Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
stem and I don't care who knows it...

Enjoy yourself, Lownje... since I obviously can't... :)

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow.....that's quite a stem there....
Isn't it, though? Sure, you have to get used to mothers shielding their children's eyes when they see you coming... and the slow head-shake-o-shame from... well... every cyclist you pass. But what do I care? I'm comfortable, dammit. Comfortable, I tells 'ya.

I have seen the future of fat, old men cycling... :)

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
I found your problem. As seen in Pic#1, you're always riding down hill. Try riding right to left, instead of left to right.

HTH HTH HTH NTTAWWT TIA!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
those stems were pretty common on the Drop Bar MTBs of the 80s

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
oh, man, i would totally ride with a stem like that if i were a young t-rex entering my first tour de cretaceous.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The Lownje delivers

I've discovered that climbing out of the saddle is pretty easy, since I'm halfway there already JRA...

The ride is remarkably smooth. I assume vibrations get too tired to make it all the way up to the bars...

I am finally comfortable riding in the drops... which would be the hoods on most bikes...

My saddle/bar drop is - 4 inches...

·
Avid smart-ass
67 Posts
Well, if it's carbon fiber you shouldn't lose too many cool points. Or just tell everyone it is, and brag how amazingly aero it is. Why am feeling the urge to go watch Easy Rider?

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, if it's carbon fiber you shouldn't lose too many cool points. Or just tell everyone it is, and brag how amazingly aero it is. Why am feeling the urge to go watch Easy Rider?
Nope. It's steel. There weren't any torque specs, so I e-mailed the manufacturer and was told to "crank it till the thread strips, then back it off a 1/4 turn".

I bought it as an experiment, and it's a little high up even for me. But here's the thing... I'm a full 1 mph faster on this bike than either of my other bikes on the same 25 mile ride. Strange but true.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Nope. It's steel. There weren't any torque specs, so I e-mailed the manufacturer and was told to "crank it till the thread strips, then back it off a 1/4 turn".

I bought it as an experiment, and it's a little high up even for me. But here's the thing... I'm a full 1 mph faster on this bike than either of my other bikes on the same 25 mile ride. Strange but true.
That's because your front end arrives about 2 minutes before the rest of you does.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's because your front end arrives about 2 minutes before the rest of you does.
I had been calling the bike "Nessie" because it reminds me of the Loch Ness Monster. Cyrano isn't a bad option...

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
The Lownje delivers

I've discovered that climbing out of the saddle is pretty easy, since I'm halfway there already JRA...

The ride is remarkably smooth. I assume vibrations get too tired to make it all the way up to the bars...

I am finally comfortable riding in the drops... which would be the hoods on most bikes...

My saddle/bar drop is - 4 inches...
all it needs now are aero bar extensions

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.