Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A great weekend of racing under the sun. I was rooting for the Cutters since I know most everyone associated with the team. They didn't let me down. They also got me infield passes .... cha ching!

Synopsis: 33 teams riding identical bikes. Schwinn single-speeds (48x18 gearing), 700x28 tires, coaster brakes, platform pedals. Racing on a cinder track -- yes, wrecking gives a new definition to "road rash".

The Cutters had to put in several TT efforts to stay with the leaders after wrecks, penalties, and less-than-ideal exchanges. Their strength kept them in the race.

Winning time for 200 laps: 2:15:18. Avg speed of 22.22 mph includes rider/bike exchanges and time spent riding under the yellow caution flag.

About 80 people in the pressbox, and the TV cameras (broadcast on HD Net) on the roof had a great view of the home straight.

Each team is allowed two bikes (identical, but one always has a higher saddle to accomodate different sized riders), the Cutters team mechanic on the infield with one of the bikes and spare parts.

A half hour before the race, the stands are filling up.

One of the Indy 500 pace cars leads out the parade laps.

The last pace lap before the green flag drops. The Cutters team is in the yellow jerseys.

Cutters lead the field

The field is pretty bunched up early in the race.

Team representatives and race officials act as lap counters to keep track of everyone. This is early in the race, but later on, slower teams may be down by several laps. The lap counters not only help fans monitor their favorite team, but help officials keep track so they can keep slower teams out of the faster traffic.

Lots of traffic in the turn. TV camera behind the fence -- HD Net had about six big cameras and a couple on booms.

Cutters making an exchange in the background.... In the exchange, the incoming rider dismounts the right side, hands the bike off to the new rider (within a prescribed exchange zone), who does a 'flying mount' from the left. Teams can be penalized if the exchange goes outside their designated exchange area.

Riders can also do a two bike exchange. Again, they have to be in the prescribed area when the 'exchange' takes place.

Cutters got back on with the leaders after a wreck on lap 80 then serving a penalty on lap 180. The team workhorse put the sprinter in position with the leaders on the last exchange around lap 190.

Eric was easily the strongest in the field -- when he came through on the front when the bell sounded for the last lap, we were confident no one could catch him. He rode away from the field on the backstretch and won easily.

Eric acknowledges his team mates as he comes back into the pit area.

Eric gets hoisted by team members and supporters. The guys from Phi Delta Theta (in the next pit) were not quite as happy as the Cutters -- they qualified on the pole, but finished a lap down out of the top 10.

The team is lost in a herd of press and cameras.

Clayton, Michael, Zach and Eric begin a victory lap after the awards ceremony.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
isn't that how they roll in texas, too....

this was an awesome post. thanks for sharing. i wish there were more of these....looks like friggin blast

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
jupiterrn said:
Creaky you only noticed her because she is hot.
Meh, if you like skanky nasty sorority chicks who curse like longshoremen and drink like sailors in Bangkok.

Which, of course, I do. Mmmm hmmm.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Looks like great fun (and great weather too). I wonder if any other schools do anything like this?

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zac said:
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Let me guess in order from Left to Right
Cyril, Dave, Moocher and Mike?
HA! Now that you mention it, Clayton actually DOES look quite a bit like Cyril! I'll have to ask him about that soon.

But seriously, the guy is a freakin' horse. Eric is a scary sprinter, but every time they needed a monster effort, they put Clayton on and he just dropped the hammer and got them back in the race.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jupiterrn said:
Creaky you only noticed her because she is hot.
It was funny as h3ll watching quite a few of the photogs on the infield wearing "PRESS" credentials -- some spent quite a bit of time with their cameras focused ACROSS the track, taking pictures of hot chicas in minimal attire. Last year was really chilly on race day, I heard more than one photographer mention to another that the nice weather this year gave them many more opportunities for "non-racing" shots. :thumbsup:

·
hold my beer n watch this
1,756 Posts
Wow that is cool, sounds familier though...

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Did anyone see the girls race on Saturday?? I have never seen so many girls bouncing off the ground...a couple of 'pile ups' but a couple of girls just wrecked out on their own. I know it was wrong, but after about the 5th wreck, I couldn't help but laugh...like I said, I know it was wrong........

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MCF said:
Did anyone see the girls race on Saturday?? I have never seen so many girls bouncing off the ground...a couple of 'pile ups' but a couple of girls just wrecked out on their own. I know it was wrong, but after about the 5th wreck, I couldn't help but laugh...like I said, I know it was wrong........
The womens' race was Friday afternoon -- maybe you were watching recorded coverage?

It's not too unusual to see solo wrecks that just come "out of the blue" for no apparent reason. I saw one in the mens race too, but it's a lot more common in the womens race, where there is a more pronounced difference in the abilities of the riders. In their defense, I can tell you from experience that riding on that cinder track (the surface "gives" and shifts under the tires, particularly in the corners) is NOTHING like riding on asphalt.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Actually I was watching it on Friday...I know they were racing on cinders that make it much more difficult and I give the girls credit. Halfway through first lap - BOOM, big pile up. Have way around 2nd lap - BOOM, big pile up. By third lap I think there were less than 6 teams on lead lap and then couple solo wrecks and a couple exchange wrecks just made it amusing. It just looks nasty when they are showing a girl cruising along by herself and then all of a sudden front wheel starts to wobble and BLAM!!! And they would show the wrecks OVER and OVER in slow motion....I believe there were at least two broken collarbones.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Cool to get to see that. Thanks for the post.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
I don't mean to be a purist but shouldn't the Cutters race in white t-shirts with the a simple CUTTERS in black letter on 'em?

WWDS?

(What would Dave say?)

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
What's up witht the "Stop Cutters" t shirts those guys are wearing in the victory lap pic?

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
iliveonnitro said:
Mike Sherer? Erik Hamilton? Did Isaac Neff race?

I only know of 2 good male IU riders...
Isaac Neff rode for the Black Key Bulls last year, they got lapped after a wreck, and they never got back into contention for the sprint. I haven't seen Isaac in quite a while.

Mike Sherer was the sprinter for the Dodds House team in 2008 (they finished 2nd). I don't think Mike rode this year, either.

Eric Hamilton is on the Cutters team, but was not one of the four to ride. He can be seen in the "victory lap" photo, right behind Zach, in the "stop Cutters" T-shirt

1 - 20 of 28 Posts