Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my daughter a new bike for her 10th birthday, and, having tried it out a few months ago, we knew she was just barely big enough for it (we didn't want to buy one she would outgrow as we were replacing a too small bike). The only issue was the saddle--it was big, no, huge, and made it hard for her to pedal. BTW--This is the bike, though I bought it local:
https://bicyclewarehouse.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=51745

So, since putting the bike on layaway I have been searching for a kid size saddle that wasn't made out of rock. Don't get me wrong, I love my rock hard Brooks for long NNCing, but for a skinny 10 yr old, soft and comfy is the way to go. This is especially important because she often wants to quit riding because her bottom hurts.

I am having no luck. I finally just bought a saddle last night at Wal-Mart so she could at least ride, but all the comfy cushy saddles are in women's sizes and make it hard for her to pedal. Why no couch saddles in kid sizes?

Also, anyone ever re-cover a cheap saddle? I considered this morning trying to cover it with memory foam or something.

Ideas?

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Just like an adult saddle -- Comfort really comes down to FIT, not the amount of padding. When my daughter was that age, she rode a BMX saddle for a while -- kind of a scaled down road saddle. Not a whole lot narrower, but considerably shorter. Padding was only moderate, but the fit was good, she rode it for one season and got along great.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
Velo and Odyssey make a few junior models. That bike has a pretty upright riding position, so she may be comfortable on a narrow adult saddle. The sit bone contact points get wider as we sit up higher.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JustTooBig said:
Just like an adult saddle -- Comfort really comes down to FIT, not the amount of padding.
I disagree, to a point. When you are 10 and have no butt, comfort comes down to padding. The saddle I bought last night does fit, but it is too hard. She isn't spending hours in the saddle, but maybe at most 30 minutes. When she is hurting after 5 minutes, she needs help. I would rather break the "roadie code" and get her a pillowtop than have her not want to ride at all.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Fit

JustTooBig said:
Just like an adult saddle -- Comfort really comes down to FIT, not the amount of padding...
Does the bike fit? That is always the first place to look.

Is she wearing cycling shorts with a good chamois? Does she need some chamois lube?

BMX shops are a good starting place for saddles, different kind of riding but same size kids. Another place to poke around is some of the tandem shops/discussion boards as there are a lot of kids who are stokers. I believe Bellweather makes kids clothing.

Secret hint - adult armwarmers make great kid size leg warmers. Adult knee high dress socks can be modified into effective kid size arm warmers.

Tandem resources at:
http://www.thetandemlink.com/

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
What about one of those gel covers, modify it to fit?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Secret hint - adult armwarmers make great kid size leg warmers. Adult knee high dress socks can be modified into effective kid size arm warmers.
Great tip! Thanks!

Was she riding another bike much at all before getting this one? Perhaps her sit bones are just not accustomed to riding AT ALL, and it doesn't have a lot to do with the saddle specifically. "New to the bike butt" as a good friend of mine calls it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeh, 10" is too long. It would hang off the back.
She is riding the one she has, she just hates it. I definitely heard about it last night. If it weren't for the fact that the bike is so darn cool she would have stopped.

She is tall for her size, super duper skinny. All bones, which is part of the problem. She has no natural cushion. :)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That second one looks more like what we need. Wonder if I can find one as it seems they are all in the UK. Searching now.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
Comfort on a saddle has nothing to do with body fat percentage. A saddle should support the rider by the ischial tuberosities, not the glutes. A heavily padded saddle will sink in where it supports bony anatomy and push up against softer tissue, exactly what you don't want!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm with you on that for us, but not for kids. There is a big difference between hours on a bike and going around the block.

It's like some of you don't remember what it was like to ride a bike before you were a cyclist.

Thanks for the help above, consider the topic closed.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
I remember riding as a kid. I had a rock-hard banana seat and never remember my ass hurting. Of course, I was one of those kids who would jump on the bike in the am, ride all over town, then make it home before dark if I was lucky.

And I was a skinny girl, too.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Saddle

Serfas makes some youth sizes some of which are gel.

http://www.serfas.com

24601 said:
I disagree, to a point. When you are 10 and have no butt, comfort comes down to padding. The saddle I bought last night does fit, but it is too hard. She isn't spending hours in the saddle, but maybe at most 30 minutes. When she is hurting after 5 minutes, she needs help. I would rather break the "roadie code" and get her a pillowtop than have her not want to ride at all.
A kid ought to be able to ride just about any bike 5 minutes without hurting. Heck, look out the window in the neighborhood and see what kids are riding from garage sale, to WalMart to higher end stuff, its not about the bike or saddle. If your daughter is hurting after 5 minutes there is something wrong other than the hardness of the saddle. I do not think you could find a skinnier 10 year old than mine and he was knocking out centuries on the back of the tandem in a pair of padded bike shorts and a soft but not pillowy saddle. Some things to think about:

Fit - as mentioned before, does the bike fit her properly, this really can make a huge differnce.

Shorts - is she wearing cycling shorts? Underwear or gym shorts that may be binding or grinding?

Hygene - a definite issue with 10 year old boys on week long bike rides. Thank God for swimming pools at night.

Health - any hidden health issues you are not aware of? What about female stuff she would be too embarrased to talk about?

New Bike Butt - as others have mentioned, sometimes it takes a bit of breaking in.

Other - could there be some other reason she does not really like the bike or riding? Rather than admit she does not love the sport you have a passion for or hates the color of her brand new bike or whatever other reason she has she simply says the saddle is hurting her butt after 5 minutes so she can stop riding the stupid bike?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just have to ask--do you really think a 10 yr old should put on cycling shorts to ride around the neighborhood? Are you kidding me? Heck, I don't even wear cycling shorts to ride around the neighborhood on my BMX, and that seat isn't so great either.

My daughter is sensitive. Things bother her. Being uncomfortable bothers her, and she will do whatever necessary to avoid it. Sometimes we address those things and make her work through them, but those things are important. Now, I can be a jerk cyclist dad and tell her to get her skinny butt out there to ride until it stops hurting, or I can do what I can to make her want to ride. She wants to ride, she told me so, but the seats are uncomfortable to her right now, and is not the kind of person to "get used to it" or "work into it" if she can stay inside and play Barbie instead.

I can tell her to sit on her "ischial tuberosities", and then I can watch the bike waste away in the garage. I did that with my wife. I bought her expensive "women's specific" saddles. I watched her cry as she tried to ride but could never get comfortable. I finally gave in and let her use a big padded seat, which she did enjoy, but by then it was too late.

I see her bike, which hasn't been ridden in a year, hanging in the garage. I tried to play to "cyclist" game with my wife and lost. I don't get to ride with my wife, which I loved, because I tried to be a cyclist more than a husband. I will not do the same with my daughter. I am her father, I love her more than life itself. She wants to ride with daddy, but she doesn't want her butt to hurt. I am going to do everything in my power to make that happen.

I wasn't going to address this again, but I felt that needed to be said.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
I hope you can find something that will work for her. Let us know what you end up getting.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I saw this in my LBS, and thought of this thread so snapped a few shots with my cell phone. I put my sunglasses in one pic so you could see the scale.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

She is riding, but still doesn't like her seat. At least she is willing to deal with it instead of letting the bike sit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts