Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did my first bike only race last night. I was more nervous for this than the triathlon.

It was a Time Trial, so really there was no reason to be nervous - just go out and ride as hard as I can for 10 miles.

Route was pretty straight, and definitely flatter than I'm used to.

I learned a few things:
1) Warm up more. I felt like garbage the first 3 miles.
2) Seats too low for that type of riding. Fix it.
3) 20x2's, 3 times a week.
4) Work more: I hurt everywhere last night but feel great today.
5) Getting passed by the people that started several minutes after you can play mind games if you let it.
6) I can't wait until next Tuesday.

I'm number 542.

Not even dead last! 31:03.3 and 19.3mph average. My goal was sub 31 and if there wasn't a car at the turn around I would've made it. There's always next week.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
skyphix said:
5) Getting passed by the people that started several minutes after you can play mind games if you let it.
but by not waving at them as they passed, the mind games were returned. Good thinking on your part.

nice job too.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JustTooBig said:
but by not waving at them as they passed, the mind games were returned. Good thinking on your part.

nice job too.

You know, I didn't even think of that. I feel significantly better now, since I didn't wave. I'm a jerk, and now they know it.

Thanks guys

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
I'd probably warm up for 45 minutes prior to the start, and get my heart rate up to 95% prior for at least one effort. That's just me. Was it an event where you had to sit and wait to go, or could you have rode right up until the start?
I think a TT is a great way to start, it can be very addicting chasing personal goals!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I probably could've ridden up until about 15 minutes prior to start. We line up then go once a minute (traffic permitting). I think next week I'll ride half the course at an easy pace with a few short intervals to get everything warm and ready.

There is only 2 more this season, but next year I probably will warm up at home, on the trainer, then head down there, race, and cool down on the ride home. Its only a 15 minute ride from my house to where the race is held.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Way to get out there and do it!
Personally, I hate TT's... avoid whenever possible.

/ gratuitous Aarontoy pic

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Creakyknees said:

Thanks.

I think I'm a TT'er, now. I'm definitely not a climber and my speeds tend to really die anytime hills (even small ones, or rollers) are introduced. I don't have the cash to run in a crit (one good road bike and no money to replace broken parts/frames/etc) or even have any crits remotely locally.

Hopefully next season I'm hoping I'll be able to be closer to the middle of the time slip instead of toward the bottom.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
skyphix said:
Thanks.

I think I'm a TT'er, now. I'm definitely not a climber and my speeds tend to really die anytime hills (even small ones, or rollers) are introduced. I don't have the cash to run in a crit (one good road bike and no money to replace broken parts/frames/etc) or even have any crits remotely locally.

Hopefully next season I'm hoping I'll be able to be closer to the middle of the time slip instead of toward the bottom.
Yep, keep at it. 2x20's are good but also mix in some 3-5 minute efforts - teach yourself to just haul ass, bring up your expectations of what a high cruise speed feels like.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Creakyknees said:

/ gratuitous Aarontoy pic

Aarontoy haulin' a$s!!!!

no, wait..... completely cross-chained. 18mph, and that derailleur is screaming for mercy!

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
good job at getting out and racing.

·
Clyde-o-Matic
713 Posts
I would probably lean towards doing the 20 x 2 only twice a week. Throw in a group ride or 3 x 5 intervals for one day instead. Keep doing the TT's - they will keep you motivated and give you some feedback on your progress.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts