point in favor of the 3 foot rule is that if a cop actually witnesses an accident involving a cyclist AND the motorist was passing too close, the motorist could then more easily face more consequences than just insurance hikes.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
lol good point.

Another good point in favor of the 3 foot rule is that if a cop actually witnesses an accident involving a cyclist AND the motorist was passing too close, the motorist could then more easily face more consequences than just insurance hikes.
As a Jersey-ite, I cant say I'd feel any safer if there was a 3 foot rule. Most drivers give me plenty of room. Those that dont are either distracted or doing it on purpose. I dont think a law will discourage that. Nonetheless, having a 3-foot law is not a bad thing even if its mainly about awareness

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
He said it won't happen, because police find it impossible to enforce.
Well ja. Every minimum passing distance law is hard to enforce by itself. Absent a police officer witnessing the infraction or a collision, it can't be prosecuted as a standalone violation. The point of having such a law is the implementation of signage telling motorists to give three feet and also to instill the fear of being ticketed.

Situations like this gave me an interesting thought. Since the majority of non-cycling motorists (including the pleasant ones) are completely ignorant of cycling laws and won't bother to read them anyway, is there real harm in telling a motorist on the street that they have to give you X distance when passing you? People are gullible enough to fall for satirical internet news sites, so I think this is within the realm of plausibility.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tell him that you won't vote for him until he changes his opinion on the 3' to pass law.
Not my legislative district.

that's cool you're able to take the bike in the elevator with you to your office.
My employer used to own the building and was OK with it. The new landlord seems to be, too. Given the parking situation, I'm doing everyone a favor.

You should've then asked him "Oh... then how do police enforce murder? Isn't that usually enforced after the fact too?"
I actually asked him how other states manage a 3-feet rule and he replied that he didn't know.

Aside from enforcement, here is the other main obstruction.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
We have a 3ft law here in Florida.

It seems the only people that know it are us on bikes.

I get buzzed on every single ride.

I guess when a cyclist get hit by a car then the police can cite the driver with violating the 3 ft law.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts