Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- Deciding I was in good enough shape to go on a group 75 miler today......fail (Well it worked when I was younger)

- Finding out last night from a fellow RBR'r that it was a hilly ride............Fail

- Realiing that when I moved to Indy (which is flat) I didn't bring anything but a 12-23 cog.............Fail

- Checking the weather.....it's 44 at the condo going up to 57, no wind........arm warmers and a light set of tights will be plenty. Drive the 45 minutes south west to the ride and watch the temps drop 5 degrees and the wind pick up (Knowing I have heavier riding clothes at the condo)..................crazy cold fail

- Getting to the ride and finding they were cutting all the big hills out and cutting the milage to 58............hope

- Having a wingman and his co-worker kind enough to break off from the main group and take me on a tour of Morgan county just as the sun comes out....Beautiful riding area........Priceless.

Antonio B is the man..........we ended up doing around 50 & had a great time.

You'd think after 35+ years of riding I'd realize that I have to prepare.......what a brain lock.:mad2:

Len

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Perhaps there's a Special Olympian out there who could teach you how to improve your bike riding.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rcnute said:
Perhaps there's a Special Olympian out there who could teach you how to improve your bike riding.
Nice....first post in the lounge is a shot....you are goinna make a lot of friends here.

Len

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
Len J said:
Nice....first post in the lounge is a shot....you are goinna make a lot of friends here.

Len
Maybe it was just a reference to the Obama gaff?

Anyways, glad to see you made a good experience out of it.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
I'm going to have to come to Bloomington to try out one of these Saturday morning rides. Sounds Fun, No lowngers that I know of in Central IL other than estone2 and he's in Belgium.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Len J said:
You'd think after 35+ years of riding I'd realize that I have to prepare.......what a brain lock.:mad2:
If you were always prepared, you'd have fewer fond memories.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
with temps like that, i always have extra clothes in the car now days. my drive-way faces south and it's usually pretty warm as i leave if it's sunny. usually much more comfortable than where ever i may be going.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
At my house it is usually colder during the day since I'm near the water. In the morning when I commute, it's warmer and gets progressively colder as I head to work. Cold water is a nice regulator. The big trick is to not overdress for the morning commute because I have to carry it all home and it gets warmer as I get closer to the house. It's not unusual this time of year for the temps to be in the mid 30's at 5am but be in the upper 20's about halfway to work.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Len J said:

Len
Aww, c'mon, Len...think Obama and bowling. Havin' a little fun wit 'cha. I thought that's what this lounge thing was about.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
I have this same problem this time of year every year. I call it "the false optimism of early spring." You want it to be warm, you want to wear shorts and a jersey, and so you believe.

And then the season proves you wrong. Every. time.

50 degrees is just one degree more than the 40's. Duh. Who'd a thunk it?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
If you were always prepared, you'd have fewer fond memories.
Word.

Last minute decision to go for it eh Len? Haha. Those spur of the moment things are always really cool, but they also usually leave you cussing yourself in the end, albeit, with a smile too. :thumbsup:

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rcnute said:
Aww, c'mon, Len...think Obama and bowling. Havin' a little fun wit 'cha. I thought that's what this lounge thing was about.
Wasn't funny then...not funny now.

Len

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Len J said:

Len
This is why I have what I call my "bike box." It is a clear plastic storage bin where i put cycling shoes, a few extra pair of socks, tights, arm warmers, a baselayer, a l/s jersey, and a s/s jersey, along with other items like a spare tube (beside the one in the seat bag), a couple gels or energy bars, and sunglasses. Any time I go for a ride, the box comes along in the car. That way, if the weather changes or I find I forgot something, I can usually dig around in the box and make do.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lets_ride said:
This is why I have what I call my "bike box." It is a clear plastic storage bin where i put cycling shoes, a few extra pair of socks, tights, arm warmers, a baselayer, a l/s jersey, and a s/s jersey, along with other items like a spare tube (beside the one in the seat bag), a couple gels or energy bars, and sunglasses. Any time I go for a ride, the box comes along in the car. That way, if the weather changes or I find I forgot something, I can usually dig around in the box and make do.
Not a bad ides.

I think in this case it has as much to do with not knowing the local weather differences. At home, I'd ridden in so many different weather conditions, that It became second nature. Here, I still have to think about it....I didn't think about it. :cryin:

Len

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Len J said:
Wasn't funny then...not funny now.

Len
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Thanks for the warm welcome to the Lounge.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rcnute said:
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Thanks for the warm welcome to the Lounge.
Maybe try a smiley next time.....satire dowsn't communicate well on the net.

Especially when someone has a member of the family who is mentally challanged.

len

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
len, you have the wrong perspective here....all those potential "fails" became possibilities for "epic wins"

ye shall overcome my friend...shoot, by the time it made it to the lounge it should have been 15 degrees colder, 20 miles longer, and moved from "hilly" to "mountainous".....oh, and you took all the sprints and climbs...legendary

:wink: :thumbsup:

//glad it worked out :wink:

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Len J said:
Maybe try a smiley next time.....satire dowsn't communicate well on the net.

Especially when someone has a member of the family who is mentally challanged.

len
Fair enough.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts