Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was gonna be the one. I was finally gonna crack the top half of the most competitive course at a French cyclosportif. I was ready: mega-kilometers for two months, hill/mountain reps, speedwork, overdistance, the works.

Yesterday at La Louis Pasteur in Jura, I ran the greatest 130 km of my life, smoking people on the climbs and hanging on everywhere else.

Too bad the course was 178.5 km long. Cramps, cramps, cramps: left foot, left calf, right calf, then the entire right leg rendered completely useless at 137 km. For the first time in my life I was forced off the bike in mid-event. Seconds later my stomach went to hell; that meant 10 minutes wasted in the woods during which time I developed a new relationship with ferns.

I got back on and finished, very slowly, grinding out the worst 40kms ever in a state of perpetual cramping. People I had passed four hours earlier pulled up alongside me and asked if I was OK. Instead of the sub-6-hour, middle-of-the-pack masterpiece of my dreams I've got a 6:42, 187th-out-of-225 performance to show for it.

Not one of the good days.

·
Opus was just napping
21,430 Posts
Is it too early in the thread for an HTFU?

//No...no...good.

HTFU.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
187/225 > Dfl

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Chain said:
fixed.

The question is, did you forget to unclip while looking at the scenery?
no schitt ..... to have to say, "Not only was I a walking cra(m)p, but I also TOG'ed" ... the ultimate humiliation!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Don't worry, in about a week the fern spores will start sprouting out of your a$$ and you'll forget all about the ride.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ridgetop said:
Don't worry, in about a week the fern spores will start sprouting out of your a$$ and you'll forget all about the ride.
Now that would be cool.

In other news, part of the race went through the biggest hemp field I've ever seen. The smell was incredible! Wish I would've bonked there instead...

@Creaky: while the Jura is one gorgeous place and the people there are fantastic cycling fans and uber-friendly...[sigh] hotties were scarce yesterday.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
name for those

I have a name for races that go bad. "Training rides."

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Swish said:
What went wrong? Not enough hydration? overheating? Inquiring
minds want to know!
That is the question, isn't it.:)

Possible explanations include:

1) the very hot and sweaty soccer match the night before (one of my part time jobs involves going to all Lyon home matches) coupled with a very hot (34C) and muggy day;

2) simply overestimating how fast I could go and for how long;

3) fatigue from getting up at 4am on 4 hours' sleep to get to the race on time, and

3) food/drink error.

The last one is unlikely, as I followed the same prescription as always, but who knows.

Of course, after losing all remaining fluids it's not surprising that the last 40 km didn't go very well, so that's no surprise.

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
I've done the L-P twice before .... all I can say is that the côte de Chamolle is a b!tch... oh, and the climb out of Arbois is its b!tchy sister!!

Any ride with cramps makes you stronger, wiser and more humble -- that can't be too bad!!

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
philippec said:
I've done the L-P twice before .... all I can say is that the côte de Chamolle is a b!tch... oh, and the climb out of Arbois is its b!tchy sister!!

Any ride with cramps makes you stronger, wiser and more humble -- that can't be too bad!!
More humble, definitely...not sure about the other two though.:)

I had no troubles on Chamolle, but the climb out of Arbois was pretty steep and sweaty. What a descent into Arbois though! The short tunnels and rock formations were magnificent, not to mention the perfectly smooth road.

They also added a climb this year, just for fun: we came up over La Serre on a tiny road that wound through some vineyards around km 155 on the way back to Dôle. It was also 10 km longer than usual due to a bridge that was under construction...still, what happened to me wasn't the courses fault.:) I've got no complaints about the route or the event at all: cramps and ferns aside, it was a well-run affair and I'll try and do it again next year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts