Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

SRAM Red or short getaways?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with the idea of going towards SRAM Red for awhile now and am tossing between that or DA 7900.

Now, I love my DA 7800 groupset on my road bike but I thought it might be nice to try something new. Of course, this eliminates 7900 anyway.

So, if I were to go ahead with this idea, what's the best way to proceed with the upgrade so to speak?

Brakes, crankset and then the R/FDs and shifters?

I'll move my DA group slowly to my TT bike. Or, I could just use it on my TT bike (Red) as well.

I suppose it makes more sense to 'upgrade' the roadie to Red since I'd be using that a whole lot more than the TT rig anyway.

What sayeth you guys? Still not decided on whether I would wanna go ahead with this or not, but it's definitely not gonna be a whole group at once and just bit by bit. Another reason I'm thinking of going with the brake set first is also because the TT bike's brake pulleys are already rusted (omg wtf??) so it'd be nice to have a cleaner looking bike.

I'll see how much of a discount my LBS would give me (I get anything from 10-20%, depending on what I buy. The owner gave me a cool ~10% off my TT bike I got last year) to factor that into things of course.

Another option is to use the money to go on a short trip in this region and add air miles and a cool short vacation of course!

//I know Rival is the best bang for buck, but I really like the looks of the Red shifters, along with the RD and crankset. Additionally, although I'm not a weight weenie, I figured that if I were to get a new group, I don't want it to be heavier than my current configuration.

Not that weight matters (I know) but, I just don't feel I'll be very satisfied with a heavier new component and then have the urge to 'upgrade' once again in future. If I get Red (mostly), I'd at least feel contented and not bother, up till the urge for a new frame etc etc. comes along again in a few years.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
uzziefly said:
.....Another option is to use the money to go on a short trip in this region and add air miles and a cool short vacation of course!
This is more like it.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MB1 said:
This is more like it.
I thought so too when this idea flashed in my head.

Only 'problem' is that I don't particularly have anywhere in this area that I'd like to fly to, other than up to Kuala Lumpur again to hang with my cousin and young nieces or to Jakarta to hang with my buddy.

Otherwise, I'm not too keen on anywhere else honestly (If you exclude long haul miles back to the US and domestic flights there of course).

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
uzziefly said:
I thought so too when this idea flashed in my head.

Only 'problem' is that I don't particularly have anywhere in this area that I'd like to fly to, other than up to Kuala Lumpur again to hang with my cousin and young nieces or to Jakarta to hang with my buddy.

Otherwise, I'm not too keen on anywhere else honestly (If you exclude long haul miles back to the US and domestic flights there of course).
There is never a rush to spend money. Save for the trip you want.

Stuff comes and goes :mad2: but memories last forever :thumbsup: .

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MB1 said:
There is never a rush to spend money. Save for the trip you want.

You been spending lotsa time with Len J lately I see. :D

Right. Screw SRAM! I may still save for it, albeit it would now be more minimal and more would be geared towards air miles instead.

//This rush comes from installing a new cockpit for my TT rig I suppose. AND getting new brake levers for a complete cockpit overhaul of that bike after a looong overdue IMO.

///What's your address in Florida? Sounds like I'll now have enough to head there since the bike ain't a priority anymore. :ihih:

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
uzziefly said:
I've been toying with the idea of going towards SRAM Red for awhile now and am tossing between that or DA 7900.
If you're considering staying with DA, be aware that the necessary pull on the brake calipers is not the same as 7800. It's my understanding that the 7900 requires a shorter pull to engage the brakes. So.... mixing different generation DA calipers and levers may not work as smoothly as you'd like.

I stay out of the heated SRAM vs Shimano debates for the most part. I've ridden some bikes equipped with Red, and the double-tap shifting just ain't my bag. Maybe it's because I've ridden DA for a long, long time. Several of my friends ride Red, and swear they'll never ride anything else. A certain Andrea is kinda fond of it also. :) Ultimately, either one is a top-notch group and will give you years of great service.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JustTooBig said:
If you're considering staying with DA, be aware that the necessary pull on the brake calipers is not the same as 7800. It's my understanding that the 7900 requires a shorter pull to engage the brakes. So.... mixing different generation DA calipers and levers may not work as smoothly as you'd like.

I stay out of the heated SRAM vs Shimano debates for the most part. I've ridden some bikes equipped with Red, and the double-tap shifting just ain't my bag. Maybe it's because I've ridden DA for a long, long time. Several of my friends ride Red, and swear they'll never ride anything else. A certain Andrea is kinda fond of it also. :) Ultimately, either one is a top-notch group and will give you years of great service.
And here are the arguments for not raking up air miles, making me think YET again :mad2: :p

I suppose I would actually try Red out first just to make sure it's what I'll like since I am planning on upgrading anyway in future. It's just a matter of time now vs before MB1 suggested I work towards my preferred destinations instead.

For now, I'm leaning towards Red in future (not near future since it would also be a step by step upgrade) instead of 7900 just coz of the 'minor issues with 7900 so far' and also because I'd like to try something new rather than just get a lighter version of the group set that I currently have (shifting performance is probably negligible compared to 7800?). I'm yearning to test ride a bike with Red so I'll have to check my LBS out for the new Madones with them. They won't charge me but I'm not sure with other stores.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Creakyknees said:
you'll shoot you're eye out!
Not before you pee in yer pants.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
MB1 said:
Only if yer brain is working. I have to take pictures... :rolleyes:

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chain said:
Only if yer brain is working. I have to take pictures... :rolleyes:
Pictures help make and strengthen memories.

//Crap, now you reminded me that I also plan on a DSLR in future. I'll just have to decide if bike or camera is a bigger priority.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
IMHO 7800 I'd just stick with the 7800 unless it is worn out. If you want force/red then buy a complete bike, it will probably be around the same price as a complete grouppo. I've got 5 year old 7800 that shifts like new. I haven't even thought about replacement.

The best option, save the money and go on vacation, or...... H&B...

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I'm a rather firm believer that you should leave it alone unless it is not working properly - but - on one of my bikes I have Red brifters and RD, an Ultegra FD and cassette and a Sram 1070 chain. Everything is working nicely and I love the Red shifters. Being able to pull the paddle back with you as you are riding is very comfy and a nice addition when descending....

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Everybody I know that has been running Red stuff always has problems with it being noisy. I think that since it has the same spacing as Shimano the hot set up would be Red shifters and derailleurs with a Dura Ace chain and cassette.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
why waste money on upgrades you don't need? i'd understand it more if you were riding crap components, but you're not. keep the money. move to SRAM when you feel you need to, not just because you want to throw away a bunch of money.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
You have a well working bike and groupset. If you spend the big bucks to go to SRAM, you'll still have it same thing. Maybe newer and slightly different, but still the same thing. Get the DSLR
Where are your pictures from the F1 Malaysian Grand Prix?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
IMO....red is an upgrade just for upgrades sake. If it ain't broke why fix it.

Plus...that Red Crank is FUGLY
Plus that red hollow cassette is noisy.

MB1 is right...pay for the memories.

Len

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
VaughnA said:
IMHO 7800 I'd just stick with the 7800 unless it is worn out. If you want force/red then buy a complete bike, it will probably be around the same price as a complete grouppo. I've got 5 year old 7800 that shifts like new. I haven't even thought about replacement.

The best option, save the money and go on vacation, or...... H&B...
Oh the upgrade is to actually mainly shift 7800 to the TT bike since I just hate those Tektro brakes to begin with and I absolutely love the smoothness of 7800's shifting.

Sure, the TT levers are DA but the rest is 105. I don't particularly dig the 105 so much when I compare it to 7800. It works fine without any doubt, especially with the friction/index shifting of the TT shifters but I'd like the upgrade.

I actually have considered another set of 7800 since that way, I won't need to get brifters since I already use the DA bar end shifters on my TT rig anyway so I can actually save $$.

As far as a new bike goes, well, I did toy with the idea of getting a 'cheap' aluminum Trek frame (1000 series, all aluminum) for bad weather and move the 105 components from the TTX to that and have 3 functional road rides overall. This would be for the heavy downpours, or post rain rides etc so that I can keep the lifespan of the paint on my Madone up and such.

And, if I get a new bike instead of a group set, I'd be left with a set of partly rusted Tektro brakes and still want an upgrade on the TT rig anyway. Plus, 105 shifters would be much cheaper than DA/Red to begin with, thus making the DA 7800 seem like the smartest choice for me in future. I'm just not sure if it'll still be available when I do decide to make the purchases of components (looking for brand new by the way)

As far as Force/Red once again, I actually only really want the Red shifters, cranks and RD perhaps (maybe not too). I'm more than fine with a Force mix if it's going on the TT bike but if it's for my road bike, I just personally prefer all Red. Just a personal thing that's all. Once again, I'm also wondering if the SRAM set is going on the road or TT bike as well as this would play part between Force or Red for the specific parts. Black crank arms on a black bike doesn't look as aesthetic as the silver/chrome colored cranks on the same bike.

Qstick333 said:
I'm a rather firm believer that you should leave it alone unless it is not working properly - but - on one of my bikes I have Red brifters and RD, an Ultegra FD and cassette and a Sram 1070 chain. Everything is working nicely and I love the Red shifters. Being able to pull the paddle back with you as you are riding is very comfy and a nice addition when descending....
Yup, I'll use all SRAM if I do go on SRAM indeed. Pull the paddle? You mean the shifter levers? Or?

I'm only considering because I do plan on upgrading the componentry of my TT bike and this is the main stimulus for thinking about Red or 7800 or 7900 even. I'm perfectly fine with what my roadie :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts