Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've been having this problem for quite sometime now: each time I ride my road bike, my hamstring right near the attachment(or maybe origin) at the back of the knee hurts. It's at the biceps femoros tendon.

Now, this has never been an issue before but I've noticed it started to occur around before I left for LA last year (end of October).

Ever since then, each time I ride my road bike, my hamstring would start to hurt during the ride. I'll try moving forward on the saddle, or behind, but to no avail. I think standing helps.

Then, after a while, I won't feel any pain and can ride without any discomfort at all. Then it might hurt for a little bit before heading home or so. This occurs on 'longer' rides of about 2+ hours onwards.

Now, I have not changed my saddle position or height or anything at all.

And, here is the 'clincher' - no issues at all when I ride my TT bike.

The 'final straw' was when I rode my road bike a few days ago and again yesterday. 2 days ago, I rose into a strong headwind and was spent at the end of the day and my RIGHT hamstring (at the belly this time) felt sore. After yesterday's ride of about 2 hours, my right hamstring became so sore I could barely walk.

Taking a day off today. On the plus side, no issues with my left leg.

So, what gives? I've rode with a saddle height a little lower than 'ideal' and also raised it by a tad, but it's not helped. Weird few months. What do you experts suggest?

Thanks a bunch.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Have you been stretching well after you ride? I used to get hamstring pain, and stretching helped.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
randi_526 said:
Have you been stretching well after you ride? I used to get hamstring pain, and stretching helped.
Well I have and I also get massages after harder days too.

I'm thinking it could be a positional issue but I feel it's probably more likely a case of some tendinitis maybe. But, the recent right hamstring(when my problem has been the left biceps femoris) soreness makes me wonder.

Might be a dumb idea to go on a long ride with lots of hill work tomorrow but I'll see if I can.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andrea138 said:
Try a different saddle. Get a good fitting when you make the swap.
Saddle? :idea:

Not catching your drift here.

Seriously though, it's never been an issue before around October or so last year.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
seat's too high.

duh - find a good fitter. are the measurements exactly the same as your TT bike?

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
Reducing your RPM's, increasing pedal/cleat float might reduce some of the symptoms.

How is your back (and stomach)? Your spine and core muscles could affect the angle of your hips and relative position of your legs.

...I have no medical training by the way. Best of luck to you.

Thanks,
Tshirt

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andrea138 said:
Your hamstrings attach in the area where you sit. Pressure from the saddle could be causing some sort of mis-alignment. Also, if your height or fore/aft is off, it could cause pain at the knee.

Now I get your drift. But, like I said though, I've only started experiencing this problem since around October last year or so.

IIRC, the problem stemmed from track (sprints in track & field) but I can't say for sure since I don't remember it thoroughly now.

I stopped riding for quite sometime since then and of course, the pain wasn't there. Then, when I first rode in Anaheim with Joe, I felt the pain that day itself and hammering on some slopes that day and after didn't make things better of course. The pain came back.

:idea:

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
T-shirt said:
Reducing your RPM's, increasing pedal/cleat float might reduce some of the symptoms.

How is your back (and stomach)? Your spine and core muscles could affect the angle of your hips and relative position of your legs.

...I have no medical training by the way. Best of luck to you.

Thanks,
Tshirt
Actually, pushing a harder gear makes the pain more omnipresent. I typically spin a relatively high cadence when riding. Spine/core is pretty good/strong.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
Go to a PT. I've torn BOTH of my strings. It's been years and I'm still in pain
running, riding, and sometimes all day long doing nothing. Let the PT determine
what the issue is then, trouble shoot. DON'T screw w/hamstring issues!

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
get 170 crank arms.

That's a 1/2 joke. I switched from 175 to 170 cranks and a lot of my knee pain went away.

What is differnt on your TT bike? Most likely the angle from the saddle to the BB. And you are probably slightly more forward. And you might be in a more "aggressive" position on the TT bike, so you are on the saddle slight different.
all things to consider

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i would measure your TT bike and measure your road bike. see how they compare. i was getting issues with my left hamstring, but at the top and not near the knee. since buying a new road bike, i really haven't had much issue. i've pretty much set everything by feel for right now. the saddles are different which makes me think Andrea may be on to something regarding saddles. at some point, i'll need to get properly fitted on the new bike. i never bothered with the old one since i knew it would get replaced.

did you change shoes or cleats? that can be affecting the height from bottom of your pedal stroke to the top of your seat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts