Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Canon Fodder
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing bricks as I continue my triathlon training. I was going to do a 30 mile/ 6 mile brick today in prep for next Sunday's Oshkosh Olympic Tri.

I left the house today around noon and set off for lake country. I never have too much of route in mind as I like to explore. I just wanted to ride hard today. Well I got into it and had to make some weird detours because of flooded roads around the lakes and ended back at the house after doing 50 miles. During the course of my ride I had drank my water bottle dry.

When I got home I needed to change socks because it went through about 10 in. of water across a flooded road. I also chugged some more G2 and set off for my 6 mile run. About half way into it I just ran out of gas, my mouth went dry and I had to finish the next 3 miles at a jog a bit , walk a bit.

Finally made it back (+ 10 minutes to my normal time) and drank another 16oz of G2. Feeling a little bit better I stepped on the scale and saw I had lost 8lbs.:mad2:

I felt great all through my ride, fluid intake was a little less because I took enough for 30 miles but I was never thirsty. I knew to hydrate again before I ran so I was a bit shocked to have bonked after 3 miles. I spent the rest of the afternoon rehydrating. I going to have to add some more bottle holders to the bike and be more carefull in the future.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
it was hot today....and humid with little wind. Take it easy tonight and keep hydrating man....

·
Registered
586 Posts
Your body can only store enough calories for 1 1/2 hrs of that intense exercise. I'm surprised this hasn't happened before. Maybe it has and you thought it was a fitness thing. I use to have that happen in early days of training. Also, you should be drinking at least a water bottle every hour. More if it's warm. You never mentioned electrolytes replacement. My program is to drink 1 bottle of cytomax every hour. Take a gel every 30 min, and I love sport legs. Recovery of sport legs is amazing. Almost eliminates soreness. Good luck in race.

·
Registered
396 Posts
asciibaron said:
what is a brick?
A ride, followed by a run...with just enough time in-between to change shoes. As you begin your run, your legs feel clunky and your feet feel like...bricks.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
waldo425 said:
Yet another reason why Ill never do a tri --- ever.
That and the whole swimming thing......

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Um, before reading this thread, a brick is something I need to repoint on my porch, and G2 sounds like an old mac?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Still interested in how you've gone to the work to find out about training bricks and getting faster and know nothing about the nutrition. The nutrition is every bit as important as the training. You need to add it in and have it figured out by race day. Old rule, "Nothing new on race day"

·
Canon Fodder
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
vontress said:
Still interested in how you've gone to the work to find out about training bricks and getting faster and know nothing about the nutrition. The nutrition is every bit as important as the training. You need to add it in and have it figured out by race day. Old rule, "Nothing new on race day"
I never bonked like this before. I eat well before and and almost always hydrate well stopping for more fluids if and when I run out. This particular day I failed to take in to account two things. One the added 20 miles on the bike, two I had not known what the real temp and humidity was. The ride felt great and in my mind it seemed like the temps were in the high 70's and it had not felt humid. The truth was it was in the high 80's and very humid. I didn't read my body signs till too late and I paid the price.

From your reply I would assume that you never did anything stupid in your training regime.
I just plainly F**ck*d up.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Experience is a great teacher, but she sends some pretty hefty bills.

Glad you're okay. I read a lot on Beginner Triathlete (website) about this sort of thing. It's a really good resource, FWIW.

·
Registered
586 Posts
No I made exactly the same mistakes, just earlier. My body may be more sensative to bonking. I hear people all the time that don't have the problems I do. I have to pay attention to nutrition religously or I run out of gas every time. It's just the worst, especially if you are really prepared and close to finishing.To your response that I never did anything stupid. Sorry to sound like that. I did everything stupid. I just did it sooner in my training. It's part of knowing your body. That's been a long journey for me and I'm still being stupid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts