Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some community rides before, and ridden on my own quite frequently, but I haven't ever ridden in a paceline or a pack before. Until, that is, yesterday. The LBS has a series of group rides ranging from "mild," 15mph for 22 miles, to "spicy," 22mph for 35 miles. I'm a pansy, so I stuck with the slow, short ride. But man, what a thrill! It wasn't competitive, of course, but it was designed to familiarize the riders with basic concepts of riding together on the road... with some rudimentary drafting concepts, and other necessities of riding in a pack thrown in for good measure.

I tracked the ride on my GPS, and I think last night's ride was the longest ride I've done, distance wise, which is pretty cool. Normally, I call it quits between 13 and 15 miles, but having a group of people pushing me helped immensely. Plus, we actually got to pick up the pace a little on the back roads, and drafted up to that 20mph threshold for a few miles. I'm stoked this morning! My legs are sore and jellylike, but I'm very happy.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I enjoy most pack riding although I haven't ridden in a large group in a while. I always liked the mini-races; town line sprints and such. If you stick with it, get faster, it can be a lot of fun, provided your local A group isn't a bunch of dooshes.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
I've done some community rides before, and ridden on my own quite frequently, but I haven't ever ridden in a paceline or a pack before. Until, that is, yesterday. The LBS has a series of group rides ranging from "mild," 15mph for 22 miles, to "spicy," 22mph for 35 miles. I'm a pansy, so I stuck with the slow, short ride. But man, what a thrill! It wasn't competitive, of course, but it was designed to familiarize the riders with basic concepts of riding together on the road... with some rudimentary drafting concepts, and other necessities of riding in a pack thrown in for good measure.

I tracked the ride on my GPS, and I think last night's ride was the longest ride I've done, distance wise, which is pretty cool. Normally, I call it quits between 13 and 15 miles, but having a group of people pushing me helped immensely. Plus, we actually got to pick up the pace a little on the back roads, and drafted up to that 20mph threshold for a few miles. I'm stoked this morning! My legs are sore and jellylike, but I'm very happy.
Outstanding! I’ve thought about trying it, but:

A.) I’d worry about accidentally taking somebody out... which would probably lead to me accidentally taking somebody out.
B.) I don’t really like people as a general rule

But it sounds like you had a great time.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Outstanding! I’ve thought about trying it, but:

A.) I’d worry about accidentally taking somebody out... which would probably lead to me accidentally taking somebody out.
B.) I don’t really like people as a general rule

But it sounds like you had a great time.
I was concerned with taking someone out, as well. But, the group was really supportive...for each n00b, they had one experienced rider to sorta kinda coach us along. It was a little intimidating, being so close to other riders, but I quickly got used to it. The only group riding I've ever done in this close proximity has been on a MTB, so road riding was a walk in the park compared to that. Also, I wasn't shoulder-checked off of a cliff like I was MTB'ing one time...

·
Registered
20,743 Posts
I've done some community rides before, and ridden on my own quite frequently, but I haven't ever ridden in a paceline or a pack before. Until, that is, yesterday. The LBS has a series of group rides ranging from "mild," 15mph for 22 miles, to "spicy," 22mph for 35 miles. I'm a pansy, so I stuck with the slow, short ride.
Awesome. Going with the slower pace doesn't make you a pansy. It makes you smart. Your group riding skills wouldn't have been up to par for a 22mph group ride. Even if you were strong enough, you'd be a danger to yourself and others.

Not all group rides are created equal. Sounds like you found one of the good ones.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
after several thousand solo miles, I sometimes think that maybe a group ride would be fun for a change...

so, I do one and am soon reminded why I ride solo.

dozens of retina-searing blinky lights, sketchy handling skills, incessant yelling about 'hazards'...car up! car back! hole! glass! squirrel! twig! leaf! pebble!...gah.

occasionally find a group that's got its act together and enjoy the ride, but it's a crap shoot...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey, everyone has to start somewhere! Glad you had a good ride with some supportive riders. I started my road riding with a group of older riders, mostly more than double my age, and they were happy to take the time to teach me the right way to do things. I would rather take the time to teach somebody how to safely enjoy the sport than to be a douche and watch them get frustrated and end up quitting or getting hurt.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
I like riding with people I know and know their skill set. I have ridden with too many aggressive, squirrelly riders. Solo or small groups for me thanks.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Group rides can be fun. I prefer mountain bike group rides more these days, but I did some racing and pace-lining back in the day. It was great fun to ride with the fast guys and the miles would go by so fast. I know people that learned to ride in groups by joining a cat 5 race, as long as you have some common sense it isn't that big of a deal. Realize that many people that ride bicycles like that have a certain type A personality to start with.

I'm glad you had fun maybe some day you'll tackle the fast group just to see...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I used to do club rides twice a week in the spring and summer. They helped me add training miles for the endurance rides I did each summer. The other upside is that I made friends with several folks with like-minded riding interests and goals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts