Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I could research more (and I will), but I want the trusted opinion of teh Lounge, and it's more fun to act like a n00b and post a question that's been asked 11ty times already. I plan on racing- adventure racing, some endurance, some XC... From what I've researched so far, a 29er is looking like fun.

My plan so far is to ride some demo bikes in town and attend the Trek demo day that's coming up in April. I'll admit, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to having somewhat lightweight stuff and higher end components. I'm likely to have about $2500 to play with (hopefully I can save that much!), and I may work part time at a bike shop over the summer so I can get discounted stuff/work to pay for some of it.

What sayeth the LOUNGE?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i like my trek fuel98. the current model is named something else.

titus racer-x would probably be a good fit for you tho. and you can get a 29'er too if you desire.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
When I was last buying a mountain bike I looked at the treks.... then I rode the Specialized Epic and laughed my a$$ off that trek would even try to sell their mountain bikes at the same price. Not to confuse because trek makes some great stuff but if a $2000-$2500 FS mtn bike is what you want then you should look at the Specialized Epic. Theres probably some others that are also good but that bike was just awesome to the point that I didnt even look any further.

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
Dude. Dude!

Carbon Santa Cruz Blur XC.

Sure, it's way over $2500 and not a 29er, but you should get it anyway because I will then be able to live vicariously through you. And that is obviously what all big decisions should be based upon.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
I desperately want a Salsa Dos Niner. Seems like a perfect marriage of light weight with a little travel for fast XC, and 29" wheels.

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Yeti ASR alloy in pink

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Yeah, I could research more (and I will), but I want the trusted opinion of teh Lounge, and it's more fun to act like a n00b and post a question that's been asked 11ty times already. I plan on racing- adventure racing, some endurance, some XC... From what I've researched so far, a 29er is looking like fun.

My plan so far is to ride some demo bikes in town and attend the Trek demo day that's coming up in April. I'll admit, I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to having somewhat lightweight stuff and higher end components. I'm likely to have about $2500 to play with (hopefully I can save that much!), and I may work part time at a bike shop over the summer so I can get discounted stuff/work to pay for some of it.

What sayeth the LOUNGE?
Get a Redline Monocog 29er, HTFU and pocket the other $2000?

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
Are you mainly thinking a hardtail or looking at full suspension also? What types of trails do you imagine most of your riding would be done on?

Arkysaw will be a good place to come ride: Womble Trail and Ouachita Trail is in the central to south/central part of the state and also the Syllamo Trails in the north-central area of the state. You may be interested in the Ouachita Challenge race next year: www.ouachitachallenge.com

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would definitely ride in Arkansas a lot- I'd really like a bike that can go anywhere.
I've heard different schools of thought on going full suspension- some people say it's not needed w/a 29er and that rear suspension is not great when you start getting tired during really long rides (because you'll lose some force to pedal bob), but others say that FS is the only way to go for really long rides because they're more comfortable.

I live a few hours drive from Competitive Cyclist, so I can go try a bike or two there as well. Here are their demos: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mountain-bikes/demo-bike

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Check out a Santa Cruz over at RB's.

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
FS vs HT is really going to be personal preference. I don't think one vs the other will really help make significant time gains over the other inmost terrain. I think a lot of people like HT's due to the simplicity and they also feel more connected to the terrain. I rode a low end ($300) HT mtn bike for several years through college and wanted a FS when I could afford a new bike, and that's what I ended up w/ (a 4-5" travel specialized enduro).

If you are thinking xc races but also endurance races and aren't sold on HT's and also are uneasy thinking about a FS "robbing" your power, consider a 3-4" travel FS bike. I would think at your price range you could get something with stable/platform valving so it feels pretty solid and doesn't bob much on smoother terrain, but would take the edge off on rougher terrain.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
phil. said:
FS vs HT is really going to be personal preference. I don't think one vs the other will really help make significant time gains over the other inmost terrain. I think a lot of people like HT's due to the simplicity and they also feel more connected to the terrain. I rode a low end ($300) HT mtn bike for several years through college and wanted a FS when I could afford a new bike, and that's what I ended up w/ (a 4-5" travel specialized enduro).

If you are thinking xc races but also endurance races and aren't sold on HT's and also are uneasy thinking about a FS "robbing" your power, consider a 3-4" travel FS bike. I would think at your price range you could get something with stable/platform valving so it feels pretty solid and doesn't bob much on smoother terrain, but would take the edge off on rougher terrain.
My other MTB is a Fisher Sugar (non 29er)--it has so little travel it rides more like a FS than hardtail--even when climbing. If I was to get another FS I'd look into Fisher and I'd go 29er this time. I really like their geometry...helps me stick the read wheel for climbs while other bikes I've tried I have to be way over the TT to not have the front wheel come off the ground when it gets steep.

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
phil. said:
Arkysaw will be a good place to come ride: Womble Trail and Ouachita Trail is in the central to south/central part of the state and also the Syllamo Trails in the north-central area of the state.
Seriously. The Civilian Conservation Corps built Womble is frickin' magical, historic, fun as all hell. There's something that can't be crafted into words about riding trails that a bunch of hard as nails workers sculpted out of impossibly steep hillsides in the 1930s. Some trails are fun. Some are beautiful. CCC trails are art. Syllamo is the epitome of a choose your adventure trail with plenty of rollercoasters from which to select. And if you can hit it in the right time of fall, you'll need a cigarette and sammich for afterwards.

Phi - damn you and your way of making me lust for far away trails!

Andrea - Suspension designs have come a long way from the days of hardtails being race bikes and fullies being energy sucking comfort bikes. There are a lot of suspension designs that manage pedal bob, brake jacking, and efficiency really, really well - if set up properly. The vast majority of XC FS suspension comes with lockout mechanisms as well.

As for whether you will enjoy as Fully over a hardtail, or softtail like the Dos Niner, it is a personal decision and depends a lot on which trails you'll be riding. Sure, hardtails are still usually lighter at the same pricepoint, but when it comes to loose, rooty, or ledgey climbing, fullies can make it easier to keep both tires on the ground and not spinning out - giving the potential for easier climbing.

For me, I've done a 13 hour race solo on a SS HT and the Hellride on an All-Mountain bike - which means I really don't have a clue what an ideal bike for long distance racing/riding would be. I figure, it's about creating a versatile quiver of bikes. If I were you, and you already had a lightweight 26er HT, meaning I already had one too, I'd probably shoot for a FS next, and then a racey 29 HT after that. And then I'd get a bigger FS bike, and a stock trials bike (assuming both you and I already have a mod trials bike, an ice-cream getting cruiser, and a commuter).

So, obviously, you need a lot more bikes.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
B15serv said:
When I was last buying a mountain bike I looked at the treks.... then I rode the Specialized Epic and laughed my a$$ off that trek would even try to sell their mountain bikes at the same price. Not to confuse because trek makes some great stuff but if a $2000-$2500 FS mtn bike is what you want then you should look at the Specialized Epic. Theres probably some others that are also good but that bike was just awesome to the point that I didnt even look any further.
Don't compare the new Fuels with the active pivot with the older treks with the faux bar suspension. Completely different beasts. Trek is finally making a very competitive FS bike.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Try both and see what fits you and you feel best on. Some 29ers don't fit shorter riders very well although that limitation is being overcome. If I were doing adventure racing I'd go for FS. Long days in the saddle are much better with some cush. And the old 'bob robs power' bit doesn't really fly with modern suspensions. Most riders are faster on an FS bike.

And just like a road bike fit should be your number one priority. Even the best suspension and kit isn't worth a crap if it doesn't fit.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.