Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just screwed on the cleats on my new shoes and first great thing I find is that, I'm missing one screw. Ok not too big a deal, I'll just go to the shop I got the cleats from and ask them for the extra screw right? Well, that should be it.

I then realize, upon comparison with both sides, that one cleat is not in the same position as the other.

So my question is, how do you get the cleats on both shoes to align properly?

My Nike shoes have some silver markings that are now covered up because I pasted the sandpaper provided onto the sole of the shoes so that they won't mark the soles/so that the cleats would stay in place (or whatever other reason people use the sandpapers for carbon soles anyway).

And, what other way, other than using eye judgment, is there to get a good positioning of the cleats, with respect to my other pair of shoes?

I ask because this is the first time I actually have more than one pair of shoes that I would be using in rotation and I don't wanna have the new shoes with cleats in odd positions that would screw my knees up or something.

(That's not to say the old positioning was perfect and the new cleats might well be in a better spot even)

So to sum up : How to ensure equal cleat position on a new shoe that's never been 'cleated' before? Screw the old shoe position. To an extent.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andrea138 said:
I slide my cleats nearly as far back as they'll go, which is both comfortable, and makes it easy to get them both in the same spot
Hmm guess I'll try that. Thanks.

But, a slight position difference won't really mess things up as well I figure.

I just wish I could see the damn silver markings now but the sandpaper covered one side's totally.

Wait, far back meaning, for Shimano cleats, the top screw is darn near the yellow/red rubber base then I suppose? What about laterally then?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Years ago someone created something. They called it....the ruler.
BAM!!!!!

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Use your eye judgment, or go to a pro fitter.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Done! Thanks.

Well, almost.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Put a dot on the side of the shoe where the center of the ball of your foot is. Mount the shoe in the cleat and measure the distance from your dot to the center of the pedal axle. Put the same dot on your new shoes and take your new measurement and mount the cleats. Not only is it easy, but it gives you consistency between brands etc......

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Qstick333 said:
Put a dot on the side of the shoe where the center of the ball of your foot is. Mount the shoe in the cleat and measure the distance from your dot to the center of the pedal axle. Put the same dot on your new shoes and take your new measurement and mount the cleats. Not only is it easy, but it gives you consistency between brands etc......
Sounds dotty.

My shoes are black fwiw so I'd need a white marker and that would uglify teh shooz. I used Andrea's method in a way and that worked.

Thanks though.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By the way, if I ride with 2 out of 3 screws on one of the cleats, would it mess things up?

I ask because I didn't manage to go to the LBS that I got the cleats from and I also forgot to ask for the missing screw/base from another shop I checked out today.

//Andrea, I like how the cleats feel when flushed all the way back actually. It feels like it's in a 'power' spot under my foot when compared to sliding it a little forward. At least, it's just a perception so I'll test em out tomorrow maybe on a ride and see how I like it.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
uzziefly said:
By the way, if I ride with 2 out of 3 screws on one of the cleats, would it mess things up?

I ask because I didn't manage to go to the LBS that I got the cleats from and I also forgot to ask for the missing screw/base from another shop I checked out today.

//Andrea, I like how the cleats feel when flushed all the way back actually. It feels like it's in a 'power' spot under my foot when compared to sliding it a little forward. At least, it's just a perception so I'll test em out tomorrow maybe on a ride and see how I like it.
I rode my bike with a screw missing out of one of the cleats for over a year...didn't hurt anything. but i wouldn't recommend it.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JohnHenry said:
I rode my bike with a screw missing out of one of the cleats for over a year...didn't hurt anything. but i wouldn't recommend it.
Your but (the word, not the anatomy) makes me apprehensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts