Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started my lunchtime NNC today it was calm, sunny and 50F. Heading to Lyons and back--about a 25 mile roundtrip. Soon as I got to the turnaround point it got really cold, wind picked up to about 40MPH (crosswind and headwind) and started to rain, hail and snow. Luckily I had enough foul weather gear on so I didn't totally freeze, but I thought I was gonna get blown into the road a couple of times. I've since cleaned my bike, but thought I'd share these pix of it after today's ride. No...it's not a cyclocross bike. ;) Typical weather here in spring.

·
Registered
212 Posts
lol Bocephus I got caught in the very beginning of that wind storm coming back in on 36! fortunately I was back early enough that I didn't get snowed on.

if it's March in Boulder, it must be snowing, right? and if it's 70F it's gotta be January.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
weapons grade chaos said:
lol Bocephus I got caught in the very beginning of that wind storm coming back in on 36! fortunately I was back early enough that I didn't get snowed on.

if it's March in Boulder, it must be snowing, right? and if it's 70F it's gotta be January.
I weigh 200 and I was getting knocked around like a kite out there...kinda scary when the wind knocks you 3 feet towards a lane of 65MPH traffic. Lucky the shoulders there are plenty wide to correct.

// You might have seen me heading out. I was wearing a bright orange vest riding a big Colnago.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I weigh 200 and I was getting knocked around like a kite out there...

// You might have seen me heading out. I was wearing a bright orange vest riding a big Colnago.
yikes, yea I'm a skinny dork and not all that big (5'9", 133 as of this morning) and it was all I could do to keep the rubber side down at times. do they make extra special wind or something out there by the ranch road entrance? kinda where that first big roller is north of Lee Hill.

what color / make Colnago? one of the Swift dudes rides the old orange Rabobank one and hes pretty tall, but somehow I dont think that's you. I also had my head down trying not to get blown into traffic like you said. I have one of the Festina Specialized bikes, its like five or six years old now. I had on an old blue Biemme winter jacket and some CU tights from 2 seasons ago and a red and silver CSC ghisallo. yea I'm riding for team clash, but when it's cold out I just pile on everything I own.

·
Registered
212 Posts
duh nevermind on the bike

Bocephus Jones II said:
I weigh 200 and I was getting knocked around like a kite out there...kinda scary when the wind knocks you 3 feet towards a lane of 65MPH traffic. Lucky the shoulders there are plenty wide to correct.

tho holy crap you can hardly tell what color it is dude! looks like a black and white masterlight, is that what that is?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
weapons grade chaos said:
yikes, yea I'm a skinny dork and not all that big (5'9", 133 as of this morning) and it was all I could do to keep the rubber side down at times. do they make extra special wind or something out there by the ranch road entrance? kinda where that first big roller is north of Lee Hill.

what color / make Colnago? one of the Swift dudes rides the old orange Rabobank one and hes pretty tall, but somehow I dont think that's you. I also had my head down trying not to get blown into traffic like you said. I have one of the Festina Specialized bikes, its like five or six years old now. I had on an old blue Biemme winter jacket and some CU tights from 2 seasons ago and a red and silver CSC ghisallo. yea I'm riding for team clash, but when it's cold out I just pile on everything I own.
62cm Master X in AD-4 (black/white). I hear you. I didn't notice too many people today either. Too busy keeping my line straight.

·
Registered
727 Posts
weapons grade- get a bell sweep, fool. we call the ghisallo the jizz-alo at my workplace/lbs. heeheehee
bocephus- your bike is in disgusting condition with all that muck on it. i ride a 60/62, so send it up to me and i will clean it every day for free.
:p
I'm gonna have to get used to stronger winds, because apparently lethbridge, where i'm moving next year for school (it's right on the montana border) is like WIND CENTRAL. yikes. i am in the mountains like you mofos though. calgary, alberta, just about 100 k from canmore. (canada's answer to boulder) keep it real, kids.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cmatcan said:
weapons grade- get a bell sweep, fool. we call the ghisallo the jizz-alo at my workplace/lbs. heeheehee
bocephus- your bike is in disgusting condition with all that muck on it. i ride a 60/62, so send it up to me and i will clean it every day for free.
I'm gonna have to get used to stronger winds, because apparently lethbridge, where i'm moving next year for school (it's right on the montana border) is like WIND CENTRAL. yikes. i am in the mountains like you mofos though. calgary, alberta, just about 100 k from canmore. (canada's answer to boulder) keep it real, kids.
I cleaned it right after I took the pic. I might leave a MTB in that kind of condition, but not a road bike.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cmatcan said:
I cleaned it right after I took the pic. I might leave a MTB in that kind of condition, but not a road bike.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
doublepost...

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I'm disappointed.

I had a windy ride yesterday but it looks like I didn't have as much fun as you:rolleyes: Mine was dry but the wind was just as bad. On the one stretch that I had a tailwind I almost spun out in my 50x12. WEeeeeeee! I normally can sustain a speed of about 27-29 mph on that road on a good day, but yesterday it was 37! Wha-hoo! We won't discuss the other stretches where I was heading into/across it....Suffice it to say that I got thrown like a garbage can lid.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kram59 said:
I had a windy ride yesterday but it looks like I didn't have as much fun as you:rolleyes: Mine was dry but the wind was just as bad. On the one stretch that I had a tailwind I almost spun out in my 50x12. WEeeeeeee! I normally can sustain a speed of about 27-29 mph on that road on a good day, but yesterday it was 37! Wha-hoo! We won't discuss the other stretches where I was heading into/across it....Suffice it to say that I got thrown like a garbage can lid.
Yeah...when the wind was with me I was doing 40 where I'd normally have been lucky to break 30. Scary thing was the crosswinds though. I'd be riding along at about 40 and all of a sudden it felt like someone yanked my bars to the left. Not a very good feeling at that speed.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
True dat! I tried to stay in the trees as much as possible (not hard to do here) but when I got out, yowsa!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts