Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my Sugoi RS shorts (the L, not the XL) are tearing around the chamois. I've really liked the fit and comfort of them, but am afraid of it happening again. Granted, it could be because they might be too small.
I want to replace them with bibs, and am consdering the 400 mile bibs. Those, or the least expensive Assos. I'm concerned if I get the DeSoto bibs, people might think I'm into triathlons. I don't see anyone but tri shops selling these, and no one local in Houston I can check out before buying. Does anyone have the DeSotos? Doe they look like regular cycling shorts?
These will be for my long rides. Any input would be appreciated. I could just go back to the Sugois, or even try PI's too.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Peanya said:
I'm concerned if I get the DeSoto bibs, people might think I'm into triathlons.
Skroo'em. :) If they make you feel happy then they're good ones. Try others, it's a good time of year to find some bargains.

BTW I bought some of the less expensive Assos bib knickers at CC when they were on sale earlier this year. I've ridden them twice and they're not my favorite, at least the chamois.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I prefer a thicker, somewhat firm chamois. The FX chamois in the Sugois are nice. The chamois in my Voler bibs is very uncomfortable over distances. What was the Assos chamois like?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I went from the Sugoi RS to the deSoto bibs.

Loved my Sugoi, but the frabric is pretty thin and they ended up getting "transparent" in the most unfortunate of places (crack). Some saddlebag rub finally killed them.

The deSoto are awesome. I've had them for about 6 weeks now, done a couple of centuries and plenty of 50-70 mile rides. I love them! Fabric is thicker, so hopefully will last a lot longer. I live in NM and the thicker fabric doesn't bother me at all temperature wise. It fits me very very well. You can get in touch with the CS department, and they'll give you a recommendation based on weight on some of your measurements (quick response too).

The straps are more comfy than the RS for me (I'm 6'5"), Legs are close, I'd say perhaps the RS were a bit nice by a very small margin.

It has some pockets too on the legs, which I've come to appreciate - I use them to keep empty gel wrappers and leave the full ones in my jersey pockets.

I'd buy these again in a heartbeat (although I'm tempted to try the Assos Mile too).

I got mine directly from desoto, but gearandtraining.com sells them and often has 20% off coupons, so if you are not in a hurry you'll get them for around $30 less.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
265 Posts
kykr13 said:
Skroo'em. :) If they make you feel happy then they're good ones. Try others, it's a good time of year to find some bargains.

BTW I bought some of the less expensive Assos bib knickers at CC when they were on sale earlier this year. I've ridden them twice and they're not my favorite, at least the chamois.
Which ones are those? The Uno bibs?

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Waves77 said:
Which ones are those? The Uno bibs?
F1.Uno with an orange chamois. These are the only Assos shorts (well, knickers in this case) I have but the entire world says they're great, so maybe I'm weird. I happen to like Voler...

·
Registered
265 Posts
kykr13 said:
F1.Uno with an orange chamois. These are the only Assos shorts (well, knickers in this case) I have but the entire world says they're great, so maybe I'm weird. I happen to like Voler...
Yeah, I think if I bought Assos I would at least spring for the Mile. There's just too many bibs in the uno price range that seem to get better reviews.

I have a pair of hammer nutrition branded volers, but they kill my behind for anything +60 miles.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gearandtraining has the best price I've seen on the 400 miles.
Might get those from there.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rydbyk said:
no shorts. bibs!:thumbsup:
Definitely bibs. Love the feel of my Voler Lounge bibs. If they had a better Chamois, they'd be my favorite.
Would get a new Gulf Lounge kit, but don't have the funds. Barely can afford the ones I want now. Saw some Castelli bibs(the free ride ones I think they're called) that look very nice, but haven't heard anything about them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts