Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't live in a densely populated city, but I've already had a few near misses avoiding pedestrians who were playing Pokemon GO and not paying attention to the traffic patterns. Pedestrian cell phone zombies have been problems in the past, albeit much less frequent. Now it appears to be happening a lot more with this new game. The game itself is pretty cool, but I don't understand why people can't be more careful where they're walking. This just adds to the myriads of drivers I see using their phones while piloting their metal cages.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
The appeal of this game is lost on me. Like a sped-up version of Geocache I suppose.

Don't think smart-phone zombies need another excuse for wandering aimlessly. It's either this, or a text, or a Snapchat photo.......hardly matters.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
All I have to say is that it's gotten my kid outdoors more recently, so I'm all for it. Both my kids play way to many video games. How did I ever survive childhood with 3 TV channels and Pong?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
All I have to say is that it's gotten my kid outdoors more recently, so I'm all for it. Both my kids play way to many video games. How did I ever survive childhood with 3 TV channels and Pong?
Trespassing reports are up. Oh yea, Pokemon Go has been the source point of many armed robberies/assaults thanks to the data that is shared. Oh yea, and the odd dead body.

I'm just waiting for the reports of kids dumb enough to trespass onto military bases for the damn game to start.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I don't know what makes me more embarrassed, that I was an adult who was enamored with Pokemon in the late 90's / early 00's, or that I hadn't heard of Pokemon Go until like 2 days ago. Still haven't looked at it myself, but seems to be creating quite a stir.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
If you were 8-10 years old when Pokemon was new and first popular in the US, you're in your mid-20s now. So there's a lot of nostalgia attached to something that is also social and creates a scavenger hunt like sense of adventure.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Must be a generational thing. Other than biking, I can't think of a single thing that I was into during my pre-teen years that I would have wanted to do again in my 20s (20 years ago).

I just watched a story on our local news channel that showed teenagers and 20-somethings talking about playing Pokemon Go in our downtown area. I felt embarrassed for them.

·
Proud luddite
7,223 Posts
I'm astounded that people over the age of 10 are into this thing.
My sentiments exactly. I don't get it. I just don't get it. But I guess since I just turned 50 I'm encroaching on "old man syndrome" so I'm going to embrace this and will yell at the Pokémon freaks to get the hell off my lawn with reckless abandon. :)

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
i don't live in a densely populated city, but i've already had a few near misses avoiding pedestrians who were playing pokemon go and not paying attention to the traffic patterns. Pedestrian cell phone zombies have been problems in the past, albeit much less frequent. Now it appears to be happening a lot more with this new game. The game itself is pretty cool, but i don't understand why people can't be more careful where they're walking. This just adds to the myriads of distracted drivers i see using their phones while piloting their metal cages of death.
fify!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
There was a fairly large fracas on one of the more crowded sections of our most popular MUT yesterday. A fairly large group of people (adults and children), most of whom probably don't understand the rules of the trail, were running around and in and out of bushes, standing in the middle of the trail staring down at their phones, oblivious... There were bike commuters who are used to cruising through that area at 15mph or more every day who were literally having to come to a stop to avoid hitting someone. Voices were raised, insults were thrown around, people were immensley frustrated.

There was one accident that I know of that was specifically caused by this. A cyclist (very casual type in summer clothes on a cruiser) was riding along at about 10mph when a PokePerson abruptly walked out in front of them, not looking at all. The cyclist had to swerve to avoid them, and ended up running into a group of people who were standing off the side of the trail staring at their phone trying to catch a Pokething. The cyclist had mostly slowed and came to a stop, and there were no serious injuries, but one little girl about 7 years old was knocked to the ground and had a few bumps and bruises. She wouldn't stop crying. The whole thing kinda ruined everyones day.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Other than biking, I can't think of a single thing that I was into during my pre-teen years that I would have wanted to do again.
I can think of one. :D

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I saw this girl crossing the street today, her face was 6" from her phone. I thought, that was odd. She was probably playing.
I was walking and did not walk into her.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
How come all you guys who are younger than me are such cranky old farts already?

Whenever I'm tempted to say "what is it with kids these days?" I try to remember the flak I got for my long hair 50 years ago.

Sorry, I can't resist the occasional annoying baby-boomer flashback.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Don't think smart-phone zombies need another excuse for wandering aimlessly. It's either this, or a text, or a Snapchat photo.......hardly matters.
Well, at least now "gamers" get out of the house and walk a bit. This should help lower obesity levels eventually.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
What is sad is that Arlington National Cemetery and the U.S. Holocaust Museum have had to remind people that playing Pokémon Go at those locations is inappropriate.
:rolleyes:

Did Arlington Cemetery really need to say this to Pokémon GO players? Evidently yes. ? twitchy.com
It is inevitable. All these gadgets have removed the requirement for brains or common decency.

Look what advanced avionics and quadcopters did to the R/C scene. You have tools with quadcopters trespassing and video recording on/over other people's property.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts