Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JRA a country road with my buddy. Out of a yard a 20 lb. dog comes tearing straight out of nowhere. Instead of the usual try to nip your legs or try to race beside you he sprints straight in front of me and I ran him over with the front tire.

It all happened in about 3 seconds. I ran him over broadside with the front wheel and he rolled as I rolled over him. Because I was trying to avoid him at the last second, I was trying to turn and when the wheel came down, I hit the ground hard. Got a big goose egg on my shin and a badly bruised hip.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I feel your pain. I did almost exactly the same thing about 20 years or so ago except I was on a Yamaha 750. The dog was a chocolate standard poodle. I went over the bars and messed my knees up pretty bad and cracked my helmet (but it did it's job). The dog went to wherever chocolate standard poodles go when their time on Earth is done. When dogs run out of a hedge or something, it doesn't leave much time for evasive action.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
Is the bike OK?

Glad it wasn't too bad (at least sounds like a straightforward injury, tho painful). A Lounger we both know had the same accident a few years back while hammering it on his TT bike and cracked his pelvis.

Good luck with the healing and keep us posted on the recovery.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm sorry to hear it and hope you recovery quickly.

A few weeks ago I was riding down a slight incline into a small town with two friends on my wheel when a dog ran out towards us. I had my head down and was hammering it at 28 mph and didn't see the dog until one of my buddies yelled. I had no time whatsoever to react but luckily the dog was smart enough to veer off at the last minute and I was past before I even had time to get scared.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dog howled and jumped up and ran to the house door where a woman came out and picked him up. The man who was with the dog outside had a robe, sock and sandals on and was smoking a cigarette. He walked over and asked me if I was ok and if I needed anything. I told him I just needed to sit there a while. You need that time to figure out if anything is broken. I told him I ran over his dog and he should make sure the dog was ok. He said he was worried about me and not the dog right now. His attitude made it very easy after a couple of minutes to straighten my brake lever and hop back on my bike with NO anger whatsoever.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
The same thing happened to my father about 25 years ago. I remember him coming home from the ride all bloodied up with the worst road rash I've ever seen. He no longer has freckles on areas where the rash was really bad.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
nnc?

jra?

I need the Cliff's Notes.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
Damn. Now, if you had A JOB, things like this wouldn't happen.

Glad yer OK, best possible outcome for everyone though. Could have gone sideways fast.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nnc? Well, this little gem is older than dirt and a unique loungeism that was created before the group was called The Lounge. Used to be called Non Cycling. Hence, Non non cycling (NNC) was when you talked about cycling in the non cycling forum.

jra? Just riding along Commonly used by customers in bike stores when explaining how their rear der got ripped off the bike

I need the Cliff's Notes.

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
The dog howled and jumped up and ran to the house door where a woman came out and picked him up. The man who was with the dog outside had a robe, sock and sandals on and was smoking a cigarette. He walked over and asked me if I was ok and if I needed anything. I told him I just needed to sit there a while. You need that time to figure out if anything is broken. I told him I ran over his dog and he should make sure the dog was ok. He said he was worried about me and not the dog right now. His attitude made it very easy after a couple of minutes to straighten my brake lever and hop back on my bike with NO anger whatsoever.

Its funny how that works sometimes. Last night I was passed on a rural road pretty close. I sat back on my bike seat after the car had passed and threw my hands up in the air as to say " wtf are you doing". The car slowed ahead of me and came to a stop and I was bracing for a heated exchange.

The guy in the car was probably around 30, burly and had a epic beard. I said to the guy right away that he was way too close and the law requires a 3 foot separation. The guy in the car then stated he was sorry. There was other dialogue but I told him I appreciated his response. I just never expected this type of conversation to occur due to past experience.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
The dog went to wherever chocolate standard poodles go when their time on Earth is done.

Thank you for my laugh of the morning! :lol:

Glad that this latest dog accident resulted in only a bump and a bruise.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Glad you are relatively OK.

Len

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damn. Now, if you had A JOB, things like this wouldn't happen.

Glad yer OK, best possible outcome for everyone though. Could have gone sideways fast.
Yeah, this morning I pushed my luck by using a chainsaw on a ladder. I trimmed a bunch of tree limbs. I am going to work at understanding Bernouilli's principle this afternoon in the sailboat. Tough days!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
collar bone intact?

Yaaaayyy!

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
collar bone intact?

Yaaaayyy!
Wrist bones OK--also yaaaaay!

Worst thing I ever saw was a friend's young son (5-ish?) who darted out onto the road, just as the bunch came around the corner to line up for the sprint--someone clipped him (and went down), the kid went pinwheeling across the road and everyone else missed him.

We all sat there frozen in horror--and then the kid picked himself up--I don't even think he started crying--he was just so shocked. The racer that went down was OK as well, but everyone who saw it happen was a little shaken to say the least.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
Glad you're pretty OK. And yeah, I can relate. I've been put on the pavement by pooches, a couple of times. One time, the Shepherd had sharp enough teeth to slice through my Levis (I was commuting to class at college).

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
Yeah, this morning I pushed my luck by using a chainsaw on a ladder. I trimmed a bunch of tree limbs. I am going to work at understanding Bernouilli's principle this afternoon in the sailboat. Tough days!
Hopefully not a failboat.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Glad you're OK. I don't worry much about dogs but I've had a bunch of near misses with furry, woodland creatures and did hit a squirrel earlier this year. It looked pissed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts