Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
They are mere bumps at 240 ft vertical, as is lower portion of Spring Hill off of 518. Try Zion for a larger bump. Take a look at njbikemap.com

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rode it. This past Sunday I rode up Old Georgetown Rd. and down Copper Mine. For the most part, Old Georgetown is a long incline with some flat spots. Very easy and doable. No one should be afraid of it. EXCEPT when you first see it. The first 150 feet is a freaking straight up wall and you are petrified when you see it. It's blocked by a right turn so you can't see the rest of it and it's scary. Then it turns the corner and now you can that it calms down.

Copper Mine is more of a challenge because it's shorter and steeper. The worse part of it is the beginning, once you get past the beginning, and it will be a struggle, not necessarily for the fairly new experienced rider who has a few miles under their belt, and past the beginning it levels out and slowly climbs. Then it becomes easier.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
518 is nice, but the speed limit is 45mph, and some cars don't pay much attention for some reason. Been buzzed numerous times riding up it.
I found Mountain road up thru warren, nj today. Friggin awesome, way better than zion road. My eyes almost popped outta my head! I love that hill...

·
Registered
950 Posts
jhamlin38 said:
518 is nice, but the speed limit is 45mph, and some cars don't pay much attention for some reason. Been buzzed numerous times riding up it.
I found Mountain road up thru warren, nj today. Friggin awesome, way better than zion road. My eyes almost popped outta my head! I love that hill...
I only use 518 to get to some group ride starts due to traffic. Riding from Lambertville to Hopewell isn't too bad though, with fairly broad berms. I do ride east on 518, including the hill past the quarry, on Thanksgiving Day as part of celebratory individual time trial. Well, I did it last year, and plan to do it again this year.

I did Zion in my big chain ring (53) last Sunday and was feeling very pleased with myself. :thumbsup: Only to get totally shelled on the same hill by several guys yesterday. :mad2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.