Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
With a few exceptions, I think if I had to come up with my top 100 albums it would be remarkably similar. Main exception being #38, just can't get into Spiritualized. What really gets me is that Ride - Nowhere is such a great album is behind it at #39.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I suppose I should be grateful that the Buzzcocks ("Love Bites") and Small Faces ("Ogden's Nut Gone Flake") made it on there, but unless I'm reading this wrong the list is ranking Oasis over all but two other entries...and ahead of the Sex Pistols? ? ? ? ...and way ahead of the Beatles? ? ? ? Wotta sodding wanker....

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Let's tackle just the top 10--Stone Roses #1? Not in my book...Smiths Queen is Dead at 2? If I had to pick a best Smiths album it would be their debut album, Oasis? No way, Sex Pistols? Maybe way down the list a ways, Artic Monkeys? Too new to tell, Blur? Ummm...good but not top 10, Pulp? Same...The Clash London Calling? Yeah...first one I agree with, Beatles Revolver? ummm...predictable, but OK I could go for that, Libertines? Who the F is that?

10) The Libertines - Up The Bracket 2002
9) The Beatles - Revolver 1966
8) The Clash - London Calling 1979
7) Pulp - Different Class 1995
6) Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish 1993
5) Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not 2006
4) Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks 1978
3) Oasis - Definetly Maybe 1994
2) The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead 1986
1) The Stone Roses - S/T 1989

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
whit417 said:
With a few exceptions, I think if I had to come up with my top 100 albums it would be remarkably similar. Main exception being #38, just can't get into Spiritualized. What really gets me is that Ride - Nowhere is such a great album is behind it at #39.
Musically I really like Spiritualized, but J Spaceman's stupid druggy lyrics always ruin it for me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
the Clash are listed below Blur, Oasis and the Smiths?

Looks like the group that chose these albums are ALL well under the age of 30.
I've loved the Stone Roses album since it was released, listened to "The Queen is Dead" about a thousand times, and played the hell out of blur and Pulp during the time in my life when I was a DJ

BUT!

London Calling and Revolver being listed below any of these should be considered treason.
And how about these:
79) Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque 1991
72) Joy Divison - Closer 1980
63) David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars 1972

being listed BELOW these:
50) The La's - S/T 1990
37) Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible 1994
18) Franz Ferdinand - S/T 2004

And I like the Franz Ferdinand release, my kid rocks out to it. (he's 3)

Attention NME: "put the pipe down, step slowly away from the desk...."

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
3rensho said:
Looks like the group that chose these albums are ALL well under the age of 30.
I've loved the Stone Roses album since it was released, listened to "The Queen is Dead" about a thousand times, and played the hell out of blur and Pulp during the time in my life when I was a DJ

BUT!

London Calling and Revolver being listed below any of these should be considered treason.
And how about these:
79) Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque 1991
72) Joy Divison - Closer 1980
63) David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars 1972

being listed BELOW these:
50) The La's - S/T 1990
37) Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible 1994
18) Franz Ferdinand - S/T 2004

And I like the Franz Ferdinand release, my kid rocks out to it. (he's 3)

Attention NME: "put the pipe down, step slowly away from the desk...."
smiths belongs where it is. but i think that their self titled album also belongs on there, maybe in the spot that strangeways occupies.

·
Super Moderator
19,483 Posts
I'm glad Radiohead's The Bends made it so far up.
I'm a little suprised Pink Floyd did not make the list.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
No Richard Thompson? No Fairport Convention? OK I can understand, it's NME after all, but No Van Morrison? No Linton Kwesi Johnson? No Yardbirds? Even NME should get these.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts