Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
This video could be renamed "How bike manufacturers are not looking out for the consumer"

While the old school English or Italian square axle BB may have been deemed "inferior", they still seem to get the job done on 4 of my bikes
square taper sucks!!! i worked on them for 30 years and always disliked them. Saw easily a hundred failed square taper cranksets. Even Campy C record on my own bike.

I love the Shimano approach to hollowtech today. make that axle a permanent part of the r crankset. And 2 bolt left arm is the best system I have used - simple and solid. awesome

And now Shimano sells their English BB do the job better than any BB from 10-20 years ago, and the cost of their BB is pocket change, like thirty bucks. nice

I am not a fan of the press fit stuff though.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
GCN is spam?
He posted to a spammy website that's ripping off GCN by taking the video and copying it without their permission. The website he posted is illegally copying YouTube/GCN's content and hijacking it. GCN uploads their content to YouTube and does not give people rights to redistribute it.

Click on the "more videos". It's a badly done copy of GCN's YouTube channel page.

So yes, it is spam.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The video is decent for basic descriptions of the more popular BB types, and even a little about compatibility, but it would have been nice if he would have talked a little bit about the pro's and con's of each (other than creaking). Wider vs Narrower, Inboard vs Outboard, installation complexity, etc, etc...

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
The video is decent for basic descriptions of the more popular BB types, and even a little about compatibility, but it would have been nice if he would have talked a little bit about the pro's and con's of each (other than creaking). Wider vs Narrower, Inboard vs Outboard, installation complexity, etc, etc...
I haven't seen the video but I think I can sum that up for you.

Threaded: Pro: Works perfectly Con: None
Press fit: Pro: Marketing BS Con: Sucks

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Agreed. There's theoretical advantages to the new stuff, but they didn't translate well in real road conditions. Give the majority of riders two of the same frames, one with BSA and another with press fit and I doubt they would notice a difference.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts

Generally, yup. My current bike has PF and while I have experienced no issues or noises, the drive side is not anchored in the frame. The PF cup turns when I try to tighten or loosen the threaded cup that goes into it. (Praxis unit installed by bike manufacturer). Maybe it needed a better LockTite installation, but why should this be needed at all? One day I will have to punch out the PF cup and try to separate it from the BB threaded cup. A pointless PITA.

A simple threaded frame would work better.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

Making the axle larger in diameter and having it connected to the crank offer some advantages but using press fit is purely for the benefit of the frame manufactures. The situation we have now with many "standards", some proprietary, is a joke

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Making the axle larger in diameter and having it connected to the crank offer some advantages but using press fit is purely for the benefit of the frame manufactures. The situation we have now with many "standards", some proprietary, is a joke
I have never once thought, 'Gosh my bb isn't stiff enough'.. I just don't put out that kind of power and more than suspect most of us don't .

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I have never once thought, 'Gosh my bb isn't stiff enough'.. I just don't put out that kind of power and more than suspect most of us don't .
I think you're in the minority here. Most folks have been bending axles and snapping off square taper cranks for years like its our job. Thankfully someone released 8-12 new BB standards was the answer

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
It's funny how many world class riders do just fine sprinting on Pinarellos (I believe on of the last big sponsors to still use threaded) but some random dudes on the internet apparently need more stiffness than threaded can supply.
Of course Dogma's are kind of heavy and that's probably comes from extra carbon to build up the BB to be still stiff enough for world class sprinters. So there's a trade off and with all that extra weight it's no wonder Froome does so poorly climbing.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts

There are advantages...but great disadvantages as well.

With the old taper-axle becoming a crankarm-integrated-spindle you do get stiffness, and you can make things lighter. But you lose adjustability drastically. Remember how sq-tapers had an adjustable cup that let you take into account lack of manufacturing tolerance in the BB shell width sizing/centering? All these integrated-spindle systems are designed in CAD and engineered with basically zero mechanism for IRL manufacturing tolerance. The doubly becomes a problem in press-fit applications.

Which by itself would be a thing that much....if frame makers were building framesets like the Space Shuttle. But they're not. They all do it for bottom-most dollar they can get away with....which leads-to and compounds noise and play issues in these newer crank/BB systems. BSA threaded cups help one side of the problem, but the other still remains-which is that the crankset/axle has zero centering/sizing adjustability for out-of-tolerance frame manufacture.

·
Trænger til hjælp
133 Posts
The quest for lighter designs with low friction when you spin the cranks has, IMO, only led to bad designs or design, can only speak of PF30. Tiny bearing with no other real seal than what the bearing has, pretty exposed to nature.
It is just plain stupid, especially on MTB's.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts