Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out for a ride on the local MUT yesterday. it was nearing dusk and i was on the last section before i hit the 2 miles of road back home. i had just crossed a main road and saw two guys about 1/4 mile ahead of me and decided to hammer up to them. they must have put on the gas cause i had to really push it to close the distance.

just as i was approaching them, the dude on the right veered left right into his riding partner. they both went down hard. i jammed on the brakes and then saw what had happened.

in the low light and at the pace they were going, they must not have seen a guy on a bike who was on the right moving slowly. dude on the right had to cut left to avoid nailing him and he ended up taking both himself and his buddy out.

i stopped to make sure everyone was ok. the guy on the slow moving bike was just standing there holding his bike looking very confused. the two guys were picking themselves up and nothing was broken, no visible road rash, not even a torn jersey.

i got back on the pace and head home. about a 1/2 mile down the trail, i saw a slow moving guy on a bike, he had a flashing light on the rear and a flashing head lamp.

i was wearing my Lounge jersey.

·
just ride your bike
518 Posts
I avoid the local MUT (Baltimore & Annapolis Trail) at all costs; it's filled with slow cruisers, joggers, dogs, kids, etc. I see local club riders doing group rides on the trail and I can't fathom why; there's a quiet, windy road with some nice hills that run parallel to that flat, straight nightmare!

Glad you didn't add to the pileup.

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
There's a lady on the local MUT here who has taken to walking across the large bridge portion (www.bigdambridge.org) with her arms outstretched blocking both sides yelling at anyone she deems is going too fast.

I haven't run into her but judging by the e-mails going around she's becoming quite a problem.

·
hold my beer n watch this
1,756 Posts
Sylint said:
There's a lady on the local MUT here who has taken to walking across the large bridge portion (www.bigdambridge.org) with her arms outstretched blocking both sides yelling at anyone she deems is going too fast.

I haven't run into her but judging by the e-mails going around she's becoming quite a problem.
The best email on the subject was the guy who suggested to just toss her over the bridge...:thumbsup:

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
i'm the slow guy on the MUT tewting on the time trialers

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
desurfer said:
I avoid the local MUT (Baltimore & Annapolis Trail) at all costs.
i ride the trail from Jumper's Hole down to Old County - take Old County back to Evergreen, then back on the trail. if i want to work it on the hill on Old County i'll reverse it.

Old County is a mess right now - they milled it and are repaving in sections - the winding hill part is rough. i've been working on my handling skills on it :thumbsup:

the pileup was in the empty section north of Earleigh Heights Rd halfway between the bridge and the road crossing.

the B&A is great if the weather isn't sun shiny and calm. the worst is the pacelines on the airport loop. i use that for a short section over 195 and then hop back on 170 if i'm heading toward Odenton from Ferndale.

sounds like you need to HTFU and go out with me. :D

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I ride the MUT when I want to go for a sllllllooooow ride. The idiots and the "scenery" keep me at a slower pace.

Need to know - was it Uncle What's-his-face?

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bmxhacksaw said:
Hammering on a MUT in any conditions sound pretty stupid.
there are plenty of sections devoid of any traffic. where i get on the trail is in the low rent area. you run into people when you get to the money'd part of town.

the Western Maryland Rail Trail is empty about a mile from Hancock heading west - you can drop the hammer on that and not pass a soul for 20 miles.

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
Agreed that hammering on a MUT is an accident waiting to happen. I guess I'm lucky in that I have a 20 mile out&back MUT not too far from my house that if I ride early enough, I am often the only person on the trail.

Wait too long, though, and it's joggers, strollers, dogs on leashes, and kids on training wheels. Nobody knows to stay to their right. An "on the left" is just as likely to scare them into jumping to their left as anything else. Dog walkers seem to enjoy letting their dogs walk on the opposite side, stringing the leash across the trail. Hammering (not that I do that much of it anyway) at that point is no longer an option.

·
just ride your bike
518 Posts
asciibaron said:
i ride the trail from Jumper's Hole down to Old County - take Old County back to Evergreen, then back on the trail. if i want to work it on the hill on Old County i'll reverse it.

Old County is a mess right now - they milled it and are repaving in sections - the winding hill part is rough. i've been working on my handling skills on it :thumbsup:

the pileup was in the empty section north of Earleigh Heights Rd halfway between the bridge and the road crossing.

the B&A is great if the weather isn't sun shiny and calm. the worst is the pacelines on the airport loop. i use that for a short section over 195 and then hop back on 170 if i'm heading toward Odenton from Ferndale.

sounds like you need to HTFU and go out with me. :D
I usually ride around Broadneck, Annapolis, and Crownsville, so the only parts of the B&A I would see are from Evergreen southward. Old County is a bit messy, but my 32c tires don't mind. I have to take the trail from B&A Blvd to Arnold Station, but from there cut to the right to go through Chase Creek. There's a great hill back there, and the neighborhood roads dump you off right at the end of the trail onto 450 into Annapolis.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
If there are any runners or walkers on a MUT, I slow way the heck down--like to 15mph. Too many people do "crazy Ivans" on trails like that (suddenly veer to one side or the other, or do a u-turn, all without looking--usually preceded by checking their "sports" watch).

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Try to ride the MUT at first light, even if there are runners on the trail, they are not a nuisance at that time; it's after 10:00 AM on weekends that the baby joggers, rollerblades and dogwalkers magically appear.

We just finished a thread on the crazy drivers in the DC area, so the W&OD offers a little safety and you can also get on some very nice roads in Leesburg (Dry Mill Road) and Purceville.

I have never done the B&A, buthad a firend who wrecked there earlier this summer. The wreck involved a little old lady on a fixie.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
I don't understand the folks who walk on the MUT trail near my house. There are so many nicer areas to walk, such as parks, the river front, etc. I can understand joggers and cyclists, since they both desire long stretches of car-free flat asphalt, but if I'm walking and can go almost *anywhere* very easily, the last place I'm going to head is some crappy MUT.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts